Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: New to all this!  (Read 1338 times)

mon

New to all this!
« on: August 03, 2017, 02:50:53 PM »

Hi everyone
I'm so glad I found this forum as I am feeling very overwhelmed by the sense of discombobulation at the major shift in my body is having on me!
I'm not sure at what point I am but after being peri menopausal for at least 3 years my last period of sorts was last November ( 9 months ago)
So now the joys of disrupted sleep, night sweats, hair loss and currently, crippling thrush are mine to behold. I don't want to go down the HRT route and would prefer alternative remedies to help cope with these delights.
Any tips or pointers would be gratefully received!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: New to all this!
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2017, 02:56:23 PM »

:welcomemm:  alternatives may work for a while but if the hormones take over, benefit may be lost.  There is a 'room' where ladies have posted their experiences.

Crippling thrush?  is it or is it vaginal atrophy?  we have threads++ here about *that* one  >:(  ::).

As oestrogen levels drop the body may become dry: skin, hair, nostrils, deep in the ears, eyes, vagina ...... also muscles may become lax = aches and pains  :(.  VA treatment is a different type of HRT and often essential in keeping the vaginal area healthy, the idea being that lubricants may help but won't plump up the vaginal walls as HRT does.  For me it felt like razor blades up there  :o, once treatment started there was a vast improvement.  Some ladies are so dry down there that the 'lips' seal  :-X.  I also use KY Jelly prior to sex ...........

Maybe read the green treatment advice top of the pages.  Make notes  ;).   Ask!

mon

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 03:39:00 PM »

Thanks CLKD, I will have a scout about and see what I can find,  just getting used to the layout of this site so it may take a few attempts! :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 04:01:05 PM »

Let us know how you get on!  Nothing is taboo here.

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2017, 10:45:55 AM »

Hi mon

:welcomemm:

You haven't said how old you are but if you are under the natural average age of menopause (51/52) then HRT is advised to help protect heart and bones.

There is no need to suffer - as CLKD says alternatives only go so far - and HRT is generally accepted as the best remedy - unless you are contra-indicated medically.

I felt as you do so I quite understand - was determined to do it naturally - took Black Cohosh and baked phyto-oestrogen cake - but only HRT worked and have been on it for 10 years.

Re thursh etc - even if you don't take full HRT you really should ask for local oestrogen to prevent atrophy and associated discomfort to your vaginal tissues. There is information on the above tabs ( pale green banner).

Lifestyle changes are recommended if necessary to help maintain good health at this stage in life - (diet, exercise, alcohol, smoking, weight etc)

Hurdity x