Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Advice from anyone on best HRT to help Anxiety and depression  (Read 18814 times)

Hover

Hi

I am meeting with my GP tomorrow to talk about HRT possibilities and wondered if anyone has any experience on the best HRT to support with depression and anxiety symptoms.   I have been in peri for about 4 years - had the achey joints, headaches,  swollen breasts, irritatibillity etc but about 6 weeks ago had a melt down which developed into depression and anxiety (and insomnia).   I did have depression/anxiety before about 9 years ago and have been through a lot since then and been ok (father dying 2 years ago etc) but now am really struggling.

Any advice welcomed

Thanks

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Advice from anyone on best HRT to help Anxiety and depression
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 03:07:23 PM »

:welcomemm:

How certain are you that your anxiety and depression are hormonally linked? 

Browse round.  Make notes  ;)

Hover

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 03:23:08 PM »

I think my depression/anxiety is a combination of some significant hormonal changes (I went 11 months without a period and thought i was doing fine and then they started again with avengence and i really started to feel down/anxious about it) along with a couple of recent life events.

I know HRT alone is not going to be the complete answer but just trying to understand the options is quite difficult when you are already feeling uptight and confused.

Thanks

peri

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2017, 03:37:18 PM »

Hi Hover

Yours is a good question, and your symptoms sound like classic peri menopause.  I suffered with anxiety and low mood when I hit peri menopause.  I've tried several types of hrt and some have been better than others for this.  I can recommend evorel 50 patches which I'm currently on.  I well remember when I first went on them the sense of wellbeing (within 24 hours) as my oestrogen levels must have been low.  You may find the progesterone part slightly trickier and this is the part lots of ladies struggle to find one they like but there are plenty of options.

Feel free to ask if you have any questions, and I hope this helps x

weathergirl

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2017, 01:11:39 AM »

I have found my anxiety no worse, going through peri and meno. In fact, in general, it's been improved.  I have a lifelong history of severe anxiety dating back to my late teens (well, really, childhood).

I agree with CLKD here.  I am always reluctant to consider anxiety as strictly a hormonal issue. If one has suffered in the past or had recurring bouts of anxiety, or anxiety out of the blue, I personally feel it's sensible to consider other reasons and possibly other treatments  beyond hormones. 

I know a number of women who've used HRT, and have not had relief from their anxiety.  Then others have very good results.  Anxiety/depression tend to be a multifactorial with not just one contributing factor. This is my opinion only, but i think it's worth thinking about treatment from various angles. Good luck and hope you find what you need!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 01:18:59 AM by weathergirl »

Annie0710

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2017, 05:39:32 AM »

Where one hrt works for one doesn't necessarily work for another

I've developed social anxiety through menopause, before that I was never in, always out catching up with someone and I've tried so many hrts to try to cure or help it and nothing's worked

NorthArm

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2017, 06:23:43 AM »

Hi - I hope with the help of your GP you've been able to sort this out.

I too have had close to 8 weeks of hell...tried one hrt with AD but just made things so much worse!

I'm now on day 7 of Femoston 2/10, I take it in the evening as I felt really spaced out the first couple of days I tried it in the morning. I have definitely noticed an improvement in my anxiety levels. Night sweats seem to be less. I'm taking a sleeping tablet at the moment but am hoping not to take one tomorrow night (I've had a really busy week, and started a new job so waiting for sleep effects was a no go this week) to see how I go with that.

It's awful, this time of our lives, isn't it?

Anyway, I hope you have it all good now - life is hard enough without that thrown into the mix!

Butterfly22

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2017, 06:57:02 AM »

Hi
It's really difficult to say as what's good got one may be awful with another.
Unfortunately I'd say it's trial and error, I take ADs as well as hrt to help but anxiety I have to just try and deal with it when it comes xxx

Katia

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2017, 04:53:25 AM »

I've just read the progestegen dienogest is the best for anxiety and depression. It's in the HRT Climodien which unfortunately is not available in the UK Mits available in the rest of Europe. I'm not sure if there's anything else with that progestegen

Tiredandforgetful

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2017, 09:21:11 AM »

I've been suffering with low mood, I used to be very resilient but for the last couple of years I'm easily knocked. Prior to being diagnosed as peri my doctor said I had depression. I've been on HRT to a week now, unfortunately I haven't felt the effects as soon as some of the other ladies so I'm hanging in there to see where I am in 3 months. I hope you find some relief soon x

aspie65

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2017, 11:14:47 AM »

I went on HRT when my main perimenopausal symptom was anxiety (to an irrational extent).  I found it really helped but when life became even more stressful it wasn't enough. I then added pregabalin to the mix and it has had a fantastic effect on me.  I take it mostly at night and it has really helped with my sleep and if I wake up anxious I take a little more.  It feels a bit like diazepam but is not addictive and is fine for longer term use.  I have also found since taking Pregabalin that my hot flushes have reduced by about 80% and my aches and pains have all but disappeared. 

I am very impressed with Pregabalin although I know everyone is different I would highly recommend at least discussing it with your GP.

Greenfields

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2017, 11:55:39 AM »

Hover I now live in Canada and I take 100mg prometrium (that's progesterone) and 2 pumps of estrogel (an oestrogen) daily.  This works well for me.

In the UK I was on 100mg of utrogestan (progesterone) and evorel 50 patch (oestrogen).  When I moved to Canada my hormones got out of synch again and I was taken off this prescription after I developed a non-malignant breast lump.  The Dr here told me the UK prescription was a bit dated in terms of treatment.

I don't know how accurate this viewpoint is - I know when I initially went on the UK treatment it did wonders for my anxiety and depression though it took time for me to recover from them. My UK Dr also prescribed exercise and I do know that there is good evidence to show that this can make a difference with levels of anxiety and depression - it really helped me.

Menopause is what is known as a "window of vulnerability" for the development of depression in some women.  When I got better I read up on the literature a bit and some of the factors included whether there was a previous history of anxiety/depression, the stress levels people are under, whether there's a family history of depression, as well as a few other factors (I'm just trying to recall some of them as I write this). 

When I checked against my own history, I had a lot of risk factors - and I didn't know beforehand I was at risk for developing the symptoms that I did to the extent that I did.

Initially I was put on a combined HRT which had a horrible effect on me - can't remember what it was called now.  So it is a bit hit and miss and an individual thing in terms of finding something that works. That said, if you decide to take it, I think the estrogen is harder to take orally - it upset my bowels constantly.  I found the patch much easier then.

I also saw a therapist for a while - that helped enormously too - for me, what worked, was addressing things in a holistic way - my body needed the support of the hormones but I also did exercise, yoga, meditation and looked at my diet and tried to eat healthily as well as getting some emotional support.

Good luck - it's possible to get better but it takes time to figure things out.  This group is awesome and was such a great support source for me when I was very ill in 2015.

peri

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2017, 12:46:40 PM »

Good post Greenfields. As you say it takes a multi approach to really get on top of this issue but the light at the end of the tunnel is it can be done.  Interesting about your Dr' s view on evorel and utrogestan being a bit out of date I wonder whether that's the case x

Greenfields

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2017, 02:54:46 PM »

Good post Greenfields. As you say it takes a multi approach to really get on top of this issue but the light at the end of the tunnel is it can be done.  Interesting about your Dr' s view on evorel and utrogestan being a bit out of date I wonder whether that's the case x

Yeah I wondered about that too Peri as, as far as I know, this prescription seems to be commonly used in the UK judging from what I read on the board!  As well, you can get similar patches to evorel here in Canada - they are called estradot.

I ran into problems when I moved from UK to Canada because my natural cycle got slightly out of synch with the medication cycle - so I started to have break through bleeding which I hadn't had in a long time (I didn't bleed on the medications I was on even though I used to take a break of so many days with the utrogestan).  I sought the advice of a nurse practitioner when this flared up and was told (incorrectly) that it was probably due to the move and I should just continue my regime and it would all settle down.

What I should have done when it flared up was to count the days I was bleeding and take a utrogestan after so many days of bleeding - to get my cycle and the medication back in synch.  I didn't do this and had several more bleeds, one of which was particularly painful and nasty.  At that time, I also noticed I was getting symptoms of depression again - just feeling generally "not well" in myself (not myself) and feeling overwhelmed in terms of the things I had to do in my daily life.

I struggled on for a bit and then saw an acupuncturist I had seen before who is really good - she supports clients with hormonal issues but also is not dogmatic and will flag things up that people need to see a Dr about.  She helped me get to see a hospital Dr (quite a feat here as the waiting lists are long) - I got to see one in September (last year) and was so glad as the issue had gone on for 5 months by that time. 

The hospital Dr was the one who changed the script and got me on estrogel.  Initially I was put on 1 pump a day (the recommended is 2 pumps daily).  I think she was trying to get me on the lowest effective dose possible.  Unfortunately I found that low dose wasn't enough to sort out my symptoms - I was waking up regularly at 4am/5am no matter how late I went to bed.  I had just started my Masters course at this point and I needed my sleep - by the end of a month, I was on my knees!  So I rang up and asked to increase the dose to 2 pumps - and then I was fine.

Recently my sleep has been disrupted again but I suspect it's related to the stress of uncertainty in terms of what comes next in my life for me - the one thing I have become very aware of with menopause is that any stress related issues can have an impact on an individual's menopausal symptoms - it's almost like the body has a heightened sensitivity - least this is my experience personally - everyone has their own experiences. But I do recall reading an Australian paper about menopausal women and stress levels and being struck by how the author made the point that women at midlife are having more demands made on them - often caregiving for seniors while at the same time their children come back to live with them and they may also be trying to hold down a f/t job as well.  And then there is the impact of divorce and changes in financial status ... it all adds up with stress levels.

I think, for me, that's why it's helpful to get some emotional support as well as addressing the physical symptoms.  Menopause is a biopsychosocial phenomenon! 

There is a biological transition/biological changes that the body is adjusting to, but there are also psychological factors as well - it can be a time of stocktaking in one's life and a time when people become aware of unresolved emotional issues that may need to be addressed.  And then there is also the fact that menopause signals the end of one's ability to have children - and then what's next in one's life?  So lots of psychological/emotional stuff comes with it. 

And then the social environment we live in also impacts these factors - for example, someone transitioning through menopause while trying to adjust to the impact of a divorce and starting over their work career and maybe doesn't have many emotional supports in their life will have a different experience of menopause from someone who's had a stable marriage, feels financially secure, has no history of trauma or anxiety/depression in their life experience ... there are a lot of factors that can impact someone's ability to transition through menopause relatively easily versus the kind of experiences people share on this board.

And hormones (the biological piece) have a big impact too on physical and emotional functioning ... I always remember an 80 year old friend telling me that she would find herself crying in menopause for no reason - she had a stable marriage, financially secure etc but would wake up sometimes and just feel awful.  She coped by meeting regularly with a friend who was also having a tough menopause for a cup of tea and a talk.  The social support she got from that helped tremendously.

So everyone is different.  I think the thing that got me was the complete lack of knowledge I had around menopause - if someone had screened me prior to my symptoms intensifying (before my system crashed a bit!) the risk factors I had could have been flagged up and things could have been put in place to help me.  i read about a study in Australia that did that.  It's really needed - I was woefully ignorant about the potential impact of menopause!   
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 02:58:49 PM by Greenfields »