Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dentists  (Read 5405 times)

robotwars

Dentists
« on: July 24, 2017, 06:04:56 PM »

I'm in shock, I had a dentist appointment today and they say I need a crown, but are unsure if the decay has hit the roots in the tooth, without root treatment I have been quoted £900, then he said I needed 4 fillings in the front teeth, which will take 3 and half hour appointment and he is sending me a quote through the post but said they are about £90 each................... I cant get over the cost and I'm now worrying about having the work done........im just in shock.......

cubagirl

Re: Dentists
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2017, 06:16:48 PM »

Oucha! We decided to take out dental insurance years ago due to the extortionate costs. Only have to pay lab costs for the likes of crowns.

Did your dentist not do an xray to check roots?

robotwars

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2017, 06:22:16 PM »

he did an x ray but he is not sure whether the root is affected, he has said its unclear...

Butterfly22

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2017, 06:24:55 PM »

Wow that's a lot can you get a second opinion? I no my other half had work done and cost a fortune xx

Yorkshire Girl

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2017, 07:42:45 PM »

Hi ouch is it worth getting a second opinion?!

dahliagirl

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2017, 07:56:58 AM »

•porcelain bonded crowns from £550
• gold inlays / crowns from £575
• ceramic crowns (E-max) from £550
•ceramic crowns (Lava) from £595
•internal post system from £50 - £150

This is the price list from my private dentist.  They do not do nhs or insurance, but are up front with their prices and try and keep them at a reasonable level.

My husband had a crown on the nhs which was the standard £200 for the standard crown (and failed root canal).  His root canal turned out to be too complicated and he had to be referred to an expert with Masters and a 3-D x ray machine which was another £600+ (consultation was similar to a private consultant doctor).  It turned out to not be as complicated as thought, but the original dentist had been drilling the wrong way so the expertise and equipment were well worth it, and thankfully his dentist knew his limits, and gave him a choice of referrals and lots of advice.

I had a replacement root canal, post and crown and that cost me £70 on denplan.  But, boy have I paid for it over the years - I had been paying over £200 per year in monthly fees that went up each year and I still got my appointments bumped, so was seeing him less than 6 monthly for that.  This is the dentist that did the original root filling that I was not happy with (He did not even tell me that it was a root filling at all - I learned from the emergency dentist afterwards when I was in considerable pain  >:(  )  I was scared of moving on after 20 odd years but my new dentist is fine and I know where I am with her.

It is definitely worth having a look around, even if you decide to stay where you are.  ;)

cubagirl

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2017, 08:10:01 AM »

Dahliagirl, we are with Denplan too, but prices have stayed quite static for us.  Guess it depends.

dahliagirl

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2017, 08:40:21 AM »

The prices are set and reviewed by the dentist.  Mine started at £15 per month and was £20 per month when I left (previously had been nhs but went they private at a time when there was a dearth of NHS alternatives and the private ones were full too).

There were other things wrong that I could not put on a public message board, but suffice to say that the new dentist is SO professional, I don't know why I did not move years ago.  I had sleepless nights because of it.  :-\

cubagirl

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2017, 09:57:03 AM »

Good you have a dentist you like, they're worth their weight in gold.  :)

dahliagirl

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2017, 10:24:10 AM »

They certainly are  :)  I had no idea of the things that go wrong with your teeth at this time of your life.  It looks like it is men too, if my husband is anything to go by - he always looked after his very carefully.

I was very impressed at the upfront way his dentist dealt with his root canal work, and the costs of it.  Very refreshing.  He also said the cheapest option was to have it pulled out, which unfortunately is what most people can afford  :(

Dancinggirl had some useful information somewhere on here about keeping your teeth.

Cassie

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2017, 10:55:44 AM »

I made up my mind long ago, if it is a back tooth that cannot be seen and I need a crown, I would rather have it extracted and have done so in the past, more than enough other teeth to do the job, different story of course if it is noticeable but can never understand why people spend a fortune on having back teeth crowned, takes 2 mins to whip it out and problem solved. ;)

dahliagirl

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2017, 11:30:55 AM »

I think I need all my teeth - I can't imagine being without one; I would certainly miss it  :-\   It also affects all your other teeth.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2017, 12:16:46 PM »

Certain NHS treatments are free.  On top of that any cosmetic work - which is mainly what you have been offered - has to be paid for.  I opted for implants which cost £3,000 each a few years back.  The Dental Surgery *has* to have a list of NHS prices where clients can read it, if not, do ask.  All Dentists have to give a Treatment Plan for the client to take home to read.

A dentist should never fit a crown if there is danger of either damage or infection beneath because it's a waste of time!  The crown/tooth may need removal if an abscess forms.  Has the dentist told you what the crown will be made of, i.e. porcelain I think are more expensive.

I would have a ring round and ask for quotes.

dulciana

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2017, 06:06:10 PM »

Anyone would think that teeth were a luxury, the prices dentists charge.    >:(

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2017, 10:55:59 AM »

It annoys me intensely!  We pay as we go .........  ;)
Pages: [1] 2