Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Earthquake in West Highlands  (Read 4532 times)

cubagirl

Earthquake in West Highlands
« on: July 24, 2017, 11:44:58 AM »

A small earthquake happened earlier today in the West Highlands, measuring 2.3. Rattled a few walls & windows. I'm fascinated by such things, but wouldn't like to be around whilst one was happening. I have same fascination for tornadoes, but likewise wouldn't want to be in one.

So has anyone been anywhere when the earth moved!  ;)

Cazikins

Re: Earthquake in West Highlands
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2017, 11:55:21 AM »

So has anyone been anywhere when the earth moved!  ;)

Well it's been a while CG  ;D ;D ;D

Two hoots

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2017, 12:02:09 PM »

Only little ones in the UK, twice here in Wales when the glass I have in a display cabinet rattled and I felt a little shudder  ;D and once when we were in Loughborough, I was woken in the early hours but didn't find out until the morning that it had been an earthquake.

Must be really frightening to experience a big earthquake, I know in some countries they teach children what to do in the event of a big earthquake.

Ju Ju

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2017, 12:19:04 PM »

My DD was evacuated from her uni building in Salford a few years back due to an earthquake. The building rattled and shook.

dahliagirl

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2017, 12:20:22 PM »

My daughter lived in Japan for a year and they had one of these a week, if not more  ;D  There was one bigger one which set off all the mobile phone alerts and all the computers in the university went onto warning mode.

You are supposed to make sure that your exit door is open and get under something.  Everyone looked to see what everyone else was doing..........then it was over and they carried on  ;D

Fortunately, where she was there are frequent small earthquakes and very infrequent bigger ones.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2017, 12:50:21 PM »

I felt the one which went under the Midlands a few years back, Himself leapt out of bed swearing what the F was that, I muttered 'earthquake' and turned over.  Apparently he was awake for hours after  ;D ....... it sounded like an express train directly beneath the house with a tremendous roar and a rattle.

Of course, there was one in the Adriatic last week  :sigh:

cubagirl

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2017, 02:55:27 PM »

"I feel the earth move......"

I'd be useless in such places. I'm scared enough by big claps of thunder. Yes, I'm a wimp!  ;D

Yorkshire Girl

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2017, 07:45:59 PM »

Yes, when we were living in South Wales I woke up to the bed moving like a rippling effect & wardrobes rattling. Thought it was my imagination until it was mentioned on the news next morning. My hubby who's a light sleeper slept through & didn't believe me!!