Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: 6 weeks into sequential HRT and I'm having a period for 1st time in 9 months!  (Read 1302 times)

jobeckett

Hi everyone,

I saw Nick Panay 6 weeks ago who put me on estradiol 2mg, testosterone 0.1mg & 100 continuous Utrogestan.  My main symptoms are anxiety/depression & insomnia.  I had just started flushing when I saw him but that's stopped, although night sweats have returned after years of not having any which is a bit weird. 

However, I started a light bleed about 6 days ago (started as a bit of a bloody discharge but has since developed into a proper period).  I had not had a period for 8 months prior to starting his regime.  I'm 50. 

Is this normal?  Could it be that I'm taking too high a dose of oestrogen?  He did say that if I felt ok on 1mg then I should do that but I have not had any other symptoms so have carried on taking his prescribed dose. 

My bloods came back as oestrogen deficient but thyroid and testosterone were in normal range but was advised by him that I would benefit from taking Testosterone so to continue.

Does anyone know if this bleed has been caused by my body adjusting to taking these hormones and/or have had similar experiences?

Thanks
Jo x

Dancinggirl

Very normal to get some bleeding with this regime. The bleeding should settle and hopefully stop in the next few months. You could well be still in peri menopause, so your own hormones may be kicking in and causing this bleeding.
If it doesn't settle you need to get in touch with Panay. DG x

jobeckett

Thanks DG - that's really helpful to know x

Hurdity

Hi jobeckett

As Dancinggirl says - if you had only gone 8 months without a period you may not have been post-menopausal yet - the time is 12 months. If this is the case then your own hormones can override the HRT and cause unpredictable bleeding. is it the gel you are taking? Sometimes there can be breakthrough bleeding  even if you are post-menopausal as Dancingirl says.  I agree if it persists and you are unhappy consult Panay again - and you might want to consider returning to cyclical HRT for a predictable bleed - maybe on a longer cycle if he approves (this won't necessarily work if you are still peri - ie the long cycle).

Hurdity x

jobeckett

Thanks Hurdity,

Yes I'm using the estradiol gel, not patches.  The bleed seem to be calming down a bit so thanks for the advice and I'll keep an eye on how long this particular one lasts for (it's not heavy).  I think you're right, I'm still peri so will keep a diary and see what Panay says when I go back in September unless this one continues in which case I'll call the clinic.

Jo x