Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Advice please anyone - of any sort gratefully received - new to all this HRT  (Read 1543 times)

floridamad

Hi there,

I am 54 next week.  I have been put on Femoston 1/10 about 8 months ago.  When I was put on it I had irregular periods - went for 7/8 months I think at one time, a couple of 4 months without .

So now I am on the Femoston I am back to regular periods again.  I get a really bad headache about 3 days before the period kicks in - even co-codamol hardly touches it (wasnt like this before)

One of my questions is - if I am in perimenopause - will my periods stop regardless of the femoston? or will they carry on as long as I take it.

I am off to see the HRT nurse next friday for a 9 month review. I love not having hot flushes and I sleep soooo much better but thats the only advantage that I can see

At the end of August I am off to Florida for a couple of weeks to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary and of course the pre period headache is going to kick in and the period itself for the last couple of days.

If I stay on femoston is there any way I can delay my period?

Any advice of any sort very gratefully received

dahliagirl

Hi - I am similar age to you and on Femoston  ;D

I used to be on the combined pill and, especially in latter years, got a headache in the week off that was like my brain shrinking and rattling round my head every time I moved.  At first I thought it was migraine without an aura, and then I found out that there was such a thing as an oestrogen withdrawal headache.  This was probably it. 

What I found was that it was triggered by getting thirsty.  So around the time it was due to happen, I would make sure I did not get thirsty - so good glass of water on waking, and carry a bottle around to drink if I felt the slightest bit thirsty, with plenty tea breaks.  Beware on warm days and travelling when you can easily find yourself thirsty.  The other thing was to take the painkiller of choice (mine was nurofen plus which is ibuprofen and codeine - paracetamol did not actually work at all) at the first hint.

Yours might not be this, because you are taking oestrogen all the time - do you get any other symptoms around this time?  It is worth keeping a diary of symptoms sometimes.  I do wonder if the addition of progestogen takes away some of the effects of the oestrogen at times.

floridamad

Thats very interesting. I must admit I thought it might be down to the change in the pills from white to grey. I do drink a lot anyway but shall bear that in mind - defintitely

floridamad

TBH - would be quite happy to if there was something to control the hot flushes and mood  and I think I would be quite happy to ride the meno out!!?

dahliagirl

I wouldn't give up to quickly; there are lots of different formulations.

I eventually found I was better on 2/10.  Some people are better with transdermal as their liver processes the tablets too fast.  There is a lot of trial and error in it.

Congrats on your 30th - we had ours this year but did not go away.  Enjoy Florida  :)

Peroxideblader

Hi there I am due to start femoston  1/10 some time in the future long story but I've having a lot of tests for other health issues first..but my main reason for starting hrt the one that has ruined my life is 4 years of insomnia I can't get to sleep til 3 or 4am and I notice you've said your sleep has got much better. Did you notice quickly afyer you started femoston and did you have a problem getting to or staying asleep thank you