Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Hello from a Balding Newbie  (Read 6787 times)

dahliagirl

Re: Hello from a Balding Newbie
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2017, 05:03:14 PM »

I am despairing of my hair today.  It is determined to turn into a dry frizzy mess  :-\

onion relish

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2017, 09:19:02 PM »

Hi Dahliagirl,

My hair has always been a dry, frizzy mess  :D

I'd just got used to handling it when meno kicked in and the texture has changed yet again - on the hair that's left, that is.

Have you tried treatments on your hair? I find using oil - anything from olive to coconut to avocado, as well as commercial oils available. They'll need a good wash out, though. Even dry, frizzy hair can get oil overload.

Another favourite treat for me is my once every 10 days protein mask (I use this when I'm going out or just want my hair to look and feel at its best). My two favourites are TiGi Dumb Blonde Reconstructor (I'm a bottle brunette), and the one from Lee Stafford (name escapes me now as he has a few, but you can tell the LS is a protein mask as it asks you to use a moisturising conditioner after rinsing it out - which you should always do after a protein mask).

If you do try these and have good results, don't be tempted to over-use as they can cause your hair to become brittle.

So, not really a menopause matter as such, though I think a lot of women have hair issues at our age, but I just wanted to pass on something I've found helped me.

Hope you have a better hair day tomorrow.

onion relish

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2017, 10:47:46 PM »

Do they take it seriously now? I was tested annually for 15 years and came back "borderline" every year. I was told they don't medicate borderline.

My aunt lives in Australia and had similar results to me but was given treatment. She was a changed woman.

Captain

« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2017, 08:46:44 AM »

That's food for thought Trey. My bloods were ok for thyroid so the fatigue, hair loss etc all attributed to meno because of the elevated FSH. I might go back to GP and get them done again. Unlike all you lucky NHS people, it costs 50 euro a go for a GP visit here in Ireland. Adding financial woes to everything else. :(

The hair treatments sound lovely but I'm shying away from too much washing because thats when the volume of hair in the hairbrush reaches the 'to hard to look' levels.

I'm also trying vitamins called head high with pro amino. Has anyone had any experience of them? The local health food shop recommended them.

And to onion relish...the sombrero a la Mexican badito look is a great idea! It'll make a nice change from my current 1900s peasant look complete with headscarf  :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2017, 09:43:35 AM »

One has to push for 'within normal limits' thyroid results to be further investigated unless a GP is on the ball, maybe make a note of symptoms and see the Practice Nurse or a Pharmacist for advice? 

Captain

« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2017, 10:35:02 AM »

Sound advice CLKD. Thanks. I was reading elsewhere in my continuing search for hair loss information that keeping a menopause journal is a good idea. I'll do that and then head into the nurse with comprehensive facts instead of the emotional jumble of information I usually impart when I'm in there. It was the nurse who got my vitamin D checked so she's definitely on the ball.

CLKD

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2017, 10:57:33 AM »

"jumble of information" - that's it to a T  ;D

Let us know how you get on!

Captain

« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2017, 08:32:23 AM »

I sent off for my trial pack of nanogen hair fibres today. I was expecting them to be hair but it seems to be powder? When they arrive I'll probably be back here to ask what to do with them!! Any advance words of wisdom?

Annie0710

« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2017, 08:45:09 AM »

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised!
Just sprinkle them on sparse areas where you want coverage.  They'll be undetectable.  The beauty of these is they won't budge until you next shampoo.  Wetting hair, rain etc won't affect them

Let us know how you get on x

CLKD

« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2017, 09:35:29 AM »

What if they are the wrong colour?  ::)

Annie0710

« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2017, 10:57:55 AM »

If you're grey you choose grey, brunette for brown etc

CLKD

« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2017, 11:25:10 AM »

aaaaahhhhh

Captain

« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2017, 12:18:50 PM »

Sounds too good to be true annie0710! I'll definitely report back. I also have an appointment tomorrow with a trichologist - a profession I didn't know existed until now. Its a steep learning curve. I used to think women's position improved once childcare no longer an issue. I'm rapidly revising that notion.

Annie0710

« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2017, 02:09:27 PM »

They give the impression of hair on the scalp.  Unfortunately they don't help anywhere else for volume

Clip in hair would probs be your next step for volume all over x

onion relish

« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2017, 02:17:51 PM »

One has to push for 'within normal limits' thyroid results to be further investigated unless a GP is on the ball, maybe make a note of symptoms and see the Practice Nurse or a Pharmacist for advice?

I wish I had. I, too, have had multiple miscarriages - I remember the midwife's first visit for one of my later pregnancies, I signed a form for some study into thyroid/miscarriage link, but after I miscarried that one, nothing more was ever said.
Pages: 1 [2] 3