Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Throat infections & use of antibiotics for a bacterial infection  (Read 8355 times)

Katejo

Re: Throat infections & use of antibiotics for a bacterial infection
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2017, 06:29:02 PM »

..... lots of rest, outdoors in the shade with a warm breeze?

I had hoped  to be at work tomorrow. A colleague at work is leaving and i wanted to be at her farewell drinks. However that is unlikely to happen unless a miracle occurs. I have never had such a painful throat with an infection I need to concentrate on being ok for monday because I have to take over part of her job until the vacancy is filled.

Had plans for this weekend too...... :'(

Weather may not be good enough to sit outside. Haven't seen the forecast yet but today has been cool and wet here.

Mbrown001

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2017, 06:59:29 PM »

If you have a health shop near then perhaps consider an echinacea throat spray. They don't taste that good but they do help clear things up very quickly. Oh and Manuka honey is really very soothing and has antibacterial qualities.

We don't even get an appointment for throat problems unless you have had it for four or more days. We are directed to the pharmacist. They deal with all sorts now.....The GPs won't look at eye infections either...you gave to go to an optitian first.

Hope you feel better soon

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2017, 07:02:52 PM »

Would you be able to meet up with the colleague once the throat feels better?

In the mean-time, take pain relief i.e. Nurofen surprised that the GP didn't suggest it  >:(

Katejo

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2017, 07:07:47 PM »

If you have a health shop near then perhaps consider an echinacea throat spray. They don't taste that good but they do help clear things up very quickly. Oh and Manuka honey is really very soothing and has antibacterial qualities.

We don't even get an appointment for throat problems unless you have had it for four or more days. We are directed to the pharmacist. They deal with all sorts now.....The GPs won't look at eye infections either...you gave to go to an optitian first.

Hope you feel better soon
I only went to the GP because I had never had such a painful throat before. Usually it is just scratchy and then sore but tolerable. I did try echinacea once for something else but wasn't convinced of its value. Surely a GP would see someone for a condition such as conjunctivitis? I have never had it myself but it looks painful.

Katejo

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2017, 07:12:50 PM »

Would you be able to meet up with the colleague once the throat feels better?

In the mean-time, take pain relief i.e. Nurofen surprised that the GP didn't suggest it  >:(.

Probably not because she doesn't live locally. she has moved jobs to be closer to home in Brighton. I could take Nurofen but I try to avoid it unless absolutely essential. Also i am not eating much today due to the throat and you can't take it on an empty stomach.

CLKD

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2017, 07:25:08 PM »

......  :-\ I do .......  :-\ ........... and if it is as painful as you tell us, then surely you need to take something to ease it, hence the suggestion of the spray : might be easier than swallowing a tablet/capsule?

Have a  :bighug:

Cassie

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2017, 07:29:27 PM »

Painful red throats worry me because of the danger of strep throat and resultant rheumatic fever so I am always rather hoping for antibiotics when I get an attack.
I know with children they usually prescribe if they are concerned.

CLKD

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2017, 07:30:21 PM »

The GP could have taken a swab if there was doubt .......... if no improvement by Monday I would ring for advice.

Claireylou

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2017, 07:31:22 PM »

Katejo,

My son suffers from horrendous sore throats. We were desperate to get some relief for him so I asked the pharmacist if he could recommend something. He gave us some throat spray called Difflam, you can also buy the liquid to gargle with.

It works instantly. Not only does it deaden the soreness, it helps fight the infection too so it shortens the time for healing. You have to ask for it in the chemist, it's not stocked on the shelf.

It's not cheap but if it works it's well worth it. We think it's brilliant stuff  :)

CLKD

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2017, 07:32:38 PM »

:thankyou: - of course, if I get a sore throat I'll forget the name of the product  ::) (we have a thread about forgetfulness too)

Claireylou

« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2017, 07:33:27 PM »

:) but I can't remember where the thread is CLKD  ;D

CLKD

« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2017, 07:34:11 PM »

Nor me >sigh<

I have allergic rhinitis and I think that 'saves' me from a lot of bugs that do the 'rounds' PHEW!

Katejo

« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2017, 10:34:51 AM »

Katejo,

My son suffers from horrendous sore throats. We were desperate to get some relief for him so I asked the pharmacist if he could recommend something. He gave us some throat spray called Difflam, you can also buy the liquid to gargle with.

It works instantly. Not only does it deaden the soreness, it helps fight the infection too so it shortens the time for healing. You have to ask for it in the chemist, it's not stocked on the shelf.

It's not cheap but if it works it's well worth it. We think it's brilliant stuff  :)
Thanks for that. I will ask at the pharmacy. I think i have now had the worst of the sore throat. Now know I had a virus because it has morphed into a streaming cold.

At least the weather is warm today so I can sit outside a bit
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 10:47:30 AM by Katejo »

Claireylou

« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2017, 11:17:30 AM »

Hope you feel better really soon  :)

CLKD

« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2017, 12:23:28 PM »

How R U this morning?
Pages: 1 [2] 3