Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Relaxation therapy  (Read 1759 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Relaxation therapy
« on: July 21, 2017, 03:13:48 PM »

I thought I had typed this before but can't find it  ::)

Sit or lay in a comfy position
Flap hands and arms gently by the sides of the body - relax
Starting at the toes - tense toes/ankles, hold for a few moments - relax
Calf muscles - tense, hold for a few moments - relax
The idea is to concentrate hard on each area of the muscles which are being tensed: this diverts the brain: and work the way up the body: calves, knees, thigh muscles; buttocks, belly, fingers; wriggle the wrists and turn the elbows in/out several times, gently.  Relax.  Upper arms, tense/relax. 

Sit up - roll the shoulders: up to the ears and 'round' - relax.  Neck: move head down with chin towards the chest and hold.  Back to neutral (looking forwards).  Put left ear to left shoulder without lifting shoulder, back to neutral.  Same on the right.  Don't force the movement, this is relaxation remember ;-).  Head backwards, hold, relax. 

Wriggle the forehead, lots.  If possible, wriggle the scalp  ;D

2nd therapy is breathing:  in sharply through the nostrils and hold for 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 - breath out through the mouth as slowly as possible.  3 times.  Rest and breath as slowly as possible.  If this is done too fast too often one may well feel dizzy  ::).

Many years ago (1960s) my music teacher told the class that very few people breath correctly which is where singing helps a lot.  Sitting correctly at the table and when on the computer etc. is also important as it allows the chest to operate properly.  Wearing the correct foot wear can allow the body to relax as it doesn't need to compensate for bad posture .........

Clear as mud?

Hurdity

Re: Relaxation therapy
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2017, 03:34:39 PM »

It's always good to have different ways to relax. I am sure many would benefit from doing this! Me for a start - I don't often sit down and become relaxed - when not asleep anyway.

There is also the 3-2-1 anti-anxiety exercise which former member Bette posted about and used to bump until it became a stickie (but stickie's seem to get overlooked!).
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,8454.90.html

Hurdity x

MicheleMaBelle

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2017, 03:42:34 PM »

Me too. Thanks ladies. I think we forget how to truly relax . I'm going to try these.

dulciana

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2017, 06:19:19 PM »

I thought I had typed this before but can't find it  ::)

Sit or lay in a comfy position
Flap hands and arms gently by the sides of the body - relax
Starting at the toes - tense toes/ankles, hold for a few moments - relax
Calf muscles - tense, hold for a few moments - relax
The idea is to concentrate hard on each area of the muscles which are being tensed: this diverts the brain: and work the way up the body: calves, knees, thigh muscles; buttocks, belly, fingers; wriggle the wrists and turn the elbows in/out several times, gently.  Relax.  Upper arms, tense/relax. 

Sit up - roll the shoulders: up to the ears and 'round' - relax.  Neck: move head down with chin towards the chest and hold.  Back to neutral (looking forwards).  Put left ear to left shoulder without lifting shoulder, back to neutral.  Same on the right.  Don't force the movement, this is relaxation remember ;-).  Head backwards, hold, relax. 

Wriggle the forehead, lots.  If possible, wriggle the scalp  ;D

2nd therapy is breathing:  in sharply through the nostrils and hold for 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 - breath out through the mouth as slowly as possible.  3 times.  Rest and breath as slowly as possible.  If this is done too fast too often one may well feel dizzy  ::).

Many years ago (1960s) my music teacher told the class that very few people breath correctly which is where singing helps a lot.  Sitting correctly at the table and when on the computer etc. is also important as it allows the chest to operate properly.  Wearing the correct foot wear can allow the body to relax as it doesn't need to compensate for bad posture .........

Clear as mud?

That's a very good point, CLKD. 

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2017, 06:24:19 PM »

:thankyou: I could solve half the World's low back pain by recommdning proper footwear, the rest [note to self] = bend correctly  ::)