Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: New member - advice sought  (Read 3010 times)

Betty

New member - advice sought
« on: July 19, 2017, 04:09:26 PM »

Hi I am presently 18 months post menopause, I'm 53 and my symptoms are hot flushes/night sweats, poor sleep and lately all my coping mechanisms seem to have bailed. There are a few issues within my family that normally I would cope with but I find I can't. Life seems very difficult at moment.  My Dr suggested HRT but bottom line is I'm scared. I could use some sensible advice on what to do. I have read extensively but just end up undecided. I dont want to bleed again and if i stop HRT does all these symptoms start again?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: New member - advice sought
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 04:17:06 PM »

:welcomemm:

Did your GP suggest which HRT is likely to suit you?  If so you could put the name of the product into the search button here and see the threads already posted.

Browse round.  Make notes.

As oestrogen levels drop off, apparently muscles may become lax = aches and pains  ::) as well as the body sometimes becomes dry: skin, deep in the ears, eyes, vagina ........ do read up on Vaginal Atrophy - several threads about that too. 

Fore-warned is fore-armed.  I found that issues I coped with 3/4 weeks would become huge 4-5 days B4 a period and I would let RIP! calming down once the bleed began  ::), I think peri/menopause can produce the same reactions.  Also, as I aged, I took less crap ;-).

What scares you about HRT?

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 05:31:37 PM »

Hi Betty

:welcomemm:

The studies which led to these scare stories have been discredited and women are now advised that HRT is the best treatment for menopausal symptoms such as flushes, sweats, joint pain and low mood - with very few medical contra-indications.

This argument has been made several times - about going through the menopause when (if) you stop HRT. The thing is you have been through menopause so you won't go through it again. Some women can expect to experience  those symptoms ( flushes, sweats, low mood, not coping with life's stresses etc) for 10 years or more. If you decide to take HRT, even if you only take it for 10 years - you will have had 10 years of feeling better and coping instead of 10 years feeling rough and not coping - so you will have had 10 years of improved quality of life. Forget about what happens if/when you decide to stop. It's the here and now which is important!

I started HRT at around your age and still on it 10 years later in my mid 60's. No-one can take away those years and I have done some great things and enjoyed life - and still do! I don't plan to stop yet provided my health stays good but may do at some point ( when I'm 70 perhaps I might tail off or perhaps not?). Many gynaes are now saying women can stay on it for ever provided they are otherwise healthy :)

The best thing you can do to minimise risks is to make sure you look after your general health - and that is - keep your weight down ( within normal BMI limits) take more exercise, get fresh air, eat a healthy diet full of fruit and veg and fresh ingredients - cutting out sugar and refined carbs as well as excess fat , reducing alcohol intake and stopping smoking if you need to. Then you can enjoy the benefits of HRT in the knowledge that you have done all you can for yourself.

Don't be scared - once you get used to the idea it's quite easy!

If you decide you want to try it - then have a look at the different HRT preparations ( top tabs, pale green banner - Treatments/HRT preparations) and then make an appointment with your doc. Do ask us anything further or any concerns you may have and we can try to help :)

Hurdity x

Betty

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 09:22:43 PM »

Thank you. I am struggling just now but your responses have been really helpful. In response, Hurdity - I don't know what HRT the Dr will offer I've not got that far. And CLKD, you are right I should be living in the now. I think/know I need to do something, I feel a wee bit lost just now. My Dr is really supportive and I will read the information on this site.

MicheleMaBelle

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 09:38:24 PM »

Try the HRT Betty-  what have you got to lose? Hopefully it may make you feel better.
Have a browse and go back to your docs. If it doesn't work or you don't fancy it, have a read about the alternative therapies on this site.
Hope you feel better soon.
 :bighug:
M x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 09:52:58 PM »

Betty - welcome to MM
If you don't try HRT you'll never know whether it's right for you or not. Don't worry about the time when you might have to stop using HRT. Post meno symptoms can last many years and HRT can give you your life back.
The continuous hrts often give some bleeding in the first few weeks or months but will result in a 'non bleed' regime. Many women choose to have sequential HRT and put up with the bleed each month, as taking progesterone everyday can sometimes give more side effects for some women.
An easy no bleed option is to have a Mirena fitted and simply use oestrogen as pills, patch or gel - this can be hassle free and allows you to use as little or as much oestrogen as you need to control meno symptoms with fewer progesterone side effects.
There are many options but if you want to try pills first, then try Femoston as it has a kinder progesterone.
Good to hear you have a supportive GP. DG x

samweller161

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2017, 08:13:35 AM »

Welcome to the forum Betty!

I echo what the other ladies have said - the scare stories were out there many years ago when there wasn't all the research done - there is more chance with being overweight, smoking or drinking more than the allowed units of getting anything nasty than there from is taking HRT.  Patches are meant to be kinder than the tablets although I take the tablets (Elleste Duet) and am fine with them so far - 2.5 years down the line now.

If you try one, give it 3 months to see if its working for you but there are lots of different variations on the market so you can try others if one doesn't work.

Don't be scared ...

SP x

Dolly

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2017, 09:42:05 AM »

Hi Betty, Welcome.
I am peri menopause with awful symptoms like you, I was handed a prescription for HRT by a consultant without any input or discussion which I haven't started yet.  I just wanted to say I feel exactly the same about taking it...I was scared to death with all the stories and a friend even warned me to not take it as I would get cancer!

So I went to my GP for advice and he pointed me here, please read as much as you can, I agree with the others that if you don't try it you will never know and I am at the stage where I have no quality of life\at breaking point.  After spending a few months reading as much as I can I don't feel as scared as I was about trying it.

I am off to see another consultant today who I hope will guide me through this.  Good luck Betty.  There are many ladies on here who are very experienced and have been taking hrt for a long time who can advise you.
Dolly x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2017, 09:52:50 AM »

So you listened to a 'friend' Dolly?  ::)  Is she still a friend - I would have sent her off with a flea-in-her-ear telling her to get hold of current Research  :bang: ....... have had similar last week when someone told me that the combination of ADs etc. I have taken with support of my GP is addictive - she didn't even tell me directly, but via a neighbour I rarely speak with  >:(

Dolly - do take a list of your worries and go through with the Consultant so that you don't miss any issues, then let us know how you get on?  Hopefully he will reassure you enough to try HRT - easing symptoms is worth going for!

Urbanchick

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2017, 10:33:06 AM »

I agree with Hurdity - I started taking HRT for hot flushes but now stay on it mainly because without it my anxiety goes through the roof.  I researched loads and read everything on here then spoke to my doctor [although most aren't very clued up and you will probably know more!].  Just being armed with knowledge helps.   I have just tried to stop taking it again but anxiety came back and like you I have personal stuff happening at the moment, so have gone back on.

Give it a go for a couple of months perhaps?

Hurdity

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2017, 10:35:05 AM »

And CLKD, you are right I should be living in the now.

Er - it was me wot said that!!! ::)

Yes do read up about all the different types - you've had some great suggestions :). I've always used patches and find them brilliant but it's a personal choice!

Hurdity x