Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Advice on HRT  (Read 1964 times)

sn00py

Advice on HRT
« on: July 19, 2017, 06:48:14 PM »

i was given 100 mg Uterogestan two years ago to curb the insomnia. i had too much estrogen, so the gynae didn't give me estrogen. After 2 weeks on Uterogeston, i started to weep non stop without any reason. it caused a lot of depression. I went back to the doctor and she said it could be a side effect. after a month i stopped it.
Now the gynae has given me Estreva or estrodiol gel and 200 mg of Famenita or Progesteron again for sleep issues. I am too scared to use them because of previous experience. Is the Progesteron dose too high? She told me to take it first vaginally but changed her mind and said to take it orally. I am too sensitive to hormones. But i desperately want to sleep again.
I am 53 and haven't had a period for almost 4 months. Can anyone advice me on this? Is there a way to tweak the progesterone dosage? I am waiting also for the mammo to make sure before i want to take HRT.

Hurdity

Re: Advice on HRT
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 10:46:07 AM »

Hi there sn00py

Not sure of the HRT types as I imagine you're not in UK?

It's normal to take the progesterone cyclically if you are peri-menopausal ie haven't gone 12 months without a natural period - in which case you would take 12 days x 200 mg (unless directed otherwise by your GP/gynae). This gives a bleed in the majority of women but is dependent on the dose of oestrogen - low doses may not produce a bleed. Once you are post-menopausal you can take it continuously at 100 mg and this is designed to be a no-bleed regime. In practice it again depends on the oestrogen doses so with higher doses there could be more spotting. Some women prefer to keep to cyclical regimes even when post-menopause for this reason, and also because of the side effects and sedative properties of progesterone. Sounds like you benefited from that initially - but as you have found it can be very depressive in high doses?

When you say you haven't had a period for 4 months do you mean without taking anything or taking progesterone all the time?

If you are taking 200 mg all the time then this is definitely too high and no wonder you haven't had a bleed. It might be prescribed at this high dose to curb irregular bleeding perhaps? Most women find there are more side effects when taking progesterone orally and when the same dose is taken vaginally more gets to the uterus where it is needed and there are fewer of the "nasty" metabolic byproducts which cause many of the problems.

Hope the mammogram is OK and do let us know?

Hurdity x

sn00py

Re: Advice on HRT
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 11:44:39 AM »

Hi Hurdity,

Thank you for your reply. it was helpful to read about the progesterone dosage in peri and in post menopause and it's side effects.

I am not in UK. I am in Germany and i wish they had a menopause clinic like you all do in UK. It is still quite behind in treating peri and post menopause symptoms. Only a handful of doctors are doing bio identical hormones and they are not covered by the insurance. And they are quite expensive if you are not privately insured  :(

No, i haven't taken any hormones to stop my bleed. It has naturally stopped these past 4 months. For the first time in years i don't have breast tenderness and pain or bloating. I have always been estrogen dominant and have had irregular and horrendous bleeds for weeks since peri started.

2 years ago the gynae gave me progesterone 100mg for my insomnia, which still continues by the way. This year she again prescribed estrogen gel and high dose (200 mg) progesterone capsules to take care of the insomnia. But from past experience i noticed that progesterone, when taken orally, gave me the weeps and my breasts hurt horribly and the ovulation pain was unbearable. So i stopped it after a month under my gynae's instructions.

Now i don't want to get periods or other problems again by taking all these hormones. Only my insomnia is unbearable, which brings on anxiety and depression. I am sort of managing it by taking low dose Miratazapine and if i am desperate i take Lorazepam. I have upped the Mirtazapine dose the past month according to my GP's advice, as the insomnia got worse and i didn't want to get dependent on Lorazepam. And also for the first time i have started to get mild hot flushes. And the hot summer is not helping it. I have the fans going constantly in all the rooms. But that's not the reason why i can't sleep. My insomnia hit me out of the blue, since the whole hormonal imbalance started 3 1/2 years ago along with anxiety and later depression. And the vaginal dryness and libido are also getting worse. I use a good lubricant.

My mammo is only next month. Will let you know how it went. It is part of the screening they do here once every two years. So far it has been a torture for me to do it because of the breast tenderness and denseness of the breast tissue. Now i have no breast pain. So i'm hoping it will stay that way. I wish the insomnia will also disappear the same way. Right now i am struggling with the grogginess and tiredness induced by Mirtazapine. Is there another AD specially for menopause symptoms? I have tried Citolapram and just one tablet made me suicidal with high anxiety and panic attacks. I have also tried St. John's Wort 900 mg, but i got severe itching on my arms and nightmares.

I just want my life back again and my sleep. My confidence is gone and now i have become a very fearful, lonely and dull person  :'( and i am constantly tired and sleepy :-[. But I am thankful for a very understanding husband and colleagues and principal. Just wishing this nightmare will end soon. I know some people here might have gone through similar experiences but right now i have no strength to even search for them.

Thank you for your support again  :thankyou: