Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Hairstyles  (Read 9705 times)

Yorkshire Girl

Re: Hairstyles
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2017, 06:40:30 PM »

Growing up my sister & I had long hair down to just below the waist, we were never aloud to have it cut short. Eventually around our teenage years had it all cut off. I've had all sorts of hairstyles very short which never suited me, too a longish bob, but since I've lived in Yorkshire I first had it cut to a short below the chin bob, then 18 months ago I had it cut to chin jaw length keeping the bob, also had a fringe put in. Only downside my son calls me a watermelon head!! In my case as I get older a shorter style makes me look younger! It's definitely worth trying on-line hairstylist gives you a good idea.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2017, 06:41:55 PM »

Some ladies with long hair look older than they ought to .......... when 1 gets to a certain age, long hair doesn't do 1 any favours.

Mbrown001

« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2017, 07:00:33 PM »

All depends on how long CLKD but I generally agree. When I had mine cut overly short my daughter called it a mushroom cut....I don't have it that way anymore  ::)

I think I will stay with my chin length bob with maybe a few more layers.

I've never had a fringe as I have a cows lick and it never would lie flat  ;D

babyjane

« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2017, 07:37:24 PM »

I think no longer than collar bone length looks good on ladies our age.  If my hair behaved itself I would go for this length but it doesn't so I don't and keep it short now so I am not always checking it in mirrors, shop windows etc  ::)

There are the mavericks like Mary Beard who get away with it but, on the whole, I don't think so personally.

Mbrown001

« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2017, 07:42:35 PM »

I'm inclined to agree BJ

I even get frustrated with chin length hair when it's wet and windy and I end up looking like a wild woman.  ;D

dulciana

« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2017, 07:56:04 PM »

Some ladies with long hair look older than they ought to .......... when 1 gets to a certain age, long hair doesn't do 1 any favours.

Especially long grey.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2017, 08:37:41 PM »

we shouldn't judge but I agree dulciana - mine won't grow longer than my shoulders these days ......

cubagirl

« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2017, 04:56:32 PM »

Mine may be short, but still needs taming on a daily basis!  ;D I don't rock a bed head.  ::)

Mbrown001

« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2017, 05:11:06 PM »

I used to look like a madwoman when I woke up in the mornings in the days of short hair. I've accepted it needs washing every day. If I get overly hot then it's the head that gets it. Not a good look.

cubagirl

« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2017, 05:34:50 PM »

Hasty  ;D

CaroleM

« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2017, 10:07:03 PM »

Long hair has always suited me.  I tried a friend's wig on once and went out passed the guard room.  The copper on duty just took one look, then said something not altogether repeatable.  The relief on his face when I took the wig off and shook out my hair.  He didn't realize it, but he actually went pale when he saw me.  That convinced me that short hair defo wasn't me.  Years later, went back from Dorset via my former boarding school.  My best friend there, the school principal by then, hauled out photos and we both commented on how long my hair was then.  Stephen was quite surprised that Chinese dancer number 1 in the Nutcracker Suite had her own plait!

I think I am lucky to have quite a lot of natural colour left, but I do enjoy changing it sometimes. Always use water based colours though.  Nothing nasty ends up on my head, if I can help it.  It's not easy for any of us to decide what we want to do with our hair amongst other things..  Personally, the thought of a pink or blue rinse would have me running for the hills. 

Carole

DaisyB

« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2017, 11:57:58 PM »

Just came across this and was glad I did  ;)  told DH yesterday I'm getting hair whacked off. Usually have a salon that uses aveda products to lighten and lengthwise inkeep it below the shoulder. Decided I wanted a perm like Rita Ora - short and curly ;D  have I gone mad??? Grateful for the words of wisdom on this post. I'll try online hairdresser first  :)

Ju Ju

« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2017, 08:34:50 AM »

Years ago I had my hair permed and it was lovely, but it grew out and I couldn't afford to keep having it permed.

I'm 60+ and at long last growing my hair. When I was very little, I was allergic to my own hair! I had to have it very short. I had almost white hair then and was nicknamed baldy. Children can be so cruel. In my teens, I was able to grow it long, 2 long blonde curtains, until my Mum made me have it cut for my sisters wedding. Mum was a scary lady then! I very much hated her for that! In my 40s I grew it again, but I started what I know now was Rosecea and my hair seemed to make it worse and felt like it was attacking my face. Really uncomfortable, so it was chopped off again. Now, my hair and I seem to be friends, so I am growing it again. It's now long enough to tie back now. The advantage is that the weight calms it down. I had to wash it every day when it was short just to not look like a clown! Maybe it might not suit me, but I'm having my 2nd childhood! And it's still blonde and I only have to wash it twice a week now.

DaisyB

« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2017, 09:46:18 AM »

Maybe I should get that perm after all ;D   - I read that you can get organic perms and they are much more natural looking. As my hair is thinning I thought it would help. Problem is I can't find a salon that does it :-\
Pages: 1 2 [3]