Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Advice on treating Ant bites  (Read 5799 times)

Sooby

Advice on treating Ant bites
« on: July 18, 2017, 08:58:05 PM »

Its July which means bugfest on my farm.

While injecting the goats on Saturday I disturbed an ant colony and by the time the goats were done my legs were covered in ant bites.

I have applied insect mite cream several times over the past few days which has reduced some of the swelling but they itch like mad. :(

Can anyone suggest a remedy to tackle them ???

Mbrown001

Re: Advice on treating Ant bites
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 09:13:20 PM »

I would try an antihistamine.

When berry picking a few years ago I stood on an ants nest....I was bitten every which way. Much to hubbies amusement I ended up taking off my trousers in ....well not a terribly quiet place. I had lumps and bumps right up to my bum. I didn't care though...trousers just had to come off.  ::)
The antihistamines really helped. If you are in any doubt though or feel unwell then go to your GP.

You have my sympathy though. It's really not nice.

cubagirl

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 06:34:50 AM »

Oh Mrs B, sorry but did have a  ;D ;D Last year, our daughter had a terrible problem with an ant's nest outside their back door. They'd made nest at base of a potted plant. This year they've moved to the front of the house. Ant powder everywhere.

Scampi

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 07:05:39 AM »

I can't offer any advice (other than antihistamine), but you have my deepest sympathies - I got an ant bite on holiday in Italy years ago ... it developed from a red bump the size of a pea to a black (and I mean black!) 'bruise' 6 inches in diameter - couldn't move my ankle and the burning itch was only relieved by immersion in the sea!  On-site doctor gave me antihistamines, but it took about 3 weeks to go completely. 

cubagirl

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 12:29:45 PM »

Are these just common or garden ants? I have discovered a heap of them marching across my front doorstep. Must treat before grandkids arrive.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 01:22:08 PM »

Why R people killing ants - every year I type on here: use cheap jars of jam; lids off, laid on the side - the ants will take the jam back to the net.  I never have them in the house and our Estate is built on ants' nests  ::). :  we have black, red and those large brown ones that have a fericious bite  :o but I keep out of the way so they don't get the chance to bite.

It's upsetting the balance of Nature to put down chemicals - I wonder how many people use chemicals to kill ants/wasps/bees where they wouldn't use chemical on themselves or worry about taking HRT  ::)

cubagirl

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 03:16:15 PM »

I don't want my grandkids being stung, end of. Sorry CLKD, but jam would attract bees & wasps too. I really don't want that happening to them.

Mbrown001

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2017, 03:19:42 PM »

If you can find the nest CG a kettle of boiling water does wonders in getting rid of them.

I wouldn't put out jam either I'm afraid. It would attract too many buzzy things which I really don't like at all.

cubagirl

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2017, 03:24:39 PM »

Its somewhere near front doorstep, but if I sit & watch they play silly & I can't find point of entry.

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2017, 03:34:13 PM »

wasps will go for jam, bees rarely do ......... and will fly away to the nest ;-).  They don't sting unless annoyed although I trapped one under my arm once  :o

I didn't answer the question, I would use an anti-histamine spray/cream applying once every hour for 3 hours then as it itches. 

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2017, 05:39:45 PM »

How's the bites?

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2017, 12:17:12 PM »

That's good!