Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: dental phobia  (Read 6298 times)

getting_old

Re: dental phobia
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2017, 09:12:16 PM »

Another dentist phobic here, although I actually went for my teeth cleaning on my own yesterday, so I sympathise with you. When I go and they ask how I am I always reply "terrified", and I usually spend the entire visit stopping myself from getting up and leaving. I find the dentists these days seem to be more sympathetic than the one I had as a child (would be hard to be worse - my dentist did fillings without any pain relief!) and if you tell them you're nervous they will try to put you at ease. I'd second the suggestion to take someone with you if possible.

katsclaws

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2017, 12:17:48 PM »

Thank you getting_old. Well Done for going on your own. I have never had a filling without an injection. That must have been horrible.

katsclaws

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2017, 12:21:08 PM »

Thanks Mbrown001, No I won't hide how nervous I am.

nearly50

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2017, 01:09:50 PM »

Another dentist phobic here, although I actually went for my teeth cleaning on my own yesterday, so I sympathise with you. When I go and they ask how I am I always reply "terrified", and I usually spend the entire visit stopping myself from getting up and leaving. I find the dentists these days seem to be more sympathetic than the one I had as a child (would be hard to be worse - my dentist did fillings without any pain relief!) and if you tell them you're nervous they will try to put you at ease. I'd second the suggestion to take someone with you if possible.

Mine too, he didn't believe in pain relief and loved giving fillings. He died of mercury poisoning and I think it affected him for years. Horrendous. I don't mind the dentist as nothing could be worse than that!

katsclaws, are you sure it is a dentist you'll be referred to - might be a doctor?

katsclaws

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2017, 01:54:09 PM »

That's awful, nearly50.
I'm being referred to a Consultant at the hospital.

nearly50

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2017, 01:57:24 PM »

That's awful, nearly50.
I'm being referred to a Consultant at the hospital.

sorry, just realised that was not a helpful post for a dental phobic. If it's a consultant, hopefully you'll feel a bit better then as it won't be a dental appointment? Hope so.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2017, 02:13:14 PM »

I think it's the 'what could it be' scenario when 1 is referred to a Consultant?

katsclaws

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2017, 02:17:03 PM »

Thank you CLKD, I don't even like going to a hospital visiting someone let alone as a patient.

CLKD

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2017, 02:18:47 PM »

OH hospital visiting could be a whole topic on it's own  ::).  Make that list of your worries to take with you.

Mbrown001

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2017, 06:53:32 PM »

My daughter attended the Maxilo Facial Unit for years and we saw all sorts whilst waiting. She had...umm complicated teeth and we went for consultant treatment rather than our local dentist. I have to say from our experience they were the kindest most professional most gentle group of people I have ever met. Every little detail was explained and discussed in great detail.
If you receive the same kind of treatment that my daughter had then you will be just fine.
My daughter from age 12 went through an awful lot to get the teeth she has today.

They are so professional in these units.

CLKD

« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2017, 07:31:55 PM »

Dentistry has improved in leaps and bounds even in the last 5 years  8)  :)

katsclaws

« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2017, 12:29:03 PM »

I had my appointment this morning and everything is ok. The white line around my crown has changed to an opaque colour so no need for a biopsy. I have to see my dentist in three months. I'm using a very soft toothbrush instead of the electric one I've used for years to reduce irritation of the gum in what is a hard to reach part of my mouth.  I am so relieved. Thank you again for your support. 

ariadne

« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2017, 03:03:05 PM »

Glad all is OK katsclaws.  At my last check up a couple months ago, I mentioned to the dentist that although my teeth aren't pretty, they've never given me any trouble and I'd never even had toothache. Well I jinxed myself there as a couple of weeks later I had some discomfort in an upper back tooth that wouldn't go away so I made an appointment but couldn't see my own dentist as it was booked as an emergency.

He said he couldn't see anything wrong but took an x-ray and we looked at it together. At first he still saw nothing wrong but after tweaking the contrast said there was a problem after all and showed me a shaded area above the gumline which he said was a cavity "but not a normal cavity"  He said it was a resorbant cavity where your body starts to absorb the tooth and it cannot be stopped and would require extraction.  He gave me antibiotics as he said there was some infection there and asked me to see my own dentist the following week.

My dentist repeated what I'd been told but pointed out that due to the shape of my tooth, (wider at the root end than the bottom)  it would be a complex extraction requiring IV sedation and the removal of some bone to allow the extraction.  :o

Well that was a shock- as was the cost ( private but just the very basic one covering checks ups and hygienist ) although he said I could go on the hospital waiting list if I chose to. He said I would need someone with me as I would be groggy and feel drunk afterwards and would need a couple of days off work.

I worried over it for a week but as I'd had no return of the discomfort after finishing the antibiotics, told him that I would go on the hospital waiting list but if the pain returned before I was given a hospital appointment, I would have it done by him.

I told him I was worried all my teeth could be doing the same but he said there was more chance of winning the lottery! He also said it's usually front teeth that suffer this problem so at least I don't have that added worry.

Ariadne xx
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 04:48:02 PM by ariadne »

katsclaws

« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2017, 04:03:42 PM »

Goodness Ariadne, I've not heard of that before. It sounds quite complicated. I hope all goes well and that you have no further discomfort before the surgery. Is the waiting list very long. ? We have Denplan but I'm not sure what it covers.

ariadne

« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2017, 04:49:42 PM »

He said up to 9 months :(. We're with Denplan too but just the cheapest one.

Ariadne xx
Pages: 1 [2] 3