Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: dental phobia  (Read 6299 times)

katsclaws

dental phobia
« on: July 18, 2017, 04:54:04 PM »

About 22 years ago my dentist made a mess of removing a wisdom tooth and tried to put a dressing into an open wound. I told him to stop and went to my GP who said my mouth was a mess and referred me to hospital where it was sorted under general anaesthetic.  Ever since then (having changed dentist of course) I've hated going to the dentist. I went today expecting it to be usual check up and clean but the dentist said I had a white patch on my gum that needs investigation. I'm absolutely petrified. I have to steel myself to go for my six monthly appointments never mind hospital appointments. I'm feeling really sick and can't face food.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 04:56:17 PM by katsclaws »

cubagirl

Re: dental phobia
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 05:30:00 PM »

Katsclaws I have every sympathy, having been traumatized as a child by a horrid dentist. I still don't like going, but my dentist is lovely. Did your dentist give any idea as to what it might be? How long will referral take? Sorry you are feeling so scared.  :bighug:

katsclaws

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 06:40:01 PM »

Thank you cubagirl, the dentist I have now is lovely too. She talked about a biopsy. I'm not sure how long it will take.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 07:20:30 PM »

Katsclaws - it sounds as though it was good you were brave enough to keep going to the dentist after your bad experience. One of the reasons one should have regular dental checks is because the dentist can pick up on anything unusual with the general health of our mouth. This 'white patch' might be something or nothing but early intervention is always good - never leave anything to possibly get worse.
I'm sure you'll be seen quickly. Do keep us posted. DG x

Mbrown001

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2017, 07:42:55 PM »

Oh I'm another dental phobic. I avoided for about six years after having a panic attack in the chair.

I'm sure your dentist is being really thorough and all will be fine.

My dentist prescribes a diazapalm before a visit if you are nervous. It's the only way that I've been able to cope.
Might be an idea to ask if you need more treatment.

Let us know how you get on.

Xx

katsclaws

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 08:32:00 AM »

Thank you Dancinggirl and Mbown001. Oral Lichen Planus was mentioned by the hygienist who I saw after the dentist and I've also been given a very soft toothbrush to use instead of my electric one.   

Urbanchick

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 11:00:08 AM »

Oh I feel for you!  I have had traumas at the dentist recently after sailing through for years.  I am due to go to dentist with white patch on tongue on Friday.   You have my sympathy - try not to catastrophise, they are very careful these days I think and always refer if in doubt.

xx

katsclaws

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2017, 12:47:42 PM »

Thank you urbanchick. I hope your appointment with the dentist is ok on Friday. I will be thinking of you.

Urbanchick

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2017, 01:02:46 PM »

Thanks - how are you doing?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2017, 01:26:09 PM »

It could be owt or nowt!  Better to get it checked.  Will you take someone with you?  You could ring ahead and tell the Dept. you have been referred to how worried and nervous you are.

katsclaws

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2017, 02:44:58 PM »

I'm ok thanks Urbanchick. It helps to keep busy at work.
Thanks CLKD. My husband can go with me. I remember when I had my hysteroscopy three years ago I phoned the Consultant's secretary and she was kind and reassuring as I was concerned about going back to work the day after a general anaesthetic and she changed the date to a Friday so I had the weekend to recover. I'm not good at hiding how nervous I am. 

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2017, 03:39:28 PM »

Don't try and hide it then!  Go in saying "I'm terribly nervous ....... " my Dentist and Staff are very re-assuring or I wouldn't go back !  ;)

katsclaws

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2017, 05:58:23 PM »

Thanks CLKD.

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2017, 06:02:45 PM »

:bighug:

Mbrown001

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2017, 06:54:10 PM »

Oh no don't hide it. I really agree with CLKD over that one.

I find it much easier to say so and then they know just exactly how to put you at your ease

Let us know how you get on.
Pages: [1] 2 3