Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: VERY heavy bleeding.  (Read 1823 times)

fionab

VERY heavy bleeding.
« on: July 17, 2017, 05:05:28 PM »

Hello! First post here although I have been stalking you all for a while. I am at my wits end with my periods. I'm 50 years old and was period free for over 6 months (woop woop I thought). My period arrived middle of June and lasted over 3 weeks. it was really heavy too, changing pads every hour at times.
I had a week clear and then another period arrived pretty much on schedule. What is going on?!
I have been offered Elleste duet 1mg (sitting staring at the packet) by my GP but after reading posts am not that keen to take it.
I have fibroids and a history of migraine.
Will I just ride it out? My other symptoms are manageable-just about. My other option seem to be a hysterectomy.

nearly50

Re: VERY heavy bleeding.
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 05:41:49 PM »

Not much to advise, just wanted to empathise as I've had this for 2 - 3 years now.  Finally my last period was light  and I'm really hoping the end is in sight. Make sure your ferritin levels are ok as doctors are happy with anything over 15 which is really too low. Others on here have recommended the mirena to sort out heavy periods.

As for what's going on, I think expect the unexpected is the order of the day at this point. Sounds like you're near the end though so hysterectomy would be a bit drastic I think. That's all I was offered too.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 10:20:01 PM »

Hysterectomy is a HUGE step.  It's a big operation.

Your GP should be able to prescribe medication to ease such heavy bleeds aside from HRT.

Maybe keep a mood/food/symptom diary too.

:welcomemm:  you could put the product name into the search box on here and see what other ladies report?

daisysareyellow

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 12:32:57 AM »

Hi fionab
I am 51 and I went 5 months without a period and then I got a whopper! Day 1 was crampy and nasty, followed by 3 days of very heavy bleeding with some minor clotting. I went for 7 days, so I guess I can count myself lucky. I am a severe menstrual (hormonal) migraineur and I am also very wary of hormonal medication. I was not allowed to go on the pill after the birth of my son 23 years ago and had to opt for a non-hormonal IUD instead. I really don't know what the answer is here. I guess it is whether the outcome is worth the risk.

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2017, 08:09:04 AM »

Hi fionab

:welcomemm:

Sorry to hear about the bleeds - yes I agree hysterectomy is far too drastic for a couple of very heavy bleeds. Sounds like you had various anovultaory cycles going on which builds up the uterus lining. Until you ovulate it is not shed and when ovulation occurs after some time in this scenario, bleeds can be much heavier. Also sometimes if the womb lining gets too thick after no ovulation you can also get anovulatory bleeds where the lining sheds spontaneously - this is oestrogen breakthrough bleeding. Often if bleeds occur soon after a previous one this can be the cause in peri-menopause. You will know if it was a proper period due to tell-tale signs of pms - breast and mood changes etc. Breakthrough bleeding would not be accompanied by these signs.

There is an article about peri you might like to read: https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/magazine/pdf/Article%20-%20Perils%20of%20the%20Perimenopause.pdf

If you suffer from migraines depending on whether they are hormonal or not or migraines with aura - you may be better off with a transdermal HRT (patch). Here is the information from this site:
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/atoz.php#GlossM

Migraine is often triggered by hormonal fluctuations and therefore may occur around the time of a period. Such migraine may improve at the time of the menopause. Some women find that migraine may be triggered by the daily hormone fluctuations which can occur with oral (tablet) HRT so the transdermal (patch or gel) route is usually preferred with a history of migraine.

If you do want to try a tablet then Femoston can be better tolerated. However there are plenty of women using the preparation you mention so why not give it a try for 3 months and see how you get on. You will get a withdrawal bleed every month but the progestogen dose may help limit the extent of the bleeding.

Hurdity x

elsie001

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2017, 11:05:42 AM »

Hi fionab, I'm 51 and had the mirena coil fitted when I was 49 due to horrendous heavy periods.  Took a good 9 months after fitting for bleeding to stop but they became a lot lighter almost immediately.  No regrets!