Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Just started utrogestan/Oestrogel advice please  (Read 2949 times)

Peripurple

Just started utrogestan/Oestrogel advice please
« on: September 21, 2018, 05:05:54 PM »

Hi there, just looking for some advice.  I am currently in peri menopause, previously tried Femoston 2/10 but suffered with migraines so GP changed to femseven sequi.  I was very allergic to the patches.  I use Vagifem every other day.  I went to Nick Panay,s clinic and was prescribed Oestrogel 3 pumps a day and 12 days utrogestan 200mg orally, initially but was told if it does not suit could try vaginally.  I was really pleased as this seems to be a good combination for many people.  I used the Oestrogel for the first time yesterday and throughout the day developed itching all over, particularly my scalp and my anxiety went through the roof.  I feel so disappointed.  Today I only took 1 pump and have decided to increase slowly up to the 3 pumps, still a bit itchy but anxiety is only mild today.  Has anyone else experienced this and it improved? Any advice?  I am willing to stick it out but so worried this won't work for me.  My main symptoms are VA, bladder problems long periods.

Wanderlust

Re: Just started utrogestan/Oestrogel advice please
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2018, 05:53:05 PM »

When I first went on the Orstrogel and Utrogestan, I had terrible anxiety but it settled within six months- most of the side effects did- despression included. :)

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2018, 07:58:45 AM »

There is a massive long thread on it here - which might be of interest - I'll bump it for you  ::)

https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,23372.0.html

Usually the advice on increasing oestrogen is to start low and slow as sudden increases can have a negative effect - so i think you're doing the right thing by starting with one pump. Women do vary in how much gel they absorb with some barely absorbing at all and some getting pretty high oestrogen levels on just one pump! Body size also has something to do with it to so if you are thin and short then on balance the concentration in your body will be higher than women who are fat and tall!

Keep us updated as to how you feel  and hope things improve :)

Hurdity x

Peripurple

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2018, 01:14:15 PM »

Thankyou for your replies, that's great hurdity wading through the thread now.  It is really helpful and making me realise I need to stick with it and not over think things.

SueLW

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2018, 07:58:24 PM »

Itching skin, especially forearms and scalp, has been a regular issue for me throughout the HRT journey.  It comes and goes a bit.  I find moisturising my arms as soon as the itching starts can help.  And I use argon oil in my hair and on my scalp after I've washed it and before I dry it. 

The itching is often worse in the evening, so it's to do with some hormone or other, goodness knows which one!  But it's much less now than it has been.

Peripurple

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2018, 09:00:54 PM »

Thanks SueLW, my itching is a little better today it's just reassuring that others have experienced this and I'm not the only one.  I will definitely try the argan oil.  I have found with the itching when it is bad so is my anxiety, so felt maybe one was impacting the other.  God knows which way though.  I tend to go round in circles trying to work out which

SueLW

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2018, 09:59:14 AM »

Thanks SueLW, my itching is a little better today it's just reassuring that others have experienced this and I'm not the only one.  I will definitely try the argan oil.  I have found with the itching when it is bad so is my anxiety, so felt maybe one was impacting the other.  God knows which way though.  I tend to go round in circles trying to work out which

You can't really work out which, just know that hormone imbalance is causing it.  When we had regular cycles we could have worked out if it were progesterone dropping or rising or oestrogen dropping or rising.  But we can't now, as our own body production can be all over the place.  It's just an imbalance.  It can also be to do with receptors waking up and reacting.  It will get better.  Meantime, try to find something that helps, like I say plenty of moisturiser helps and (I know this is almost impossible) try not to scratch.  For me the itching is deep inside the skin and almost a pain, yet still somehow an itch.  It feels like someone jabbed me under the skin with a pin. 

Peripurple

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2018, 03:50:29 PM »

Thankyou audacity that's reassuring, I'm not sure what I would do without this website.  I'm already feeling a little better and managed to increase the Oestrogel slightly today, anxiety and itching minimal.  What a minefield this all is   

Kathleen

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2018, 04:01:38 PM »

Hello ladies.

I have recently increased my Oestrogel from two to three pumps and my anxiety is now constant plus I feel nauseous. I'm seeing my GP tomorrow so if I learn anything I'll post it on the forum. Minefield is the perfect description!

Take care ladies.

K.

Hurdity

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2018, 05:04:51 PM »

Nausea is defo a side effect of increased oestrogen (like when pregnant! Also high prog can have this effect too). I wouldn't have thought you needed a dose that high in your 60's (ie that would cause nausea) but I know it does depend on how much you are absorbing though!

Hurdity x

donnacrichton

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2018, 06:16:09 PM »

I get massive tingling in my scalp when changing anything. I could rub it all day and doesn't ease. Not sure if this is what you might be feeling. I've been told it is parenthesia not sure of the spelling  x

Peripurple

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2018, 08:08:33 PM »

Yes exactly it's a tingling in the scalp and almost like things crawling through it.  Makes it very difficult to sleep.  Anxiety and itching is always worse at night for some reason.  Fingers crossed it will settle. Could be a long few months though.  :(

donnacrichton

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2018, 04:29:36 PM »

I can sympathise drives me insane I find it is worse when changing doses. It took me a long time to try to describe it as not a very common problem hopefully it will settle x