Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Agnus castus  (Read 3439 times)

weathergirl

Re: Agnus castus
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2017, 05:56:42 PM »

Hurdity,  i've never used black cohosh myself. But it is a very popular supplement here in the US, and many women do use it with a lot of good results. I can't speak to it from my own experience, but I know it has helped a number of women. Some of whom I know who passed through to menopause and are doing fine both without the black cohosh now anymore and not using HRT. I guess it's just very individual how everyone responds, and what works best for them. xxxx

Tinkerbellj

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2017, 05:59:46 PM »

Didn't mean to ask a stupid question. I am just seriously at the end of my tether.  Grasping at straws

weathergirl

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2017, 06:07:12 PM »

Tinkerbellj, I don't think it's a stupid question at all!  I think what doesn't work for one person may work great for another.  It seems like people's experiences with various modalities are all over the map, and it's a good thing to try to get as much info as possible.   :)

Hurdity

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2017, 07:24:02 AM »

I agree absolutely not a stupid question - no question is stupid on here!!!!

Re personal experiences and whether they are a good guide as to what might work: in the case of conventional approved medicines that have undergone trials and which are "known" to work for a majority of people - then you know it has a good chance of working ( like paracetamol as a painkiller for a normal headache for example), so personal experiences might help with looking at the circumstances in which the treatment works or the dose etc.

Although I agree we're all different - we are all governed by the same basic biochemistry and therefore we have trials to show whether a treatment has a chance of working in principle or not - within broad parameters. Because of the complexities of our hormones ( endocrine system) then this is where the individual response come in!

If the treatments have questions marks over them ( as in some herbal remedies) ie they may have been shown to have a weak effect or are inconsistent - then you haven't got that starting point - so although individual experiences are interesting - they will say almost nothing about whether the same treatment will work for you. Do you see what I mean - because the scientific studies into these treatments may also show the same inconsistency? However there is a strong placebo effect ( in terms of self-diagnosed symptoms) so if it's cheap enough and not harmful - why not give it a try?

Having said that if you have reached menopause  under the natural average age  which is around 51/52 - then oestrogen is recommended over alternative treatments.

Hurdity x

Tinkerbellj

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2017, 09:35:20 AM »

Thanks everyone x I am very reactive to a lot of medications I have no problem at all with hrt or taking it but just disappointed that it isnt the help I was told it would be. I even tried antidepressants as well. They all made sick :'(

Hurdity

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2017, 04:58:48 PM »

Maybe when your own hormones calm down a bit you will be able to try again and you may well react differently and it will work for you?

Hurdity x

dangermouse

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2017, 07:45:20 PM »

Taking phytoestrogenic herbs with HRT can weaken the HRT and cause bleeding problems etc. I think phytoestrogen foods are milder and ok as long as you dont have a lot.

Angus Castus is also one they say you mustn't take with the pill (like St. John's Wort) as it can weaken the pill and a pregnancy can sip through!

They're fine on their own if you have weaker symptoms and they shift your hormones enough.

Remember, pharmaceuticals are often based on herbs so they can be extremely potent but the pharma can be safer as properly measured and trialled.
Pages: 1 [2]