Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Vaginal use of utrogestan...question  (Read 3014 times)

Noheroicsplease

Vaginal use of utrogestan...question
« on: October 26, 2017, 08:04:17 AM »

Hi all,

I'm trying Utrogestan vaginally. Last night was the first night.

My questions are:

1 - Those of you who take it vaginally - does it always 'feel' messy? I'm not sure I inserted it high enough, I thought I had, but it felt gloopy down there which isn't pleasant

2 - I thought it would aid my sleeping issues - but I had a terrible night sleep! Is this usual?

Tinkerbell

Re: Vaginal use of utrogestan...question
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2017, 09:39:43 AM »

I found it messy, but after finding an applicator to use with it that was less of an issue.
It gave me awful nights...vivid dreams, needing to go to the toilet, feeling hot, I gave up using it after a week!

Noheroicsplease

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2017, 10:46:09 AM »

Yes! This was how it was for me. I was so hot last night. Lots of dreams.

Where did you get the applicator from?

What do you use instead of utrogestan?

Tinkerbell

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2017, 11:43:28 AM »

If I remember rightly it was an old canestan pessary applicator.
I switched to a Mirena, had that in for 18 months now.

Noheroicsplease

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2017, 12:01:41 PM »

That's a good idea!

I have the mirena in. I'm trying out utrogestan for a week because I'm not entirely convinced the mirena is for me. How do you find it?

Tinkerbell

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2017, 12:57:59 PM »

Apart from the six months of daily spotting I had after it was fitted, it has been great so far!

Noheroicsplease

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2017, 01:26:53 PM »

That's exactly what happened to me - although, actually, 9 months. It's only just stopped. But I sometimes feel like my mood has been flattened.

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2017, 05:28:09 PM »

Hi noheroicsplease

Yes I use it vaginally.

At my age I welcome a bit of gloopiness - feels a bit more lubricated. ::). I always wear one of those ultra-thin "always" daily panti-liners - but it doesn't seem to be that bad - not that I've noticed anyway? I poke it (them - tiny balls!) up as high as I can - no applicator. Those are apparently only supplied with the 200 mg vaginal utrogestan prescribed for fertility.

When I'm on that phase I have to wake in the night for a pee ( not otherwise) and also wake very tired in the mornings and also have vivid dreams - but that's more to do with disturbed sleep before my bladder wakes me. In the week leading up to vaginal use I increase my vagifem intake to daily just to plump things up the vague notion that this will limit systemic absorption of the prog - based on no evidence but a fanciful idea on my part! (also that vaginal oestrogen absorption is minimised when tissues are plumped so maybe logical for this to be true for prog!).

I always ease myself into it and off it too by spreading the first and last dose ( of 200 mg) over two days so 100 mg x 2 days, 200 mg x  10 days, 100 mg x 2 days - and then have a long cycle every 6-8 weeks. This all makes it more tolerable....I also get used to it after a few days - although sometimes it builds up and then I stay foggy-headed for a few days - it does seem to vary each cycle somewhat!

I couldn't countenance taking it vaginally every day though....is this what you are planning?

I hope it improves for you....

Hurdity x

Noheroicsplease

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2017, 05:44:01 PM »

Hi Hurdity,

Thanks for this. I was prescribed 100mg daily, no break, and told although it's not licensed, to try it vaginally to avoid side effects...

Hurdity

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2017, 07:43:53 PM »

OK - well the best of luck then! I wouldn't like to take it every day at all and especially not vaginally because of the night thing and affecting the bladder (also - sex?) - but there are women who are fine with this and happy :). All the best for you with it anyway!

Hurdity x

Cassie

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2017, 07:52:07 PM »

I just put it in not very high at all and it stays put till the morning, fortunately I do not need to get up in the night for a wee. It does keep me awake, without a doubt and odd dreams and makes me quite bloated and windy as well but I stick it out for 12 days per month, could never manage every night, I need my sleep. :)

Noheroicsplease

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2017, 08:45:40 PM »

Oh, if it's like this every night, then I'm sticking with the coil. This is just a temporary experiment. I might try it orally tonight, see if it's any better.

Tinkerbell

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2017, 09:27:18 PM »

I was also prescribed it nightly with no break...that's why I only lasted 8 days, couldn't cope with another sleepless night.

Noheroicsplease

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2017, 08:45:52 AM »

I took it orally last night. It was much better. But I still couldn't get to sleep for ages. But I wasn't an oven. That said, I was up a lot with a young child, so it's hard to know.

I'll keep trialling.

For sure, I'm hotter early in the day - like now, all the windows are open in my home office. And I never had hot flushes before - that wasn't a symptom.