Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A big bruise on Elbow  (Read 3540 times)

Annieq

A big bruise on Elbow
« on: July 13, 2017, 10:41:48 AM »

Hi Ladies,

Not posted on here for a while, as any questions I have, I can find an answer through search, but not for this one. I noticed yesterday a brown bruise on my left elbow. It's basically on the whole joint. I cannot remember hitting it, but I it has been tender for some while, mostly if I lean on it at a certain angle. I asked hubby and daughter if they had noticed it before and they said no. Now today hubby says it has gotten worse. Course, now I feel pains up and down my arm, being the hypochondriac I am. Tried googling it, but could be anything from hitting it without realising it to cancer, with lupus and chirossis thrown in for good measure.

I have joint pains, and know that is a meno problem. Is this one too?

Thanks in advance.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: A big bruise on Elbow
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 10:55:19 AM »

Could it be a bursitis?   Maybe hop off to a Pharmacist and show him/her? 

Silly

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2017, 11:11:05 AM »

Have you lifted anything heavier than normal without noticing?  Sometimes we bang things and can't remember until the bruise.  Maybe because it's a sensitive area banged it and it's bruised especially if it has fluid inside protecting the joint.  Oh that google I hate it, c comes up all the time  ::)

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2017, 11:27:24 AM »

Arthritis site:

Bursae are thin, lubricated cushions located at points of friction between a bone and the surrounding soft tissue, such as skin, muscles, ligaments and tendons. A bursa lies between a bone and opposing surface (e.g. skin) like a tiny water balloon with only a few drops of fluid in it, wedged between two surfaces.

the bursae are there as a barrier to stop rubbing of the surfaces

from NHS site:

Bursitis causes pain, inflammation and tenderness in the affected area of the body.
The severity of bursitis depends on how inflamed the bursa is. It can cause swelling and stiffness and the affected area may also be warm and red.
The pain of bursitis usually feels like a dull ache made worse by movement or pressure. Supporting your body weight may be painful. For example, if you have bursitis in your hip, you may find it difficult to lie on the affected side.

Septic bursitis

Septic bursitis is bursitis caused by infection. This can cause additional symptoms, such as:
a high temperature (fever) of 38C (100.4F) or above
feeling shivery
an infection of the deeper layers of the skin (cellulitis) 
broken skin over the affected area 
When to seek medical advice

See your GP if you have symptoms of bursitis and a fever as it's likely you have an infection.
Otherwise, see your GP if your symptoms don't improve after two weeks.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 11:29:04 AM by CLKD »

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2017, 11:30:42 AM »

me again:

A bursa (plural bursae or bursas) is a small fluid-filled sac lined by synovial membrane with an inner capillary layer of viscous synovial fluid (similar in consistency to that of a raw egg white). It provides a cushion between bones and tendons and/or muscles around a joint. This helps to reduce friction between the bones and allows free movement. Bursae are found around most major joints of the body.

Silly

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2017, 11:53:51 AM »

It's amazing as we get older how many of us have fluid on our knuckle joints and the joint seems susceptible to banging more or we just notice it more.  I've got two on my knuckle and a massive one in my shoulder like CLKD says it comes to protect the joint from arthritis, they seemed to appear really quickly. I think it comes from over use as well.   Hope you are worrying a bit less now,

Annieq

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2017, 01:03:18 PM »

Ladies,

Thank you for your prompt responses. I could easily have bashed it, however think I would have noticed the black and blue stage. I always have bruises on my thighs and know when I hit them. I can't walk past a table without hitting it. I am on holidays at the moment, so cannot get to a doctor, but will do so when I return, but that isn't for ages. I am sure I read somewhere that bruising was another menopause symptom and I know as we get older, the skin gets thinner.  I will keep an eye on it, took a pic today, and will do so every day, to check not spreading!

Thanks for the link on bursitis, CKLD, will read that.

Goodness, if it is not one thing, it's another.

Thank you all, and if anyone has any other suggestions please advise.

Annette

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2017, 01:15:46 PM »

You can visit a Pharmacy anywhere in the World though  ;) or drop into a local Gym and see if there is some one qualified.

Annieq

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2017, 01:34:36 PM »

Hi CLKD,

I can and it crossed my mind! Though, last time I asked for something in France, my daughters bad cough, they offered me a pressary! I thought I must have said the wrong  word.  ;D My SiL, a nurse, said they use them a lot for kids ailments! So, goodness know what they might give for this. I will keep an eye on it and if worse, visit a pharmacy or a doctor, with google translate.

Hurdity

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2017, 01:59:42 PM »

I often get bruises - sometimes big ones and have no idea where they came from and can't remember bashing myself (although I'm always doing it). They usually just go away....

Yes your right skin does get thinner!

Hope it doesn't cause you too much bother and you enjoy the rest of your holidays! You don't see me for dust when I go away on hols or even short weekends - never come near the forum until I get back   :yipi:

Hurdity x

Mbrown001

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2017, 02:08:49 PM »

Nice to come in for some reassurance though I think.

Hope it fades really soon. If it's a bit swollen then try an ice pack.

Mrs Brown

Annieq

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2017, 05:08:32 PM »

Thanks everyone,

Yes, I came for reassurance! Now, I'm bothered by a sore tooth! I should stay at home!

Annette

Mbrown001

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2017, 06:28:17 PM »

I was given ABs that way once and they were great...no upset tummy.

How long before you are home.....can you wait to see a dentist...

Sending you a  :bighug:

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2017, 07:06:03 PM »

Suppositories deliver medication quickly and by-pass the gut!

Oil of cloves or meths for the sore gum, failing those - a large glass of red? rubbed onto the gum, of course  ;)

Annieq

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2017, 08:16:21 AM »

Hi ladies,

I won't be home until middle of August. We have a house here and as hubby works from home, we decamp to France. As a child,wasn't great at looking after my teeth, scary dentists. TBH, lucky I haven't any dentures, but lots of fillings and back teeth/ side teeth missing. This tooth is on it's last legs, but has only just started to bother me. A piece of chewing gum a few months ago,  when I bit it, the pain just shot up it.  It settled and it settled again last night. I should have gone to the dentist, but really couldn't face it, as certain it needs pulled. Last night, it was a bit of shredded beetroot that got it going again. I know that time and menopause has caught up with my teeth. Oh, to be rich and get implants and veneers! My teeth really age me, as everyone has such fab teeth now. I also watch too much American reality shows, and that gives me a weird ideas to how teeth should look!

On a strange note, coming over on the ferry to France, who should shout my name, but my dentist! She was off on her holidays to France too!
Pages: [1] 2