Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Dr Currie, will my GP take notice?  (Read 5479 times)

Sue52

Re: Dr Currie, will my GP take notice?
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2017, 03:17:06 PM »

After asking for HRT and being refused by my GP I emailed Dr Currie. I asked  if HRT would help my symptoms and what type and dose she would prescribe.
I received a prompt and detailed reply. I took copies of my email and Dr Curries reply to my next appointment with the GP. I explained who Dr Currie was and that she worked within the NHS and my doctor wrote a prescription for exactly what Dr Currie had suggested.
I wish you luck.
S x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2017, 03:39:09 PM »

well done Sue52 - put foot down with firm hand and it worked  :foryou:

Hurdity

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2017, 07:44:10 PM »

As Sue52 says - when you have an e-mail consultation with Dr Currie she will reply by e-mail to you in response to whatever question you ask (so give as much info briefly as you can). She will not write to your GP though as itls not really a private consulation as such ( not at that price). I had a consultation with her and took her letter to my GP - it was about stopping HRT and the doc respected the view of an expert gynae such as Dr Currie.

Hurdity x

Ljp

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2017, 08:37:43 PM »

Does the email give Dr Currues qualifications, I.e like headed paper?

Dollydream

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2017, 06:45:25 AM »

Hi Ljp

I've used this email consultation from Dr Currie and found it really reassuring and quick - had a reply within 24 hours. It is a plain email - no headed paper but what I would suggest is that you ask if Dr Currie could add in her qualifications at the bottom so you could show your doctor her response.  Two separate GP's have recommended me this forum, so I understood from that that it is already well known and respected by many doctors who themselves (in a great deal of cases) have limited knowledge of HRT.  Maybe try and see another GP at the practice if this one isn't being very helpful.
Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

DollyD x

Hurdity

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2017, 08:27:25 AM »

You should not need her to quote her credentials - she is so well known and they are on the web for all to see!

This website gives her quals:
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/about.php

She was also the outgoing Chair of the British Menopause Society until last week when they held their annual conference:
https://thebms.org.uk/
https://thebms.org.uk/about-the-charity/our-people/

Your doc should not need more than this! Personally I think it would be a little insulting to ask her to put her qualifications on the letter since she is one of the countries leading gynaecologists re menopause - and those links should suffice!

Really hope you get somewhere....

Hurdity x

Ljp

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2017, 08:56:39 AM »

Thank you all for your replies.
I was just concerned if I print off an email, my Dr might think it could be from anyone pretending to be Dr Currie.
It's all very frustrating to have to go to these lengths just to get a tube of cream! 😡😡

babyjane

« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2017, 08:58:00 AM »

Try not to overthink things as it will add to your anxiety.  Send the e mail and take it from there.  Good luck  :)

Mbrown001

« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2017, 09:35:21 AM »

I'm sure if you explained this to Dr Currie she would understand as this can be a very hard and challenging time of life.

Wishing you luck in getting this sorted quickly.

It's great that we have the email facility.

Mrs Brown

Hurdity

« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2017, 10:51:02 AM »

I've checked back at my e-mail and if it is the same as in 2013 it comes as from Dr Currie so her name will be in the "from" field.

Big heading at the top says

HERE IS YOUR EXPERT ANSWER

Below this also in big font:

Dr Heather Currie answered:

Then the answer appears along with your question underneath. Someone who has done this recently will be able to confirm whether it is still more or less the same.

The doc would have no reason not to think this was not from Dr Currie - it is absolutely perfectly clear that it is the response to an "ask the expert" facility.

Good luck :)

Hurdity x

Ljp

« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2017, 11:04:03 AM »

Thank you all so much x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2017, 12:13:31 PM »

Let us know how you get on!

Dollydream

« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2017, 01:38:42 PM »

My recent email reply said
and was signed Best Wishes, Heather

Just to let you know, the email was very informal, there was no "Dr Heather Currie replied....."

I wouldn't think twice about taking this to my GP and I think once you explain and give them the option of looking up the links given by Hurdity, they shouldn't have a problem taking the advice of an expert - surely it would make their job easier.

DollyD x

dazned

« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2017, 03:31:20 PM »

They should but doesn't mean that they will,it really all depends on the practice I'm afraid.
My old practice told me that they didn't have to act on my consultant s letter as to what his findings were and what he had perscribed ! At the end of the day it's your gps signature which goes on the prescription so it's best to try and get them on board really. Same with the NICE guidelines we know what they say but they are guidelines only and we can't enforce them unfortunately much as we would like. ::)
Post code lottery I fear.

Ljp

« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2017, 05:36:40 PM »

Hi dashed, I want nothing more than to have my GP 'on board' when you feel like your sitting on razor blades, and already use estring, a little estriole cream for external use is all I'm asking for.

How does one get their GP on board, when they admit they need to ask other doctors if it's safe to use, and then I'm told concencus of opinion is 'probably not a good idea as too much estrogen, however I could try a patch instead of estrogel, or estriole instead of estring'… yet I see many ladies on here that don't have a problem being prescribed both.

I don't want to try and tell my GP her job, I am not confident at all, and hate any confrontation or awkwardness, I have no idea how to go about this, I just want to try some estriole externally to see if it will settle down the external soreness… guess it's asking too much 😢
Pages: 1 [2] 3