Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: HRT patches -perimenopausal  (Read 1611 times)

kdee69

HRT patches -perimenopausal
« on: July 10, 2017, 06:53:21 AM »

Hi.
I've posted a before about my migraines whilst on HRT. I'm 52 and was peri when I went on HRT nearly two years ago. I've been on Elleste duet and also now Femoston 1/10. Whilst I love the HRT my migraines have become unbearable. My doctor gave me Propranalol beta blockers which did keep them at bay but tbh, I feel like a pill junkie and don't want to be taking the BB's. They make me incredibly drowsy and I already have low BP so don't help at all in that regard

I've read the HRT patches may be better but can't seem to find out if they are only for fully menopausal women and of course, I won't know whether I'm that as I haven't gone through it whilst on HRT.
I am at breaking point and just feel that the only option is to stop the HRT to get rid of these debilitating headaches

If ANYONE has had a similar experience with a resolve please please let me know.
If anyone can advise re patches for those on the peri stage also I'd be so grateful

My doctor is sympathetic but a bit clueless. She knows general things but her advice now is to just stop HRT

Taz2

Re: HRT patches -perimenopausal
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 07:34:37 AM »

Hi kdee - sorry you are suffering from migraines. Patch HRT is for both peri and post menopausal women. You will need a sequi one or you can use an oestrogen only patch coupled with a separate progesterone such as utrogestan but I'm not sure how migraines react to that. Details from the menu at the top of the page here https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/perimeno.php

I hope that the change of delivery works for you.

Taz x  :hug:

Tapnut45

Re: HRT patches -perimenopausal
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 07:36:09 PM »

Hi kdee, Evorel Sequi patches are OK for peri women: Info is found in a reference book called the BNF -  you could ask your pharmacist to tell you about it, or alternatively, for more detailed info go to medicines.org.uk and put the name in the search box. You then see documents, either the PIL (patient information leaflet) or SPC (summary of product characteristics). The PIL is for patients, the SPC more for health professionals they do tell you what the product is licensed for and how they should be used, plus side effects, and contraindications (who it cannot be prescribed for). Or see link.  http://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/medicine/15325
I don't know if there are any more, I've just started researching this for myself, as thinking about starting HRT and want to know what my options are when I see the doc on Thursday.
Good luck with finding something that suits you and hope your migraines settle.