Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Mirena coil - 6 month update  (Read 2443 times)

peri

Mirena coil - 6 month update
« on: July 09, 2017, 09:39:34 PM »

I've now had the mirena coil 6 months and would like to share my experience.

Although successful re bleeding/spotting, some may remember I suffered initially with bloating,
impaired libido and flat mood.  I'm pleased to say that 6 months on things are resolved.  I've dropped the weight by being very strict with diet, avoiding bread and eating a mainly plant based diet has helped.  Libido (response in particular) is much improved thanks to the introduction of a tiny blob of testim every day. Finally, I'm pleased to report that the flat mood (more a sort of lack of joy, and intermittent not all the time) has gone and I'm back to my old self.

I don't mind admitting it hasn't all been plain sailing but I'm so glad I stuck with it.  I was advised to give it 6 months and that was so right.  Best of all though is the thought of no periods/withdrawal bleeds for the next 4 years, yay.

Peri x
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 09:54:39 PM by peri »

Tinkerbell

Re: Mirena coil - 6 month update
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2017, 11:57:53 PM »

Good to hear your experience has been positive.
I have had mine 15 months and am pleased I persevered with it, had 4.5 months of daily spotting to begin with! I had mine for the progesterone element of my HRT, I am now two years post meno.
Might give the testim a go at some point, was offered it by gynae but didn't really know a lot about it so refused.
Will forward to your next update.

DaisyB

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 09:56:50 AM »

Peri it's really good to read that things can work out ok. My next challenge is to get testim - will be pushing for this at next GP appt.
pleased for you x

peri

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 08:10:56 PM »

Hi all

Thanks for your kind words.  Shortie and Tinkerbell I think you're right, it's about riding out those initial months and then it's fine.

Daisy B and Tinkerbell good luck with the testim, it's definitely worth it x

BobbingAlong

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2017, 01:53:24 PM »

Thanks for posting this update.
I'm having a mirena inserted tomorrow and feeling a little apprehensive about the settling in phase.
I had to come off tibolone at the end of May and had a horrible month with a return of all my symptoms.
I just started oestrogel gel a week ago and have been feeling so nice and normal again. I'm kind of taking a deep breath and trying to accept that it may all go downhill again tomorrow. Wish I didn't have to have progesterone.
Still, your post is a timely reminder to give it time.......
Thank you. X

peri

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2017, 08:34:32 PM »

Hi Bobbinalong just wanted to say good luck for tomorrow.  I took some strong painkillers beforehand, I don't know if you've been advised to do this but I found it helped.  Hopefully you won't have too many side effects (I didn't have any for the first 2 weeks, and they peaked months 2 & 3).  If you do though perseverance is key as it is worth it.  You can always post for help if you're struggling x

BobbingAlong

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2017, 10:10:07 PM »

Yes, good tip, was planning to take pain-killers. Not, too worried about the insertion itself as did have a copper coil once and putting it in and out was OK. 
Just got the dreads about side effects from the progesterone!
But who knows, just got to try it and see how it goes.
Thanks for the support. :)

DaisyB

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2017, 10:50:22 PM »

Good luck for tomorrow BA - I had it fitted for first time in April - spotted for two months - I noticed dreadful migraines and increased anxiety within couple of days but that was because I wasn't getting estrogen. All sorted as soon as I got estrogen into me! hope it goes smoothly for you.  :)

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2017, 08:31:25 AM »

Hi peri - just read this - great news that you feel so much better and that the Mirena is working for you - such encouragement for other women going down the same route! Interested also that you find it OK using testosterone along with the testosterone derived progestogen in the Mirena and they don't seem to be antagonising each other!

Do continue to keep us updated :)

Also good luck BobbingAlong!

Hurdity x