Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: any one else ?  (Read 1446 times)

elainewin

any one else ?
« on: July 10, 2017, 04:07:30 PM »

Hello I just wondered if any one else has had a bleed 13ths after last period.
I am 57yrs old and it seemed like the menopause would never come , with lots of ups and downs with hormones ,I finally thought after last june no more periods finally managed to class myself as in menopause ,low and behold 13ths down the line and ive started to spot again felt like a period or hormone related as felt really tired and ill .
I have been to Drs today and have been referred to the hospital will be seen within 2wks .
I know it can be a sign of cancer ,but just wondered if other ladies have had any experience of this happening ang what was the outcome x

Hurdity

Re: any one else ?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 08:27:23 PM »

The cut off time before referral for scanning is set conservatively at 12 months to ensure that those few women who bled after this time are checked over. In most cases it is just a late period - it is only the majority of women who will no longer have another period after 12 months without one. I don't know the actual figure but there will be a substantial minority - most likely you are one of them - who will ovulate more than 12 months after the last period.

Also you have had/are having a late menopause and there could be problems eg fibroids or something which causes continued late bleeding, which the docs will want to investigate.

Your doc is doing the right thing with the 2 week referral - this is current protocol and designed to protect women and identify cancer (or the precursors of it) at the earliest opportunity. Some cases of bleeding may be due to endometrial hyperplasia (thickened lining with cells gone a bit awry) and a small proportion of these cases  could be in the stage before cancer or very early so please try not to worry unduly - you are at least in good hands.

The good news is that if you felt hormonal and it felt like a period - then that is a sign that it might have been - breakthrough bleeding caused by thickened lining is often painless so I understand without the same hormonal feelings.

Did you have any scans in the time leading up to your last period before this one?

Not quite the same situation, but I had bleeding after sex when I was ages post-meno but I was already taking HRT - had a scan and biopsy/hysteroscopy but nothing found to be wrong.

Do try to do something to take your mind off it and occupy your time between now and then and let us know how you get on.

Take care

Hurdity x

elainewin

Re: any one else ?
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 08:57:51 PM »

Thanks Hurdity,yes I had a scan approx 2yrs ago,and all was clear, I cant help being worried as I have not felt well in this last week or so.
I lost my mother at the young age of 52yrs , with bronchial cancer, but she had a hysterectomy at the age of 36yrs old due to cervical cancer ,and I see how easy these things seem to come about .
I am so grateful to this site it helps to talk and write down your feelings.
I will most certainly keep you all informed if my journey helps any one else will be a great feeling  Elaine x