Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Confused! Blood clots!  (Read 3248 times)

sadielouise78

Confused! Blood clots!
« on: July 07, 2017, 11:58:22 AM »

Hi, I am totally confused as to what is going on with my body.  Two months ago I had blood tests to check for earlier menopause (I'm 42).  My symptoms were irregular periods (sometimes nothing, then weeks of bleeding), fuzzy head, confusion, mood swings, night sweats (for past year and a half), terrible sleep patterns.  My readings came back to say I was in the menopausal range.  I was asked to have another test a month later which I did but just before I had the blood test I had a bleed and most of the symptoms eased.  The second test then came back as normal which didn't surprise me due to bleed and symptoms easing.  I've now been asked to have another test in 3 months.  The bleed was for 3 days and very light.  Then a week or so later I started bleeding again which is now ongoing, sometimes every day, sometimes every other day.  It's carried on and now it's every day.  I am also getting extremely bad period pains (which I haven't had for years) once a day which paracetamol and ibuprofen is just not touching.  It's so bad I'm doubling over and when this happens I'm passing big blood clots.  I'm so confused as to what is happening and whether I'm menopausal or not.  I'm trying to get an appointment with the doctor but it's proving difficult at the moment.  Does anyone have a similar experience or can anyone offer any advice?  Thanks very much.

nearly50

Re: Confused! Blood clots!
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2017, 12:08:23 PM »

hi sadielouise78, it sounds like you're perimenopausal at the moment - if you were over 45 they'd just tell you that based on symptoms, but because you're younger they need to do blood tests.

Clots are really painful to pass, I feel for you. Hopefully someone else will be along with practical solutions, I've been lucky and only had real pain when I've been at home so I go and lie down with a hot water bottle until it eases. Bleeding on and off is pretty common in perimenopause too I'm afraid.

There's loads of good information on here which will hopefully help you. Keeping a note of symptoms and tracking your periods might be helpful to try to make sense of it all.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 12:12:24 PM by nearly50 »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 12:09:19 PM »

HORMONES!  I had those symptoms through many of my menstruating years  :-\  :'(

If you bleed heavily the GP can prescribe medication to ease it.  Maybe ask what is available, also what combinations you can take for the pain.  I used Feminax - I think - for bad period pains, a Pharmacist could offer advice too if you can't contact your Surgery.

Have a look-see at the Daisy web-site too.

weathergirl

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2017, 01:21:25 PM »

I had flooding periods with clots and intense cramping in the few years leading up to menopause.  I had always had clots and bad cramps (I have endometriosis), but toward the end of peri it was INTENSE.  :o It is likely hormonal swings, but you should check with your GP if you're concerned. 

Flooding, heavy periods are very common in peri.  :( This can then swing back to light, frequent or infrequent ones, skipped periods, periods that are two weeks apart, spotting that goes on for weeks, etc, etc - I had all of this, and I had been someone who, prior to this, had extremely regular periods my whole life. 

Sadly there is no 'normal' once the cycles start changing.  Some women are fortunate and their periods just seem to dwindle and eventually disappear.  But most go through some sort of roller coaster ride!   If you are really at your wits end, talk to your GP.  I remember being in and out of the office frequently during peri as I was confused at what my body was doing!

sadielouise78

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2017, 09:43:43 PM »

Thank you all for your replies. So if it's perimenopause do I just have to ride it out or is HRT available during this time? I've finally got a doctor's appointment for Monday morning so I can discuss it more with her. Feminax - I tried this when I was a lot younger and had some sort of reaction to it so I've always stayed clear since then. Not sure what happened exactly, I'd have to ask my mum. Ablation (think that's the word) was mentioned at one point too so I might have to ask about that too. It might help with all this flooding and clots.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2017, 12:42:38 PM »

The drug was withdrawn in the mid-1970s but I don't know why then re-introduced.  Your local Pharamcists should be able to advise what is available i.e. in combination and when to take what with (if that makes sense).  Clear as mud?

Maybe make a list of which symptoms you would like to ease, some ladies find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary useful so that they have something to talk with their GP/Practice Nurse about. 

Once you've talked about what is available you can come back here and compare notes  ;)