Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: At a loss....what would you do?  (Read 1782 times)

Noheroicsplease

At a loss....what would you do?
« on: July 19, 2017, 03:06:36 PM »

Hi all,

Some of you will have seen me here before...I started the mirena/estrogel combo in January after a year without periods.

To cut a very boring story short, I've bled regularly since the coil's been in. Had a few weeks where it was clear, then it would return. I've persisted, though, to see if it would settle down. I've also had a scan and everything is fine.

A month ago, I also started experiencing really crap hair shedding; I've had it before, a few years ago, when my ferritin levels dropped considerably. I've seen a dermatologist, and he's pretty sure it's the same thing again - my ferritin levels are very low, probably due to the continuous bleeding of sorts, and I'm on a high iron/Vit D/lysine routine.

I still decided to stick with it as around the time I saw the dermatologist - 3 weeks ago or so - I decided to up the estrogel and my bleeding stopped. I thought, yah! I've stopped the trigger for TE and the mirena has settled. And, I felt pretty good.

These past few days, however, I've had bleeding. A rusty brown discharge that requires a tampax.

So now what? I unfortunately got prescribed Oestrodose instead of estrogel which i've been taking since Saturday and I wondered if that caused the bleeding? Today I've started estrogel again.

But what do I do? Stay with the mirena? Find another progesterone? I feel good in myself (won't if I go bald, though). And I have no idea what progesterone to try (the sleepiness equated with utrogesterone really worries me. I get up 5.30 most mornings to write/exercise and it's 'my time' of day).

Thanks all. All advice welcome.

xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: At a loss....what would you do?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 03:32:31 PM »

:bighug:

Noheroicsplease

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 03:55:06 PM »

Thanks so much, Shortie! That's what I need to hear.

I have already had it changed. Thankfully I've got a) a sister who's a pharmacist so she helped me word my case b) a great surgery c) a lovely pharmacist who understood and acted

I'm lucky. I now have Estrogel and my prescription now states Estrogel as opposed to Estradiol. That's why I got Oestrodose; I was just lucky before. If the prescription doesn't state the brand in the header, then they'll give you whatever brand. Even if the prescription puts Estrogel as an additional line, it still won't sway it (apparently that can cost a pharmacy extra money, still) so it needs to say it in the header. THe pharmacist is calling the doctor to tell her this and I've also emailed.

Hopefully, the blood will ease off again now. I'm at two pumps of estrogel, I've had none of the symptoms I had before when i did 2 pumps so it's obviously the right dose.

Really appreciate the reply. It's given me a bit of hope!

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 05:04:34 PM »

Hope it settles now noheroicsplease! :)

If not the only other suggestion I would have is to go for a long cycle with vaginal utrogestan ( under supervision) as I do and then you don't have the permanent side effects?

Hurdity x

Noheroicsplease

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 05:58:05 PM »

Thanks Hurdity. My plan is to give it all till end of August - coil, bleeding, Telogen E. If it hasn't moved on, then I'll splash out to see a consultant and see what my options are. Utrogestan or Provera seem to be the ones I'm leaning towards and the former on the sort of cycle you suggest. x

Jinja

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 06:28:48 PM »

Hi,
I'm in the same position as you, had my mirena for just over a year during that time I've bled more days than not, GP put me on additional mini pill but that gave me migraines, I'm now at the point of considering something else. I have an private appointment in sept with Dr Needing, do I'm hoping she has done suggestions
I'm also on 2 pumps of oestrogel

Jinja

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 08:09:02 PM »

Hi shorties,
No I stopped after 2 months and 3 migraines! I'm 45 and perimenopausal I'm waiting til my private appointment in sept as my doctor's seem to have no clue.

Noheroicsplease

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2017, 09:24:54 PM »

Jinja - my doc offered me more progesterone but I refused

Is your bleeding fresh red blood? Mine is mostly dark rusty brown.

Why do some women bleed so much more on coil - Shortie, do you know? I'm desperate for it to stop...