Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Menopause, dizziness, back outs, nausea  (Read 3264 times)

Tong

Menopause, dizziness, back outs, nausea
« on: July 04, 2017, 01:21:38 PM »

Hi. I am a 44 year old Thai lady, with 2 girls (ages 6 and 9).
I have noticed that when my period is due I often now experience dizziness and have had several blackouts (when I collapse on the floor). Doctors do not know what the problem is.   I am worried this may happen when I am out shopping or when my husband is at work.
Am I having a severe menopause onset reaction??
Has anyone had this?
What prescriptions or vitamins do you take?
from Tong (Australia)

nearly50

Re: Menopause, dizziness, back outs, nausea
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2017, 01:26:18 PM »

Hi Tong, don't know if I can be much help but I've been dizzy quite a few times and fainted twice during perimenopause, both times were when I'd skipped periods. All I can suggest is lying down as soon as you feel faint, not so easy when you're out and about I know!

I thought it was due to low ferritin levels, but the second time I fainted they were higher. Still worth getting that checked out I suppose.

edit: forgot to say, welcome to the forum! And should've asked what other symptoms you have, ie  any changes to your cycle?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2017, 01:39:35 PM »

Maybe keep a diary of food/moods/symptoms.  Are you more or less hungry as you approach your period?  Could be food related.

Is it when you stand up, some people can have a sudden drop of blood pressure.

Browse round.  Make notes.

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2017, 07:19:48 PM »

Hi Tong

:welcomemm:

The first thing is - I think you should go and see your doctor if you are feeling dizzy, having blackouts and fainting. There could be all sorts of reasons for this and you don't want to second guess what these could be.

As CLKD says you could have low blood pressure and also the sudden drop in pressure when you stand (I get this on standing up quite often although I don't black-out and I have low blood pressure.

Are you taking any medication which could cause this eg any which lower blood pressure like beta-blockers for instance?

The fact that you considered menopause means you may have other symptoms as nearly50 says - perhaps your periods are changing and maybe you are missing a few?

If you are heading towards this stage then the general advice is to make sure you eat a healthy and varied diet with lots of fresh ingredients - cut out sugary foods and drinks and reduce the amount of refined carbs ( eg white bread, cakes and pastries) in favour of fruit, veg, nuts, beans, whole grains, low fat protein, fish, dairy food etc. Eat regularly too. Also reduce alcohol consumption and give up smoking if necessary, keep within healthy weight limits, take more exercise, fresh air, low stress and a good night's sleep - sounds like a lot!!

Hurdity x

cubagirl

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2017, 10:38:52 PM »

I get occasional dizzy spells too. They are horrid. I got mine checked out, heart is fine. Worth getting it looked at, may well be nothing.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2017, 11:33:50 AM »

I have a nerve in the back of my neck which if I turn suddenly - and I can't explain what triggers the sensation as it's so fast - I go 'oh!' and feel strange ? dizzy ?  light-headed ........

Is there a lot of humidity there at present Tong?  Add The Change to the mix and you may need to see a Nurse or Doctor for advice.

warwick01

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2017, 11:40:39 AM »

Hi

At 48 started getting dizzy/off balance for 7/10 days a month fell to floor once when on heavy period. Never connected it to hormones then (do now) seen several Doctors who said it was middle ear problem  :(

In those days I was not aware of menopause symptoms. Like most women only told about hot flushes/nigh sweats >:(

Wx