Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Hand embroidery  (Read 9153 times)

CaroleM

Hand embroidery
« on: July 02, 2017, 12:23:54 AM »

Does anyone hand embroider?  I did lots of cross stitch, but got bored eventually.  Ventured into "proper" embroidery, much happier.  I have a wonderful husband who has paid for me to take a few one day classes with the Royal School of Needlework at both Hampton Court Palace, their HQ, at Bristol and Exeter.  Two more booked for later on in the year at Bristol. :medal:

Did anyone know that when the Iranian Embassy siege occurred, the RSN was right next door and the SAS used it s their HQ.  Talk about a bird's eye view.  Classes continued around the SAS!

babyjane

Re: Hand embroidery
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2017, 09:14:28 AM »

I used to but not since I have a cataract.  I did a very intricate cross stitch of a little mouse asleep in bed in his woodland cottage, lots of detail.  If I tried it now it would be a case of crossed eyes stitch!  :madeyes:

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2017, 10:08:30 AM »

I was lucky enough to know a lady for many years who was a fine needlewoman. She died a couple of years ago at 93 and I was given a fabulous small tablecloth which she had embroidered.  I cherish it and have it on a small table in my summerhouse. It is covered in spring flowers, daffodils, grape hyacinths, crocuses, etc and is just gorgeous. 

She did Hardanger work, black work, tapestries and embroidery right up until she died and used to exhibit it. 

She did give me a few lessons in embroidery but I never really got into it sadly but I admire those who can do it.

babyjane

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2017, 10:17:23 AM »

I still have a cushion in a hand embroidered cover that my Nanna gave us when we got married nearly 41 years ago.  Nanna has been gone since the mid 1980s but that cushion is still on the guest bed  :)

CaroleM

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2017, 12:50:00 PM »

It's lovely to know that you all treasure those embroidered items which have come to you. Reminders of some pretty amazing people.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2017, 01:44:46 PM »

I have a skirt which Mum embroidered at the bottom: smocking : she won a Prize!

I have a throw which she embroidered whilst I was growing up - the pattern on paper was ironed on so that a thin line of ink was impressed into the material which was the followed by a needle.  It has various types of stitching - she won a Prize for that too.  I framed a piece that was made to be a cushion cover but is far too nice ......... it is huge in our hall. 

Me: I have no skills at all  :D

Salad

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2017, 10:31:04 PM »

I've literally just been out and bought a cross stitch kit, wooden hoop and light up magnifying glass as a gift for my mother's 85th birthday. She's a bit apathetic with her other hobbies of knitting, reading and TV watching now so thought this could spark a new interest.
... Or just end up in her cupboard  ;D

CaroleM

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2017, 05:02:59 AM »

OK girls, my Mum would be the 1st to tell you that the last thing she ever could imagine me doing was embroidery.

She's my step Mum, but don't think for one second we see each other in those terms. Give her a needle, sewing only though, and she was brilliant. Now I wasn't exactly the world's best student with a needle. There was more than 1 piece she unstitched for me to do again. Needless to say, this caused serious rows between her and Dad, he took my side. To stop the rows, I refused to take anything involving a needles up. Not so long ago, she asked me what I thought he'd say if he could now see me embroidering. My reply: he'd probably have the heart attack that killed him! Yes, both of us grinned.

Chatting one day, she said that the lady next door had brought a lovely cross stitch geisha she had stitched, however Mum's not a fan of cross stitched. That info was, err, unexpected, more so since I was in the middle of one for her Christmas present.  However, it still has pride of place in her hallway and I have one proud Mum.

We all have talents hidden away. Then one day they just pop into existence. At least that's how it happened to me.  If anyone lives in Plymouth, or local areas and fancies a coffee, it would be great having a stitch-in sometimes!

Mum will enjoy her present when you give it to her. Because it is from you, will mean so much more to her. Hope you enjoy it too Salad.

CLKD,  you do have skills, they are having snoozing session at present. When you least expect it, they will appear, begging for paper, drawing, painting implements, you will be a master of woodwork or anything else that surprises you. Your Mum had more patience than me, I can smock but all the preparation got to me. These days you can buy a smocking pleating machine, but at over £100 it's out of my budget. Did some at a class I went to, we had to use something totally unexpected. My choice, horse's mane and tail hair, we were at an agricultural college and the stables were handy. It struck me as odd that no one had thought of that source before! I had a colourful mix of colours. The girls in the stables came up with a great bag and once they'd stopped laughing they were quite intrigued. No horses were hurt in the process, mane and tail pulling is quite normal when grooming. Not too often though or it might be thought that the mares were menopausal and had thinning hair :madeyes: :cancan:

BabyJane, I do hope you find a way to be able to pick up your needle again sometime soon. Your mouse sounds totally adorable.

Well, I have one hour until the alarm goes off, so I think I'll get a little reading in before facing the day.  Have a good one everyone!

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2017, 08:52:14 AM »

Well thanks for those words.  My skills are cleaning the kitchen units/bathroom: sorting laundry/dishwahser: gardening  :-*  :-* : feeding wild birds and neighbours' cats  ;D

Today is cleaning until le Tour begins  ;) - sofa serving is a skill I am practicing.

CaroleM

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2017, 02:50:51 PM »

CLKD, can I employ you?  :lol:

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2017, 02:59:25 PM »

Nope  :lol:  you couldn't afford me  ;)

Two hoots

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2017, 03:11:54 PM »

I used to do cross stitch, I framed one I did after my son was born, it was Noah's arc with all the animals and his name and date of birth (sons not Noah's)  ;D

When aforementioned son was in primary school his class had sewing lessons, his friend missed play time because he sewed his jumper to the needlework  ;D

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2017, 07:55:11 PM »

I used to do cross stitch, I framed one I did after my son was born, it was Noah's arc with all the animals and his name and date of birth (sons not Noah's)  ;D

When aforementioned son was in primary school his class had sewing lessons, his friend missed play time because he sewed his jumper to the needlework  ;D

That reminds me. When my son was about 9 a couple of Mums came into school and did cross stitch sessions for the kids.  One of them told me that she had never met a child who picked it up as quickly as my son and that he was much better than any of the girls. He has a very mathematical mind and is a perfectionist, maybe that helped!

Salad

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2017, 10:51:32 PM »

ed.

Mum will enjoy her present when you give it to her. Because it is from you, will mean so much more to her. Hope you enjoy it too Salad.

Thanks CaroleM, I'll let you know  :D

CaroleM

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2017, 11:17:44 PM »

Two hoots,

I know exactly the one you did, absolutely cute and when your son grows up he'll treasure it for his children. You might even end up doing some for your grandchildren.

I've managed to sew me to all sorts of things. If nothing else, it amused onlookers, you know, Mum, MIL etc ;D

Time for bed, once Morse has finished.
Pages: [1] 2