Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: please someone help me work out what to do...stopping HRT  (Read 2945 times)

kdee69

please someone help me work out what to do...stopping HRT
« on: July 03, 2017, 07:33:53 AM »

Hi there. I'm 52 and was peri with a growing list of symptoms so doctor prescribed me Elleste Duet - got terrible migraines so switched to Femoston 1/10- unfortunately the migraines didn't go. So last month doc prescribed me 40mg of Propranolol (Beta Blockers)

To cut a long story short, the migraines have all but gone (hurrah) and I have (and I kid you not) put 6 pounds on in 3 weeks and it's climbing.
Reading about the BB's - this is a well known side effect.

Prior to taking the BB's I was really in two minds whether to just come off the HRT - I don;t really want to be on it as I know that there's ultimately a chance I'm going to have to face the menopause if I do come off it at any time anyway. And I'm seriously considering going through the meno..

So, question is : can I just stop taking the HRT - cold turkey style? I can't find any threads advising me how to stop. I spoke to my doctor who said, "you've probably gone through the meno now so it could be fine" - wtf!
All docs I've seen at my practise have not got a clue!

Even as I type this I think I've decided to stop the HRT - I just feel like a pill junkie at the moment and it's not really like me to have to take 5 pills a day!

I know I'm going to have to go through it but I think it's worth it to get through to "another" side

nearly50

Re: please someone help me work out what to do...stopping HRT
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 07:48:01 AM »

Hiya, if you type 'stopping hrt' into the search screen there are a few threads to look at.

https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,34962.msg559504.html#msg559504 for starts

Who knows, maybe you're through the worst of it and when you stop you'll be on the other side :)

I'm sure someone else will come along with help on whether to taper or go cold turkey - good luck.

MicheleMaBelle

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 08:15:42 AM »

Hello- I asked my consultant about this. He says there's no right or wrong way.
I suspect tapering off is a better option if you're on a high dose but you're not so maybe you could try taking it every couple of days and gradually reduce over space of couple of weeks. See how you go with it?
I'm now off completely- bit of a mixed bag so far. PM me if you need more details x

dazned

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2017, 08:39:54 AM »

I've tried it both ways ,cold and tapering off,for me there really was no difference. I think it's very much an individual response. Good luck with yours.

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2017, 06:36:50 PM »

Hi kdee69

Firstly -  I am pleased that your migraines went but what a pity the doctor chose to give you beta-blockers before trying you out on a different mode of delivery for HRT. For those who suffer migraines and headaches - transdermal HRT is preferred:

Migraine
Migraine is often triggered by hormonal fluctuations and therefore may occur around the time of a period. Such migraine may improve at the time of the menopause. Some women find that migraine may be triggered by the daily hormone fluctuations which can occur with oral (tablet) HRT so the transdermal (patch or gel) route is usually preferred with a history of migraine.

If your migraine was induced by the HRT then it could have been due to the metabolic by-products (from oral use) or the progestogen. Although many women tolerate the progestogen in Femoston very well, some don't tolerate synthetic progestogens at all. In this case progesterone might help. Some women are progesterone intolerant so may need to vary their progesterone cycle length under medical supervision.

In terms of stopping taking HRT because you will have to go through the menopause when you stop - this is wrong and a common misconception!!  Menopause is the cessation of ovulation and all the extreme hormonal fluctuations leading up to this point. While you are taking hRT, and if you continue - you will go through the menopause but the transition will be eased by the hormone replacement and hopefully mitigate the mood swings. If you eventually decide to stop at a later date and if you have gone through the menopause - then your flushes may or may not return - but it is thought that the extent to which this happens is unaffected by whether you take HRT. In other words - your flushes and sweats may not reappear or they may do so. If they do so then it is likely you would still have been experiencing them had you not taken HRT. Therefore on this basis alone you will have given yourself all those years of quality of life that you would not have had. This is the important question! Say you take it until 60 and your flushes come back - well you've had 8 years. If you stop now you may spend those 8 years ( and more) still flushing. You cannot know which group you will belong to. Also you have those extra years ( of taking HRT) of bone protection and cardio-vascular health.

If you do decide to stop taking HRT - please let it not be for that reason! Aged under 60 the benefits exceed the risks - all other things being equal and you are in good health (and keep to healthy weight, limit alcohol etc).

As Michelemabelle said stopping HRT suddenly or slowly won't make a difference as to whether flushes come back or not - they will just come back quicker if you stop suddenly.

I stopped for 3 months cold turkey after medium dose (50 mcg patch) and by 3 months all my symptoms has come back and including more that I hadn't had before so went back on it post-haste and have been on it ever since now in my mid 60's.

If it's a choice between stopping HRT or stopping the beta-blockers (re your pill junkie comment!) - I would persist in trying to change the HRT type, and then stop the beta blockers -because the HRT is better for your health  (assuming your migraines can be dealt with on a different HRT!).

Hope this helps and good luck with whatever you decide :)

Hurdity  x

Bluebell

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2017, 09:29:23 AM »

Hi Hurdity, I've been on Evorel Patches nearly three months and each time I change the patch I get a racing heart I've also been  experiencing strange taste in my mouth and keep having to swallow because my mouth feels dry. I changed the patch last night and got up this morning with a feeling my ears are blocked and I feel unsettled? Do you think the patches are too strong for me or don't agree with me?
I'm 63years and periods finished when I was 59years. I would be interested to hear your opinion.

Cheers, Carol. 😉

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2017, 07:08:51 PM »

Hi Carol

Is it the Evorel conti you are taking? If so it could be that continuous progestogen (norethisterone) that is not suiting you and causing the side effects. If it persists perhaps think about changing to  the other one (Femseven) which seems to be better tolerated although some women report sticking problems. I don't have this problem because I take my HRT cyclically despite being in my 60's precisely to overcome the problem of continuous progesterone - but the downside is having a bleed! This does mean I can use the very small patches Estradot which I find work very well and I don't notice any difference when I change the patch.

Hurdity x

Taz2

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2017, 07:13:48 PM »

I've tried it both ways ,cold and tapering off,for me there really was no difference. I think it's very much an individual response. Good luck with yours.

Same with me - tapering or cold turkey was all the same - symptoms returned within three months. Good luck with coming off it - hopefully you wont have to many symptoms. I intend to stay on it as long as I can as, without it, I feel so low.

Taz x

Bluebell

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2017, 07:22:07 PM »

Thanks Hurdity, you are a very knowledgable lady re: HRT. It's a complete minefield to me.
I will make an appointment to see the doctor again. I only really went on HRT to see if it would help with the palpitations but as yet it hasn't.

Thanks again, Carol. 😉