Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Hand embroidery  (Read 9151 times)

CaroleM

Re: Hand embroidery
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2017, 10:33:09 PM »

Tomorrow we are going to Bristol for me to see what is involved with the RSN's Certificate course. They have satellite centres in the UK, Japan and the USA. Their tutors go all over the world teaching.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2017, 11:04:33 AM »

RSN   ???

CaroleM

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2017, 01:01:09 PM »

RSN = Royal School of Needlework.

Still in Plymouth and Bristol is 2 hours away.  Stephen hasn't had a good night, just got back from an emergency appointment with his GP.  Disappointing but Stephen's health has to come first.

CLKD

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2017, 03:14:37 PM »

Tnx.  Does the intense heat and humidity affect your husband? 

Does Open University at Milton Keynes have a sewing course?

CaroleM

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2017, 01:51:59 AM »

CLKD,

Stephen does get a little more wound up when he's very hot, but otherwise the weather doesn't affect him too much. Like. most people, cold causes aches and pains. I just have to make sure he's warm enough, but not overly warm.

I don't know if the OU does a textile course which might encompass plain sewing. What are you looking to do? Our local WEA does dressmaking classes and I think our local education authority has something similar.

Hope this helps.

Carole

CLKD

« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2017, 12:27:17 PM »

Nope.  Not good with a needle  ;D - gardening is my relaxation of choice.  Give me a good magazine though!

How is DH today?

CaroleM

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2017, 12:22:42 AM »

This is an exciting day for me.  I have enrolled in my very first taught class for the Jacobean embroidery module of the Certificate course. Jacobean is also called Crewel work. I am so excited and just want to get started. I have to wait until mid September though. :ola: :bouncing: :cancan: :cupcake:

Did I say that I'm excited?

CLKD

« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2017, 12:11:32 PM »

;D

dahliagirl

« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2017, 12:52:54 PM »

On holiday in the Lakes, we came across Ruskin Lace which was a 19th century attempt to add value to linen produced in the Furness area.  It seems to be a form of drawn thread work - video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlZYB2SCg6g

They had some stunning examples in the museum at Coniston, including a picture of St Cecelia, patron saint of music, looking beautiful and Artsy Craftsy.  (There is also the remains of Bluebird for those not interested in textiles  ;) )

CaroleM

« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2017, 03:20:35 PM »

Dahiliagirl, thank you for the YouTube lead. I have skimmed it, but will sit down properly once we get back from Stephenson parents.

Get we go, I must marinate the salmon for our tea.

How much did they recover of the Bluebird? I remember watching TV with my parents and witnessing that dreadful run.

Hope you are all as well as you can be today and enjoying the sun.

dahliagirl

« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2017, 10:11:59 AM »

There is the engine and another bit, in the main.  The rest is away being restored - goodness knows why  ::)  There is plenty stuff to see, good interpretation and videos and pictures.  I had not realised it had only happened in 1967 - I thought it was deep in the distant dark past (ie before I was born  ;D )
Pages: 1 [2]