Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: hi  (Read 1251 times)

GFM

hi
« on: June 29, 2017, 11:13:58 AM »

thank you for letting me join.  I came across the forum when I was doing some research into the Mirena Coil.

I sailed through menopause about 5 years ago, no hot flushes but had bouts of flooding.   Some of my friends were having an awful time so when I went to the doctor about something else I asked if I would know when I had been through it and a blood test confirmed it was all done and dusted - great.  Then about 4 years ago I had a tiny bit of spotting - back to doctor, long wait for hysteroscopy - extreme pain so the registrar (who was lovely) said there was a polyps but to insist on a GA for the removal even if the consultant said no.  She tried to say no but I insisted and the polyps (in the neck of my cervix) was removed.  That was 3 years ago.  No problems.  (I had a polyp taken off the outside of the cervix about 18 years ago as well).

The past few months I have had nausea, dizziness and intense hot flushes which I had thought may be diabetes as I am overweight, then on holiday at the end of May there was a tiny bit of bleeding - not blood as such but pinkness.  Lightbulb moment - the last polyp had been accompanied by nausea and warm (not hot) flushes each time it bled.  Went to the doctor when we were back thinking that it would be months before a referral again - bleeding at the time I saw her.  Within a couple of weeks I got an appointment!

This Tuesday I went down and had an internal ultrasound (did not hurt but later that day developed stomach "dragging", nausea, and generally feeling awful - googled it and apparently that is not uncommon).  Also had an appointment with the Consultant for a hysteroscopy but told him that I would not have the procedure without sedation as having been through it before I know how painful it is, and even taking pain killers beforehand would not help as mentally I would not be able to relax.  He agreed it would be far better for it to be done under GA (so the male registrar for the first one and the male Consultant for the second both very sympathetic unlike the female Consultant on the first!!)  I am now on his list for day surgery. 

We talked about the fact this is the second polyp since menopause and he suggested the coil to help prevent any further episodes.  Having read that some people have had no problems at all but that others have experienced bleeding etc I have almost decided that for the time being I will be saying thanks but no thanks.  The coil lasts for 5 years - but if there is going to be another polyp it may be 4 or 5 years before it even starts to grow.... if I do get one within this time then I will reconsider (or there may be other things to try).

Now I just need to be very strong minded and lose some weight!!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: hi
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2017, 10:36:29 PM »

:welcomemm:  do you feel supported with the various Consultants?  Sometimes ladies get pushed from pillar 2 post without anyone really listening  ::)

At least with the Mirena I think it can be removed if it doesn't suit, though can take a few weeks to settle in?  Maybe put it into the search box on here to see what threads pop up?

Browse round. 

We have threads about losing weight too, some find 'weight watchers' regime useful with additional gentle walking, swimming or yoga - we have threads on those too  ::) and do read up on vaginal atrophy - forewarned is forearmed  ;)

GFM

Re: hi
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 07:26:06 PM »

thank you.... the consultant now is lovely and listened to my concerns.  I had done lots of searching (including loads of information from this site) which is why I am inclined to leave things and see how it goes without the Mirena.

Losing weight - it is will power I need!!!!!  Much easier to stick to strict eating plans without a partner who brings in biccies, chocolate etc!