Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: The Magnesium Thread  (Read 33057 times)

Tempest

Re: Estrogen In HRT Depletes/Blocks Magnesium
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2017, 07:49:05 PM »

Julation, the Magnesium Glycinate is the gentler on the tummy.  :) xxxxx

Epsom salts are a good way of getting magnesium, Cassie. You could also try a spray which you use on the skin like Mrs. Brown uses - a well known chain of health food stores sells a good one.  ;) xxxxx

Julation

« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2017, 07:57:29 PM »

And what is your dosage Tempest?  I'll try to find the Glycinate one.

Tempest

« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2017, 08:14:45 PM »

You can get the Glycinate from Amazon, Julation -  I mentioned the brand I use earlier. :)

I'm dosing 100mg twice daily at present to start (I was advised to go slow at first), rising to 200mg twice daily - 400mg is the RDA. xxxxx

Claireylou

« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2017, 08:33:17 PM »

Tempest, thank you so much for this information. Mine will be here tomorrow. I think I'll do as you say and start low xxx

Mbrown001

« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2017, 08:39:36 PM »

Be careful you don't take too much to start as it can cause loose bowels.

Hence me using a spray. I spray it on warm skin just after my shower and then give it time to dry before I get dressed. It can sting a bit so I generally spray on my legs, tummy and arms avoiding anywhere that could be sensitive.

The forum is a real fund of knowledge but as Elizabethrose says unless we are all careful then we can quite easily be recognised.

Mrs Brown

Tempest

« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2017, 08:49:40 PM »

That's brilliant, Claireylou! :)

I do so hope you find that they are beneficial to you. Hubby has just pointed out that the DM also published an article just yesterday about a study using magnesium for depression. The results were extremely favourable! It's amazing how much this mineral can do, and how so many of us may benefit from it for so many reasons.

The glycinate is much gentler on the bowels, Mrs. B - but it's a good idea to start slow. There are several types of magnesium - citrate, glycinate, glutamate (this one is not good) and taurate (the most expensive)! The spray is a great way to go too, I agree. I know some users have experienced itching with the sprays - there are now 'sensitive' versions of these too now, fortunately.  :)
xxxxx

dangermouse

« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2017, 08:59:21 PM »

That's interesting as I always thought Magnesium raised oestrogen levels as when I used to take them for slow transit, I would feel good for a couple of days and then really low and depressed.

After trying oestrogen HRT I had the same feeling but maybe they both just trigger migraine mood issues in me?

I did try to supplement calcium (in case my magnesium levels were too high) a few years ago but they also made me feel bad a couple of days in. As did Vit D which made me swell up all over.

I do envy people who can take supplements as I used to benefit from them when younger. Perhaps I'm just too sensitive and better with gentler homeopathic remedies now.

dangermouse

« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2017, 09:01:13 PM »

Also, there's a book called the 'Magnesium Miracle' you may be interested in. Hope it works for you all!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2017, 10:19:28 PM »

I read your comment ElizabethR as tongue in cheek  ;D

I have used high dose magnesium (can't remember the dose nor how often) for getting rid of a persistent cough reflex.  About 6/7 of us in the middle 1990s had persistent coughs following dreadful colds: for 3-4 months and as musicians it was very embarrassing ........... within a few days of swallowing high dose magnesium capsules which are HUGE the cough stopped.  The others were still coughing so a couple tried and found that ti worked for them too; however, 4 me it worked on my bowels 2  :o

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2017, 10:26:48 PM »

Maybe if one supplements with minerals and the body has enough, then 1 may well become unwell  :-\.  Certain minerals take a while to filter through the kidneys which will expel most thing not required by the body.  Pity we can't be see-through and watch what is happening  :-\  :-X

Epsom salts is relaxing.  Granny swore by it for sore feet or in the bath, as well as mustard for a foot bath.  Zinc and Castor oil.  Lots of salt on veg to stop muscle cramps.

It doesn't matter whether food is organic or not, it's the time taken from field to plate that is important!  Also how much fruits and veg. we eat daily as well as a regular exercise pattern - we are hunter gatherers and still built to hunter-gather  ;).  Then someone decided to build a house so the animals had to be tethered or in a field  ::).  I digress  :whist:

How many of you stick to regular eating times rather than eating when the body is hungry, even in the night?   Some medications prescribe for indigestion can have dire effects on the rest of the system  :( (Dr James le Fanue, Daily Telegraph ). 

DaisyB

« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2017, 11:23:23 PM »

Tempest thank you - informative and helpful and definitely worth sharing. Correct me if I'm wrong  ;)  but I thought the point of this forum was to share knowledge gained through personal experiences? :-\
You know I am not the least bit interested in what your backgrounds or areas of expertise are - just that you are on the same path as me and that you are willing to share and pass on what you have learned - I am able to make an informed choice and do my own research from there on in.
It's not helpful when there are women reading this ( including me) who have no history of this forum and the politics that may have developed with people who have been members for quite some time.
What is helpful is that a woman will share and bare her soul with us. And will tell us what she has learned coming out of that experience that appears to be helping her. And to back that up with some research so that we can explore further if it resonates with us personally.
I for one am very grateful for this information. Thank you

Claireylou

« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2017, 05:57:56 AM »

I'm very grateful for everything that I've learned on here  :)

I'm looking forward to giving them a go. If they work, marvellous. If they don't, at least I've tried.

I've done a bit of reading up on Magnesium since this thread started and it really is interesting  :)

nearly50

« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2017, 06:03:54 AM »

Thanks again tempest, have ordered mine from amazon now - I've recently changed to a magnesium, zinc and calcium supplement and noticed that there isn't as much magnesium as there was in my old supplement. Maybe that's why I've had neck and knee pain again in the past few days.

dangermouse

« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2017, 06:23:43 AM »

One tip I can give (based on others I know who've taken it too), keep up the daily dose as if you skip a day you may get cramps in your fingers and toes. I think it's because Magnesium relaxes the muscles so when you suddenly stop higher doses you get a rebound effect.

I used to love very hot epson salt baths (but they also affected my mood later on as did the sprays) and all types of supplementation is great for sleep for those who find it difficult to relax.

DaisyB

« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2017, 06:59:46 AM »

DM - good tip - I was taking high dose in/off as well as Epsom baths - stopped everything last week - prob should have stayed in magnesium!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8