Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: lactose free vagifem  (Read 7770 times)

Elizabethrose

Re: lactose free vagifem
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2017, 12:47:16 PM »

Hi girls, just found this on the NHS meds Q and A site. I couldn't lift the link so I've just cut and pasted.
Q&A 132.6

Is there a lactose-free hormone replacement therapy (HRT)?

Prepared by UK Medicines Information (UKMi) pharmacists for NHS healthcare professionals
Before using this Q&A, read the disclaimer at www.ukmi.nhs.uk/activities/medicinesQAs/default.asp 
Date prepared: 14th October 2015

Background

For general information about lactose intolerance and medicines see Medicines Q&A 131 “What factors need to be considered when prescribing for lactose intolerant adults?”

Answer

All branded oral formulations of oestrogen-containing hormone replacement therapy (HRT) currently available on prescription contain lactose (1,2).

Tibolone (Livial) tablets (HRT which combines oestrogenic and progestogenic activity with weak androgenic activity) contain lactose (1). The vaginal tablet, Vagifem (estradiol), contains lactose (1).

The following oral branded products CONTAIN lactose: Angeliq, Bedol, Climagest, Climaval, Climesse, Clinorette, Cyclo-Progynova, Elleste-Duet, Elleste-Duet Conti, Elleste-Solo, Femoston, Femoston-conti, Hormonin, Indivina, Kliofem, Kliovance, Livial, Novofem, Nuvelle Continuous, Premarin, Premique, Premique Low Dose, Prempak-C, Progynova, Tridestra, Trisequens, Zumenon (1,2).

The following oral preparation licensed for progestogenic opposition of oestrogen HRT contains lactose: Climanor (2).

Utrogestan (progesterone) capsules are lactose-free (1).

Lactose-free options include patches, topical preparations (e.g. gels, creams) or vaginal rings (1,3).

Limitations
Lactose-free complementary medicine, generic or ‘specials' products may also be available and have not been considered. Individual Summary of Product Characteristics should be checked before prescribing as formulations may change. It has been assumed that all information concerning lactose in manufacturers' Summaries of Product Characteristics or Patient Information Leaflets is complete and correct.

References
1)   Summaries of Product Characteristics for HRT preparations listed in the BNF online October 2015. Accessed via www.medicines.org.uk/emc on 14/10/15.
2)   Patient Information Leaflets for Bedol, Climanor and Clinorette. ReSource Medical UK Ltd. Accessed via http://www.resource-medical.co.uk/index.html on 14/10/15.
3)   Summaries of Product Characteristics for FemSeven, FemSeven Sequi and FemSeven Conti. Teva UK Ltd. Accessed via  www.tevauk.com on 14/10/15.

Quality Assurance

Prepared by
Nicola Watts, Lead Clinical Advice Pharmacist, Southampton Medicines Advice Service, University Hospital Southampton NHS Foundation Trust.

Date Prepared
14th October 2015

Checked by
Kate Pickett, Lead Pharmacist – Formulary and Medicines Q&As, Southampton Medicines Advice Service, University Hospital Southampton NHS Foundation Trust.

Date of check

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2017, 12:51:17 PM »

:thankyou:

we are a Mine of Info.!

ancient runner

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2017, 01:47:53 PM »

The Estring might be the answer... unless you're silicone intolerant too. It sits in place and gives you 50mcg of oestrogen locally each week, equivalent to x5 vagifem but minus the lactose.

nigela

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2017, 08:31:32 AM »

Hi I too asked if I can get a pessary without lactose and was told no. I have been told to use a maintenance dose of 2 per week of vagifem but they are giving me stomach pains as I'm Coeliac and now lactose intolerant too.
Nigela

Ljp

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2017, 09:36:28 AM »

I was going to suggest the estring too, but see ancient runner beat me too it 😊😊
The good thing with the estring is it's there constantly, just needs replacing every 3 months. It can easily be removed by yourself, and reinserted.

nigela

« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2017, 11:52:06 AM »

I will only be getting 20mcg  a week tho, with the pessary that would be more than I was recommended.
You cannot win.
Pages: 1 [2]