Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Getting tech-y at 58 is not easy!  (Read 7402 times)

dulciana

Getting tech-y at 58 is not easy!
« on: June 26, 2017, 09:14:02 PM »

Some folks will know that I play the organ and that I'm rather crazily trying to fulfill my pipe-dreams (pun!) of getting more performances despite not being 28 any more (wish there was a smiley for "I wish"   :)!) 
I know that websites are the thing these days and I do have one that my Hubby designed for me.  However, it's very tired-looking, and apart from having a few snippets on it, of me playing, it doesn't really do me any favours.  The thing is, I don't know the first thing about website design, although I know what I'd add to mine if I knew how to do it.   Hubby, who's recently retired, is sort-of interested in helping me, but in rather a "tomorrow-will-do" way and I think I'd be the same if I was retired.  I've just seen a video for musicians, about social media and websites, which is packed full of useful information but is probably better understood and acted-on by younger people.   I've got a nephew who can work with websites but he's very busy and lives miles away.  I could pay someone to make my website look amazing, but with me working part-time and Hubby on a pension, that's not really an option.    All this is making me feel old, although Hubby says I don't look my age and I'm still very "driven" in my musical pursuits.  I'm just not the right generation (or person!) to take tech-y things on board and because of this, I don't quite know what to do about it.  I know that post-meno feelings aren't helping my lack of confidence and are probably making me feel overwhelmed and apathetic in the face of all this. Meanwhile, time waits for no man (or woman!)  Maybe I should just email people directly, who might be interested in my musical offerings......I've got one or two in mind.......But then, maybe that would look stupid and old..... :-\     Then again, you only live once    ::)    Nothing ventured, nothing gained.   Oh, I don't know..................
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 09:23:20 PM by dulciana »

Mbrown001

Re: Getting tech-y at 58 is not easy!
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2017, 09:27:26 PM »

I really don't think that there are many of us that could build a really good looking website. It's not easy...or so I'm told by my code writing son.
I think you need to put age aside......your talents lie in other directions and weigh up if it's a viable business investment for you.
What do you want to get from this....offers of more work, more teaching...or what.

Jot down your ideas and then, if you decide it's what you want, shop around web designers. If you browse sites that you have admired then the designer should be there.

You will never know until you enquire how much the design and also hosting will cost you.

Good luck, it sounds as if it could be a lot of fun.

Mrs Brown

bramble

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2017, 10:12:27 PM »

Have you thought about a facebook page?  Lots of companies have these as well as a website. Depends on what you want the website to do for you:
1. advertise yourself?
2. tell people more about you, the person?
3. interact with like minded people?
4. offer a means of people getting in touch?

All that can be done with a facebook page.

Pros: free - you can do it - easy - easy to post photos - easy to change/add stuff yourself without a website designer being involved (again!)
Cons: can't think of any.

Pros: it's a web site
Cons: may need to be set up by a professional - costs money both for the designer and the annual fee for the hosting site - need to buy a domain name - difficult to change/add photos etc after it has been set up.

Just a thought!

Bramble

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2017, 10:16:18 PM »

Or ask a Student at a near-by College to help you as part of a project/experience?

dulciana

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2017, 08:20:56 AM »

Ladies, thanks a million for all the thoughts and advice you've given me, here.  You've made me think, in the middle of my can't-see-the-woods-for-the-trees state. 

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2017, 10:38:26 AM »

It's good to talk  ;)

cubagirl

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2017, 03:01:54 PM »

Fiddle I read that as tetchy.  ;) Oops should have put my specs on. Bramble's suggestion sounds quite good. Add your friend's names & ask them to share. That's what someone I know did with her hair & beauty business.

getting_old

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2017, 07:39:28 PM »

Or ask a Student at a near-by College to help you as part of a project/experience?

Don't do this. We used to get students come in to work, create websites then head off into the wild blue yonder leaving something that no one else had a clue how to maintain.

dulciana

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2017, 08:34:59 PM »

Fiddle I read that as tetchy.  ;) Oops should have put my specs on.
 ;D  D.

Bramble's suggestion sounds quite good. Add your friend's names & ask them to share. That's what someone I know did with her hair & beauty business.

Good point, CG.  I'll think about that.  Thanks.
D.

getting_old

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2017, 08:48:38 PM »

There are loads of create your own website tools but the website is only useful if it's easily found or known about. I'd try facebook first then maybe other social media, then you can mail the links directly to the people you think may be interested.

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2017, 10:29:04 PM »

Don't worry I read it as 'tetchy' too  :whist:

bramble

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2017, 10:31:53 PM »

I used to be very agin Facebook at first but as long as you set your privacy controls correctly, its great. From a business point of view however you would set them for public. I can see what my friends are up to, we can post photos, set up groups etc. I think if used responsibly it is super. Like everything else, the key is responsibly.

Bramble

Ju Ju

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2017, 07:57:28 AM »

I remember the pain 2nd hand of creating a website, when DH set up his business about 10 years ago! He is good at what he does, but hasn't a marketing bone in his body!

What he did is refine and refine what information he wanted to put on his web site. (And still is now as his business evolves. ) He enlisted me to write the 'about' section, as he found it difficult to sing praises about himself. He collected testimonials. He looked at other web sites in his field to give him an idea what he wanted. He found the services of a web designer, a young mother, who was taking time out of work, but was grateful for the odd project. She was recommended by someone in his field and her rates were very reasonable. However, she did exactly what was asked of her and sometimes you need help when you haven't a clue and she was difficult to get hold of. So you pay for what you get! You do need someone who can will say "what about doing it this way?" He was also told he wouldn't get any business through his website and to do this and that, including Facebook etc networking meetings, all things he had no interest in. But most of his clients have found him through his website and word of mouth. Mind you, if we relied on his business to put food on the table, then he would have had to do all those things he didn't want to do.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 12:54:35 PM by Ju Ju »

Hurdity

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2017, 04:50:00 PM »

Hi Dulciana

Websites based on wordpress are very easy and there are plenty of off the peg templates which I am sure could be personalised with a bit of tweaking. I would cultivate that nephew - doesn't matter that he lives far away - you can do it by e-mail if he has the time? Depends how old he is of course but would he do you one for a small payment as a favour? Also yes to the Facebook idea - social media is definitely the way to go - not just for younger people. Do you have many clips of you playing? It (the website) doesn't have to be big or complicated but then you could at least have the link out there.

Yes build up a mailing list of suitable contacts (remember to bcc them!) for direct e-mailing. Get some pictures on your FB page, invite your friends to "Like" it and away you go! Is there a platform for organists for potential concerts? Some sort of list of venues, churches etc? Once you've updated the website and done an FB page you can link to this with your mail-shot! Maybe organ playing doesn't work like this?

Anyway it sounds great that you want to put yourself out there - and as you say YOLO!!!

Good luck :)

Hurdity  x

Mbrown001

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2017, 05:24:26 PM »

I will PM you later with the information that I got from my son which hopefully will be helpful

Mrs Brown