Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Taste and smell  (Read 2682 times)

kazy68

Taste and smell
« on: June 26, 2017, 07:35:40 PM »

Hi all
Back in the begining of may had a dreadful cold , lasted about 3 weeks but felt like a life time ( as all colds do)
The thing is that since the cold I haven't regained any sense of smell or tate at all, occasionally I will get a small wif of something but in seconds it's gone, as for taste nothing but I can tell if I have sweet or savoury so strange if I have curry or spicy there is nothing there at all , is this a meno thing or just something that is related to the cold.

Karen x

Cazikins

Re: Taste and smell
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2017, 09:13:48 PM »

Hi Karen, I had a bad cold about 2 months ago & lost sense of taste & smell too, it didn't put me off eating though sadly - thought I might have lost a bit of weight ;).

It took about 6 weeks for it to come back & like you I was a bit worried. I think you should hang on for another couple of weeks to see how it goes & if it's still not come back then get it checked out at the doctors.

Personally I don't think it is related to the menopause because of the fact that you have had a bad cold.

Cazi x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2017, 10:06:42 PM »

Sinuses can become aggravated.  I would get it checked though as it is unpleasant at the very least!  R U on any particular medication?

kazy68

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2017, 07:43:11 AM »

Thx for reply both
Cazi I will be getting it checked out its awful don't want to eat.
Clkd not on any medication for anything the only thing I did do different was used a sinus spray when had the cold to help me breath easier, over the last few days I have had an awful mucus'y tinny taste a few times makes me feel really sick.

Karen

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2017, 10:39:05 AM »

Sounds like a cold residue which can alter taste and smell.  Bugga ...........

kazy68

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2017, 01:09:39 PM »

Absolute pain in the back side lol

DaisyB

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2017, 01:41:58 PM »

Kazy so sorry to hear about your taste and smell. If you search on forum you will find my story about taste and smell. Mine went the same way - in middle of really bad upper respiratory infection. But also at same time I was in melt down with peri meno symptoms. I also have severe anxiety ( another peri meno gift ;) ) so this has caused great concern and worry. We are all different and you may very well recover quicker than me.  Alpha lipoid acid very good if you start early enough ( I didn't  :-\ ) usually you should make full recovery but may take a wee while x DM me if I can be of any help at all

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2017, 05:04:13 PM »

My sense of smell and taste have definitely declined as I have got older - not sure if it's age or meno-related? In my case it's nothing to do with a cold so I think mine is gradually fading... I hope you make a full recovery with yours :)

Hurdity x

kazy68

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2017, 12:01:19 PM »

Thx for reply's daisy & hurdity
Daisy how long dI'd it take for things to return to normal, like you I'm in middle of peri  :-\ and do suffer with health anxiety so I'm sure you can imagine how I'm feeling atm, I thought about giving it a few more weeks to see if all returns to normal and if not a visit to go will be in order.
Hurdity I remember my gran lost all sense of taste and smell but not sure if she was a lot younger or if it was in her later years, for me it just doesn't feel right gone off food and all I drink now is water, coffee just tastes like hot water yuk, went out for meal for father's day and had water with ice lol nothing like a nice glass of wine with a meal but paying for a meal you can't taste is one thing but the price of the wine to get nothing from it is another lol.

Karen x

DaisyB

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2017, 10:39:31 PM »

Kaza - firstly its more common than you think. Secondly starting steroids sprayed into nostril for up to 12 weeks was advice gp gave me - but I should have went earlier than I did. I also researched alpha lipoic acid - a supplement that got good results in a study conducted with ppl who had lost all or partial smell and taste through respiratory infections.
Hopefully it will come back soon. I found that gradually it came back - but I still can't smell bad smells and taste of savoury is effected. I am still seeing improvement so I hope I'll get full recovery xx hope that helps you

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2017, 10:46:08 PM »

HORMONES!  when I took The Pill all I could smell was garbage, didn't realise until I had been off the drug for 5-6 months! 

DaisyB

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2017, 10:50:08 PM »

Yup CKLD i had a meltdown just before it happened and a dreadful chest infection so I'm sure hormones played a part in it.

Katia

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2017, 07:24:50 PM »

Mind went when I changed from the pill to hrt. It's either come back or I've got used to it. I wonder if it's related to hormone changes at all?

Cazikins

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2017, 12:26:30 PM »

I still think it is related more to the cold that you had rather than hormones. If you hadn't had a cold than probably hormones may have played a part in it.  :-\ :-\

See if things settle down in the next few days Katia then maybe ask a pharmacist for advice.