Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Can HRT help joint pain and stiffness?  (Read 7682 times)

mrspinkrat

Can HRT help joint pain and stiffness?
« on: June 25, 2017, 05:46:38 PM »

Hi everyone!
For some time now I have experienced joint pain and stiffness. Although I haven't had periods since I was 43  (I'm now 47) I never really connected these pains with menopause. And neither did my doctor for that matter!
A recent random bleed led to a referral to the gynaecologist who has suggested that these pains could be due to hormone changes.
What I want to ask is, is this a common symptom of menopause? Because I haven't up to now experienced any typical meno symptoms...
I'm reluctant to start HRT if I don't actually need it!!
However, these pains and stiffness are making me feel like a 90-year-old woman so if the patches could make me feel like my old self again then I would be more than willing to try.
Does anyone know if joint pains (no swelling) and general stiffening up are a meno symptom which could be alleviated by HRT please?
Thank you in advance xx

Annie0710

Re: Can HRT help joint pain and stiffness?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2017, 06:44:25 PM »

They've definitely been a symptom for me when my oestrogen levels are low

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2017, 06:45:57 PM »

Hi mrspinkrat - you say you don't actually need HRT but from what we know about early menopause I think you do. If you experienced menopause at the age of 43 then you definitely needed to be prescribed oestrogen in order to protect your heart and bones even if no menopausal symptoms were present. This protection should have been yours naturally up to the usual age of menopause which is deemed to be 50/51 years of age. HRT before this age carries no risks because you are merely replacing what nature has failed to give you.

Joint pains and stiffness are known to be a menopausal symptom and, in my case, they were totally alleviated by HRT.  I would urge you to give HRT a try at least for the next few years. The further you get into menopause the more your oestrogen levels drop and this is when more symptoms can arise. Why suffer if there is no need?

Taz x  :)

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2017, 06:49:38 PM »

This is from the green menu at the top of the page under Menopause and then Symptoms and https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/physical.php

Taz x

mrspinkrat

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2017, 10:42:12 AM »

Thank you.
I think I will only find out if I try it - the gynaecologist suggested a 3 month trial.
Another question!
Not sure if I should start a new post?
Will I bleed while using the patches? I've not had regular bleeds for 4 years (2 random, heavy bleeds in that time). They are Evorel Sequi.
And how soon would I know if they're going to help my pain etc?
Sorry! So many questions 😕 Xx

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2017, 10:54:55 PM »

If they are sequi then, yes, most women get a bleed on these. The bleed is to protect you from endometrial cancer which can happen if the lining of the womb builds up too much due to the oestrogen. The first couple of bleeds can be painful and heavy but by the third month this should have settled down so don't be discouraged if this happens to you.

I found that patches worked really quickly for me. The joint pain and stiffness were gone by the end of the first month but everyone is different. Good luck - let us know how you get on!

Taz x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2017, 10:42:47 AM »

As oestrogen levels drop muscles may become lax = aches and pains.  Also lack of oestrogen can cause the body to dry: inside and out: eyes, deep in the ears, vagina, skin  :welcomemm:  ::)