Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Alcohol and meno?  (Read 4746 times)

Yammy1

Alcohol and meno?
« on: June 24, 2017, 09:36:45 AM »

Anyone else fine they can't tolerate alcohol during meno. I've lost all interest in drinking the past month or so, went to a funeral yesterday with hubby( not a close relative a friends brother) as soon as I started drinking my heart started beating really fast and I felt generally uncomfortable, it hasn't bothered me not drinking lately but we've a few little holiday breaks coming up and I'd like to be able to have a social drink. Just wondering if anyone else has this problem, cheers.

Mbrown001

Re: Alcohol and meno?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2017, 09:53:23 AM »

I'm ok with a glass or two but I've read on the forum lots of meno ladies can't tolerate any at all.
Before I went on patches even one glass triggered a hot flush but now I'm ok generally.

Mrs Brown

cubagirl

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2017, 09:56:25 AM »

Something with lower alcohol maybe. I quite like non alcoholic beer. Not the worst. Hate non/low alcoholic wine though.  :sick02:

cubagirl

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2017, 11:34:07 AM »

I'm the queen of cheap dates sparkle, or so hubby has said since we first met.  ;D ;D ;D

Yammy1

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2017, 11:45:11 AM »

Thank you all, it's the fast heart rate that scares me the most, don't understand why alcohol does this, maybe I'm antisapating it and making it worse. Maybe I'll try a spritzer and se how it goes, I don't mind not drinking but it would be nice now and again, as for hubby he reckons he's saving a fortune lol.

Mbrown001

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2017, 03:33:42 PM »

Expensive wine is wasted on me as it gives me a shocking hangover even after just two small glasses.
I just like something quite light. Australian wines are very glugable  ::) ;D

I don't drink spirits at all anymore. They just make me sick now for some reason.

Mrs Brown

Ju Ju

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2017, 04:56:54 PM »

I have never tolerated alcohol that well. Might as well chuck it straight down the loo and miss out the middle man or woman in my case! Like Cubagirl, my DH calls me a cheap date. I'm happy with a glass of sparkling water.

shoppingqueen

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2017, 04:59:52 PM »

I stopped drinking as soon as meno hit- total alcohol intolerance- two glasses felt like I'd drunk a bottle the next day. I agree with the battery acid, the most monumental hangovers and took days to recover and that was on two glasses! I know have a total aversion. I've heard it can be worse with progesterone. Even starting HRT hasn't allowed me to have social drink. its more of a problem for others than me- people are suspicious of tee totallers I find 😁 For me, just not worth the shocking lack of sleep adrenaline surge, palps, migraine type headache the next day and nausea. Used to drink everyone under the table xx

shoppingqueen

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2017, 05:07:58 PM »

I stopped drinking as soon as meno hit- total alcohol intolerance- two glasses felt like I'd drunk a bottle the next day. I agree with the battery acid, the most monumental hangovers and took days to recover and that was on two glasses! I know have a total aversion. I've heard it can be worse with progesterone. Even starting HRT hasn't allowed me to have social drink. its more of a problem for others than me- people are suspicious of tee totallers I find 😁 For me, just not worth the shocking lack of sleep adrenaline surge, palps, migraine type headache the next day and nausea. Used to drink everyone under the table xx

Yammy1

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2017, 05:15:13 PM »

That's interesting MBrown, I drink Bacardi, never had a problem in the past but now I can't seem to tolerate it, I like beer but it seems to set my sinuses off, can't win lol. As for wine I get the most awful hangover  :-\ , shoppingqueen your right, it doesn't really bother me as much as others not drinking. But I would like to be able to have one or two and feel relaxed instead of jittery and on edge, ah well just another day in the life of menopausal women, cheers
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 05:20:29 PM by Yammy1 »

cubagirl

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2017, 05:16:39 PM »

Mrs B Raspberry Gin is very gluggable too, though not with tonic. Topped up with lots of lemonade & its become one of my favourite drinks. Alcoholic, but not OTT.

cubagirl

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2017, 06:37:35 PM »

Well  ::)

Mbrown001

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2017, 06:56:04 PM »

I just don't tolerate spirits at all.....and I really could at one point.

I've discovered they don't taste as nice coming up as they do going down  ::) ;D

I do like my not so expensive red wine though.

Babycham used to be a favourite a few decades ago.

Mind you when I was very young anything would do  ;D

Favourite drink from our youth....for me it was a Bloody Mary.....ooo loads of ice.

Oh those were the days.

Mrs Brown

Mrs Brown

Peacegirl

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2017, 05:52:04 PM »

I just don't tolerate spirits at all.....and I really could at one point.

I've discovered they don't taste as nice coming up as they do going down  ::) ;D

I do like my not so expensive red wine though.

Babycham used to be a favourite a few decades ago.

Mind you when I was very young anything would do  ;D

Favourite drink from our youth....for me it was a Bloody Mary.....ooo loads of ice.

Oh those were the days.

Mrs Brown

Mrs Brown

😄😄😄👏🏽

wombat62

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2017, 10:47:09 PM »

I seem to have fallen into this camp as well  :'( It started around 3-4 years ago, would drink red wine and feel fine but the moment I laid down I'd feel sick and end up being sick during the night. Thought it was a one off but then started to get disturbed nights etc. A few weeks ago I had a glass of red quite late with dinner whilst out and the minute I laid down the sick feeling started then coupled with an upset stomach - great!

I've found I can have a glass during the day or around 6ish and I'm okay but leaving it any later then it's hit and miss as to whether it will affect me.

I've been daring the last couple of weeks and had 2 glasses of bubbles in one evening and touch wood have been okay with that, again, drink them early in the evening. I seem to fair much better with spirits so must be something in the red wine, which is a shame as I love it!

A few of my slightly younger friends have started to report some issues with certain red wines so must be something to do with our bodies changing....awesome, can't even drink away our meno sorrows now!

I don't tend to drink much now after the gallbladder issues as I'm quite protective of my liver now, don't want to upset him! One doctor told me that because I'd had pancreatitis with a gallstone attack I should never drink again  :o

As you say, at least we are all cheap dates now  ;D

Pages: [1] 2