Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: mirena coil and menopause  (Read 9014 times)

allybally

mirena coil and menopause
« on: June 21, 2017, 01:01:28 PM »

I am nearly 53, I had the mirena coil fitted about a year and a half ago due to very heavy and constant bleeding.There is no contraceptive element as was sterilised years ago.
I get no bleeding at all now, but used to still get Pms symtoms i.e, sore swollen breasts, over emotional etc.I don't get these anymore but now think I may be menopausal as feel my body chemistry is changing, I haven't had any flushes but have spotty skin( never had it in my life), dry hair, lack energy, have days on end of low mood, irritability and lack of interest , then will have random days of feeling " normal" again.I also feel like I am incapable of retaining a thought in my brain and have become very forgetful.
I have read conflicting advice re mirena coil/menopause, some advocate keeping it in to alleviate menopausal symptoms, while others advise having it removed as the progesterone coupled with lack of oestrogen could be making things worse.I would appreciate any thoughts and advice, also on any supplements to help, I take Vit B complex and sometimes St Johns Wort in the winter months as also get Seasonal Affective Disorder, I eat a reasonably healthy diet, drink moderately, am not overweight, don't do much excercise apart from walking at weekends as I work fulltime, on my feet all day, knackered by time I get home.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: mirena coil and menopause
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2017, 01:04:14 PM »

:welcomemm:

I am sure someone will be around, browse round - make notes, maybe use the search button to put 'mirena' in and see what comes up?

allybally

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2017, 01:29:27 PM »

thanks, lots of good info on here, so glad I found this website!

Tinkerbell

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2017, 04:14:27 PM »

I have read that having a Mirena post menopause can over thin the womb lining and causing it to ulcerated if not adding estrogen.
Although I guess you don't know where you are...peri or post.

Tinkerbell

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2017, 04:18:30 PM »

The Mirena/progesterone won't do anything to relieve menopause symptoms.
It's only use is to control bleeding and womb thickening.
If you get on with your Mirena you could add in some estrogen...either Estradot or Estrogel and see if it makes any improvement.

allybally

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2017, 04:37:34 PM »

thanks

elsie001

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2017, 03:13:39 PM »

Hi allybally, I'm in a very similar situation to you - am 51, had coil fitted 1.5 years ago for heavy bleeding, flooding, insomnia. I don't use any additional oestrogen and am not bothered by hot flushes....yet!

Never really considered where I may be in the meno journey until recently, when my GP took a vaginal swab following a uti which was being stubborn.  She commented that I was looking a bit menopausal 'down there' and prescribed vagifem which, I must admit, is definitely making things more comfortable!

It did make me question whether I should really still need the coil or not.  I get a ridiculous number of headaches which I think might be related to the coil but am scared to remove it in case the heavy periods & insomnia come flooding ('scuse the pun!) back. 

dahliagirl

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2017, 03:26:11 PM »

It might be worth asking to try a patch or gel with it to see if it helps, before going down the road of having it out.  They are good for 4 years as the progestogen part of hrt.

They cost about £80, so probably financially worthwhile to try the oestrogen as well  ;)

allybally

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2017, 05:19:25 PM »

been to docs and she has given me Elleste Solo 1mg so will see if it helps although after reading the drug info that came in the packet, am a bit dubious of taking it......

dahliagirl

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2017, 08:36:40 PM »

The information leaflets are scary - they are all the same - including the vagifem which is the equivalent of 1 hrt tablet a year  ::)

1mg is low dose.  It is replacing what you had before (or a little bit of it anyway).  A lot of people find they need more.  I found I felt a bit 'funny' the first week and then it was fine, then I needed 2mg.

Hope it goes well for you.  :)

Mary G

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2017, 12:33:26 PM »

allybally, I had a Mirena coil without enough oestrogen and it was bad, bad news.  It caused over thinning of the womb and intense vaginal irritation.  I found the synthetic progesterone in the coil very strong and needed a very high dose of oestrogen to stop it becoming over dominant.

I hope you new medication works but don't hesitate to ask for a higher dose if you need it. 

Hurdity

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2017, 04:13:51 PM »

Hi allybally - don't be nervous of taking it! It's difficult to know where you are in menopause as you have a mirena coil and also as you are not having flushes - but a low dose oestrogen to start with could be just what you need at this point! Do give it a try and hopefully you will soon feel much better? As the others have said there are higher doses if you need to increase and other methods of getting it like patches or gel - but don't be in a hurry to chop and change too quickly - give it 3 months at first and see how you feel.

Good luck and keep us posted :)

Hurdity x

allybally

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2017, 02:03:31 PM »

update!
Have been taking 1mg of elleste since July.
Positives: aching legs have totally vanished!
               memory and concentration have improved
               spotty skin has improved
               dry hair has improved

I still have absolutely no desire or interest in sex, low moods but less than before and wake up early hours with brain overdrive, fall asleep after a few hours and have horrible anxiety dreams before alarm goes off. 
I have just been to Docs for follow up appt, unfortunately my doc was off sick and had male doc who I felt was unsympathetic and dismissive, however he has upped the dosage to 2mg which am hoping will help........

Hurdity

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2017, 07:57:42 PM »

Hey there allybally - glad you are seeing an improvement - and hope you continue to do so. Oral oestrogen is not the best for libido as it reduces free testosterone in the body - so if you specifically want to improve this then I suggest trying patches or gel instead. However some women do find that if the oestrogen dose is high enough libido can be improved - but something to think about in future if this doesn't do the trick.

Hurdity x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2019, 06:33:13 PM »

Bounced for new Member