Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Horse and dog racing  (Read 5610 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Horse and dog racing
« on: June 21, 2017, 10:38:38 AM »

Does anyone feel that, in these exceptional temperatures, that it is cruel to put horses and dogs into races?   They wouldn't dash around in 'the wild'  :-\ and I think it's high time that Queenie made a decision on behalf of the horses that she is supposed to 'love' and suggest that they are kept in the cool!

CLKD

Re: Horse and dog racing
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2017, 10:42:27 AM »

That was scary  :o  ??? ....... cool flannels along the body can help revive a pooch who has had too much sun.

If I were the horse I would sit down so that the jockey slides ;D  off in fact 1 well known horse did that as he was being led out into the Parade Ring .......

Mbrown001

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2017, 11:06:13 AM »

I agree too. .....but there is too much money involved and it would seem that is the most important thing  >:(

My little old dog doesn't like the heat either and as for those leaving them in cars  :kick:

Mrs Brown

Greyhoundgal

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2017, 12:11:59 PM »

It is but I happen to know for a fact that the trainer we get our greyhounds from doesn't race his dogs in this sort of weather.  He also makes sure they have coats on if they have to go outside in the winter which is more than a lot of them do!
Our little girly isn't doing too badly in the heat - I've been leaving the curtains closed at the front of the house to keep the lounge cool and she has a cool coat for if she really overheats.  Been walking her at 6am and around 9pm this past week though to try and avoid the worst of it.... 8)

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2017, 12:45:59 PM »

I think it's down to money too  :-\ ...........

Mbrown001

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2017, 01:23:59 PM »

The Queens at the racing and not visiting hubby.

Strange crowd the Royals when it comes to that kind of thing. You would think she would be there with the grapes and the Lucozade  ;D

Mrs Brown

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2017, 03:46:39 PM »

Oh she'll have someone else to do the grapes and Lucozade run ..........

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2017, 04:01:46 PM »

Of turn it over them  :-\ ........... shouldn't give horses water immediately after work  :bang: :bang: :bang: they gets colic and quite honestly, I wouldn't want a Vet. that agreed to horses racing in this heat looking after my Account!

Taz2

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2017, 04:45:50 PM »

The Huffington Post ran an article on this yesterday - it's not only the high temperatures which are bad for the horses but the extremely hard ground http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/royal-ascot-weather-2017-safety-concerns-horses-running-races_uk_59490e39e4b07499199e72e8

Taz x

breeze

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2017, 05:11:06 PM »

Don't horses originated from hot countries anyway?

Will have to Google that one.

As for dogs, a few days with out a walk will do no harm.

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2017, 07:46:48 PM »

Race horses have little choice unless they lay down and roll on the jockey, which I have seen done to a rider many years ago: stallion wasn't going out in the rain so he ........  :-X.  The very petite lady rider jumped off in time.   Saddle was ruined.

So if owners feel that their horses should run then .......... lack of consideration and I think cruel.  I wonder how much clout the Vets actually have  :-\

Taz2

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2017, 07:51:28 PM »

I was wondering - how do they cope when they are flown out to Saudi to race?

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2017, 07:55:53 PM »

I think that they race in the dark under flood light when it's cooler anyway.  It may also be a different type of heat, i.e. drier.  Regardless, they are being forced to race whereas in the wild if they need to run they would do; otherwise they rest under trees, usually with one hoof rested standing head to tail in order to get rid of flies  ::)

The Arabs in particular value their Stallions, Saluki and birds of prey ........ think grey horses with flowing manes and tails  :-*