Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Post meno bleeds on Elleste Duet Conti.  (Read 3853 times)

Chl123

Post meno bleeds on Elleste Duet Conti.
« on: July 13, 2017, 05:00:41 PM »

I have taken elleste duet conti for about 10 years now. The first five or six years were great with no problems but in the last few years I have had periodic bleeds. They come and go and I don't know the reason why. About twice a year I have  a heavier one with clots which lasts a few days and then disappears. Other than the annoying inconvenience of these bleeds I am fine, energetic, sleep well and maintain a normal weight. I have read a lot about post menopausal bleeding where some people blame fluctuating hormones and others diet and stress. Some times I have read that there is no reason for PMB, it just happens to some people. It is true that I do respond to stress and have had quite a lot to deal with during the last few years. Things are fine now but I am wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience on this hrt.  and would be grateful for any advice or sharing of experience. I should add that I do realise that combined hrt should avoid this. Perhaps I need an adjustment?

Nickyp

Re: Post meno bleeds on Elleste Duet Conti.
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 08:51:15 PM »

I hVe been taking the same hrt for 18 months. In that time I have had 2 episodes of spotting. I am having a scan next week to rule out any nasties. It wasn't unti, recently that someone said that stress can have an effect on hrt, both times I have had the spotting have been quite stressful times, so I'm hoping it's just that.  Might be worth having it checked out with your doc as from what I understand no post meno billed img is normal, although there are loads of reasons for it.

Chl123

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 09:26:29 AM »

Thanks for your reply Nickyp. I have had more than spotting but some very stressful times in the last few years. I hope all goes well for you and would be very interested to hear how your scan goes. I know that fibroids also cause heavier bleeding and wondered if I had any.

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2017, 04:03:46 PM »

Hi Chl123

:welcomemm:

It depends where in menopause you were when you started HRT - but assuming you are post-menopausal, as you are on a continuous combined HRT which is designed to prevent bleeds ( in post-menopause) then you should get this checked out just in case, as you say, there are other problems like fibroids which could be causing this bleeding.

It could just be that your absorption of the tablet HRT is very variable leading to inconsistencies in dose - hence the bleeding?

If the balance between oestrogen and progestogen is wrong then your lining could build up and if it overthickens then this could cause irregular bleeding and could eventually lead to endometrial cancer if left unchecked (ie if the lining thickens too much and is not shed sufficiently).

You haven't said how old you are and whether you were at menopause when you started HRT?

Hurdity x

Chl123

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2017, 04:27:57 PM »

Thanks for your helpful reply Hurdity. I am 68 years old and was prescribed elleste duet conti  by my gp after the menopause had occurred (about a year I think). I have been on it for about 11 years. I had absolutely no problems until a few years ago following some very stressful situations which are now thankfully behind me. I have read a lot of info. on this forum which has made me think that perhaps I should change to a cyclical HRT (I intend to use it for as long as possible) At least that way I could control the bleeding.

Does anyone have any suggestions which cyclical HRT would be good to try. I know that people have different experiences with all of them but some suggestions would really help :)

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2017, 07:10:39 AM »

Yes several of us continue with cyclical HRT even in our 60's eother because of bleeding or because of the effects of continuous progestogen - which either affect us or we feel there may be more risks associated with its use than if taken cyclically.

I am mid 60's and do this. I use Estradot (50mcg) along with utrogestan ( micronised progesterone) vaginally on a 6-8 week cycle. The long cycle is sanctioned by my GP but vaginal use is not licensed in UK - although it's the same stuff!

You could also take the cyclical form of your HRT ie Evorel sequi - but first PLEASE go and get checked out on account of your ongoing bleeding problems and your age - there is simply no point in taking the risk and if your lining has thickened (but is still normal) then it can easily be dealt with through a course of a progestogen if the doc deems necessary.

Hurdity x

Chl123

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2017, 10:42:28 AM »

Thanks Hurdity. I am about to make an appointment with a private menopause clinic for a detailed discussion about which is the best HRT for me a this stage. My gp was fine to begin with but he and the practice nurse I saw for repeat prescriptions were more interested in getting me off HRT to save money. I found them more than unhelpful. This hopefully should be a more productive exercise.

Fortysomethibg

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2017, 11:22:18 AM »

Just came across this post, very interesting, I am suffering terribly with muscle aches and joint pain.

How much magnesium is it recommended to take?  Might pop to Holland and Barratt to buy some today.

Thanks

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2017, 05:16:45 PM »

:-\ magnesium ?? Wrong thread maybe?

Hurdity x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2017, 06:04:52 PM »

:bounce: for new member