Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What book are you reading?  (Read 7460 times)

nearly50

What book are you reading?
« on: June 15, 2017, 07:29:53 PM »

I'm reading Naomi Alderman, The Power whigh recently won the Bailey's prize. Pretty good so far and a good tie in for watching the Handmaid's Tale. I'm a librarian so usually reading for   work purposes, so good to get something I like.

babyjane

Re: What book are you reading?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2017, 07:43:31 PM »

I miss reading, I find it difficult as I have a cataract.  Large type doesn't help either as the loss of focus cuts across the page at a certain angle and I have to keep moving the book.  It is no longer satisfactory.

Do you read traditional books or do you use an e reader like a kindle.

dazned

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2017, 07:48:26 PM »

I loved the Handmaids Tale,studied it for A level. I'm recording the current tv adaptation.
At present I'm reading Not read yet,the Phil Collins autobiography.

nearly50

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2017, 08:05:12 PM »

I miss reading, I find it difficult as I have a cataract.  Large type doesn't help either as the loss of focus cuts across the page at a certain angle and I have to keep moving the book.  It is no longer satisfactory.

Do you read traditional books or do you use an e reader like a kindle.

Bit of both but reading The Power on Kindle app on my phone and tablet.have you tried audio books? Most public libraries offer them online now

nearly50

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2017, 08:06:06 PM »

I loved the Handmaids Tale,studied it for A level. I'm recording the current tv adaptation.
At present I'm reading Not read yet,the Phil Collins autobiography.

One of my favourite books, might do another thread on  favourite books another time

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2017, 08:07:26 PM »

I think we have several threads on books already ..........

I'm reading a book about the Hedge which was built across India by the English ........

cubagirl

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2017, 10:00:31 PM »

I'm reading "Lion" by Saroo Brierley. I like reading biographical type books, although fiction is great too. Passed on "Hurrah for Gin" to daughter, gave me a few giggles.  ;D

MicheleMaBelle

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2017, 10:10:57 PM »

Can't concentrate. It's me...not the name of a book :(

Elizabethrose

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2017, 11:28:20 PM »

Lovely thread nearly50.

Oh I love to read it's my favourite thing. Always books for me not Kindles or any such stuff. My hubby calls me a troglodyte but my daughter has a passion for books too and totally understands where I'm coming from. There is something totally magical about the smell, feel and weight of a good book in your hands.

Four on the go at the moment which is not unusual for me, I dip in depending on my situation and mood, two are non fiction, the other two fiction. The French Intifada - the long war between France and its Arabs by Andrew Hussey. Blood River A journey to Africa's broken heart, by Tim Butcher. Those who leave and those who stay, book 3 in the Elana Ferrante Neapolitan novels. And lastly Charlotte by David Foenkinos which my daughter has just sent me over and is keen to discuss with me.

babyjane

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2017, 08:03:27 AM »

well I am also a troglodyte then as I dislike technology in all its forms but realise that to exist in the world today some of it is necessary (like access to this forum)  :)

coldethyl

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2017, 08:42:38 AM »

Just finished that Mad Girl one. Read that as a proper book. Now onto some more non fiction- Michael Mosely's Gut diet book which I've whizzed through in paper format and the slightly more complex The Diet Complex by Tim Spector on Kindle. I read in mixture of formats - sometimes I find book print tiny despite my glasses ( probably need new ones!) and I also like having books just there on my iPad when I go out as I'm a fast reader and can whizz through a book on a train journey and be left with nothing to read.

Tempest

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2017, 09:09:58 AM »

I'm just waiting to take delivery of a book from Amazon titled 'You Are The Placebo'. It takes a scientific look at how the placebo effect is often as powerful as drug treatments (even in drug trials - some drug companies have had a slap for not revealing this. Particularly with some antidepressants), as well as individual's beliefs about their own wellness.

It'll be an interesting read, if nothing else! It also covers how healing comes a lot from the mind, and there is a meditation exercise included. I'll give anything a go, me!

I'm sticking a link to the companion website if any of you want to read more (hope this ok Emma - if not, please remove it):

http://www.youaretheplacebo.com/

« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 09:25:13 AM by Tempest »

coldethyl

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2017, 09:24:46 AM »

I'm just waiting to take delivery of a book from Amazon titled 'You Are The Placebo'. It takes a scientific look at how the placebo effect is often as powerful as drug treatments (even in drug trials - some drug companies have had a slap for not revealing this. Particularly with some antidepressants), as well as individual's beliefs about their own wellness.

It'll be an interesting read, if nothing else! It also covers how healing comes a lot from the mind, and there is a meditation exercise included. I'll give anything a go, me!

Sounds fascinating- was reading newspaper article about placebo affect in certain kinds of surgery- things like surgery for chronic back pain , shoulder issues- seems a lot of the benefit is just that patient thinks it will help- suggests to me what is needed for many ailments is a more holistic approach with a lot of doctor /patient time given- I'm currently having to go to see my practice nurse every day as one of my Clexane injection sites formed an abscess due to blunt needle trauma and she's lovely and chatty and keeps saying I'm doing well with everything and that they'll see me for as long as it takes to mend- I now am not worried by the hole in my belly as much as I know someone is actually keeping an eye on me. Got to be more cost effective in long term rather than me being anxious, having loads of appts with dr etc.

Salad

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2017, 09:28:01 AM »

Love reading if audio books count  :D

Started listening to books when insomnia was an issue pre-HRT days and now I've carried on as I love being tucked down in the dark listening.
Equally love plugging in the earphones at the gym to block out their choice of music and especially on holiday so I can shut my eyes in the bright sunshine - perfect!

A friend recommended Jeffery Archer - I've just finished the second Clifton Chronicles book and look forward to going on to the next.

Tempest

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2017, 09:28:19 AM »

Oh gosh, Coldethyl! I do hope your abscess heals soon! How are you doing otherwise these days?

I've just added a link to the companion website if you want to read more. (Not sure if it's ok, so Emma might remove it).

Sending you biggest hugs! xxxxx
Pages: [1] 2