Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: London fire  (Read 15577 times)

breeze

London fire
« on: June 14, 2017, 06:00:21 AM »

Such terrible news this morning.

My heart goes out to all those affected. Praying that the casualties are lower than expected.  :'(

Claireylou

Re: London fire
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 06:56:36 AM »

This is so awful. Those poor, poor people  :'(

I just hope it doesn't collapse completely and cause even more damage and casualties  :(

My heart goes out to them xxx

cubagirl

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 07:49:44 AM »

Doubt it'll stay up for much longer. Metal inside will eventually buckle. So many injuries & fatalities. Still flames shooting out of some windows. Why no alarms?

Kathleen

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2017, 08:13:20 AM »

Hello ladies.

I lived in a London tower block for a while and I always wondered what would happen  if there was a fire.

Tragic news and my heart goes out to everyone affected.

Take care everyone.

K.

Two hoots

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2017, 08:17:56 AM »

It's terrifying to watch the pictures in the news, how brave are the fire brigade to have to deal with that, god help all thoes involved.

babyjane

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2017, 08:52:16 AM »

The images seemed to come straight from 'The Towering Inferno'.  I used to like that film, it never entered my head that it could ever be a reality and yet here it is.  The words that I have found worst this morning so far is the report of a young mother holding her toddler out of the window so he could breathe.  Goodness only knows what became of them  :'(.

I cannot get my head round how an accidental fire in one flat could lead to that  :o.  As it was recently refurbished I doubt it could have been down to a wiring fault.

I hope fervently it is not a deliberate act again  :'(

Mbrown001

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2017, 09:20:02 AM »

Horrific  :'(

Mrs Brown

babyjane

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2017, 02:11:20 PM »

me too Sparkle, and I sincerely hope the company doing the refurb did not cut corners.

When it was on earlier at my friend's house there was some mention that the exterior cladding may not havebeen as fireproof as they said as you could see melted bits of it dropping off as the fire raged.

This doesn't bear thinking about and I am sure it will all come out in time. Meanwhile more lives have been lost and ruined and it is beyond sad  :'(

Kathleen

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2017, 03:52:43 PM »

Hello again ladies.

Talking of possibly cutting corners we had a friend in the construction industry who told us an interesting tale a long time ago. He was supervising a site as some large, custom made bricks were being delivered. The specification stated that each brick needed to have a steel mesh within it to act as reinforcement. Someone on site accidentally dropped one of the bricks and as it cracked open it was clear that no such reinforcement had been included. It seems the manufacturer had been paid extra for the steel but as this hadn't been incorporated the payment would be profit!

The residents association for the block have been  posting complaints about the management of the flats for months now, it's all online and makes for very depressing reading.

Wishing everyone well.

K.

babyjane

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2017, 04:17:34 PM »

you are right and it seems it could be down to the cladding on the outside igniting and spreading the fire - horrific.  Heads must roll for this  >:(

nearly50

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2017, 04:53:03 PM »

Makes me so angry reading the article in the Independent which said the cladding was added to make the block more attractive looking for those living in the expensive properties nearby.

“Due to its height the tower is visible from the adjacent Avondale Conservation Area to the south and the Ladbroke Conservation Area to the east,” a planning document for the regeneration work reads. “The changes to the existing tower will improve its appearance especially when viewed from the surrounding area.”

Mbrown001

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2017, 07:31:18 PM »

Look at the amount of schools in Scotland that were closed after a wall collapsed. The bricks hadn't been tied in. A basic building regulation.

I worked for a house builder for many many years and I saw what went on. Beggared belief at times and I was ashamed at the corners that were cut.

I feel so sorry for those affected by this tragedy. Lives lost and others changed forever.

If it was cost cutting then I would take those responsible and.......well I can't actually say as its really not nice.

Mrs Brown

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2017, 09:06:32 PM »

I wonder why the Fire Services don't look at high rise buildings and consider if they can/not get the hoses and rescue equipment as high as necessary?  They could then go to the Local Auorities/Land Owners and tell them it will be Corporate Manslaughter if residents are seen to be at risk.

Apparently the fire escapes are metal so too hot to stand on. 

cubagirl

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2017, 09:36:58 PM »

Still burning after nearly 24 hours. Several high flats up near us have just had outside cladding redone. Hope corners haven't been cut!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2017, 10:05:15 PM »

It doesn't seem like 'we' have learned a lot despite 9/11  :'(.  As we drive through out the UK we see newly installed double glazing units particularly in rows of terraced houses where it is obvious that people would be unable to escape from.  As building regs./planning consent should be sought for new windows how do Companies get 'away' with installing such obvious hazards?

I heard earlier that the fire may have been funnelled between the new cladding and the building walls, like a chimney draws air  :-\.  Awful for all concerned.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4