Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Too much HRT or too little@  (Read 2001 times)

Minny

Too much HRT or too little@
« on: June 10, 2017, 09:08:01 AM »

Hi,
Can anyone tell me why I am not having a bleed every month?

I have now not had a period for 3 months.  I am currently on 1mg of Sandrena gel and 200mg of Utrogestan for 10 days.  I don't know if I should be on more Oestrogen or more Progesterone.

Symptom wise I am lacking energy and motivation (but that could just be me)  I am suffering a lot of aches and pains, not too bad on the flushing front.

I have just had my smear which was clear.  My nurse said I should be having a regular period but couldn't offer any advise!  So here I am.

Thanks in advance

Minny

Ps  I feel like I have PMT symptoms

Hurdity

Re: Too much HRT or too little@
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2017, 10:07:18 PM »

According to the info on this site 15% of women do not experience a bleed on cyclical HRT and this would be more likely on low doses of oestrogen and also if you are post-menopausal.

If you don't get a bleed it usually just means that the progesterone is doing its job in protecting the lining ( as you are taking more or less the licensed dose). If you are still experiencing flushes and sweats then you might benefit from an increased dose of oestrogen - say 1.5 sachets (which would give the same amount as the standard 2 pumps of oestrogel which is usually the starting dose).

Hurdity x

Minny

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2017, 08:40:36 AM »

Thank you Stellajane  & Hurdity for your replies.

Before I went on HRT back in Feb 2016 I hadn't had a period for about 4 months and the first day of HRT I had a period.  It took a bit of sorting out but I did start having periods again monthly which I find quite reassuring as I feel like I know where I am at more if that makes sense.

So Hurdity do you think it's because I am taking too much Progesterone or not enough Oestrogen that I am not having a bleed?  I started taking more in the hope of making a bleed come on! 

I have only been on the 1mg of Sandrena gel for a month before that I was on 0.5mg estradot.  Maybe my body just need to adjust again.

Thanks again for the replies
Minny

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2017, 09:20:11 AM »

You don't need a bleed! Not bleeding does not mean that you are not getting enough oestrogen - you can determine this according to how you feel - flushes, sweats, mood etc - not by the bleed. If you feel OK on the progesterone phase then it's fine to carry on as you are. If it continues like this (no bleed) for some months, then your doc might suggest changing to continuous combined HRT (if you are happy to remain on continuous progesterone). Alternatively you might think of going to a longer cycle ( increasing the interval between the progesterone cycles) under supervision of your doc and if you are post-menopause.

Hurdity x

Minny

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2017, 10:30:14 AM »

Thanks Hurdity that has put my mind at rest.  I will just monitor how I get on then

Minny
x