Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: If you saw hair shedding from mirena, when did it start....?  (Read 1402 times)

Noheroicsplease

Sorry. I'm boring myself with these mirena/hair anxieties, but I'm trying to get a grip on whether it's the coil or low ferritin. My ferritin isn't as low as it was last time I had a very bad hair shedding incident (two years ago) but it's not as good as it could be.

I'm almost 6 months into using the coil.

Sorry to be such a yawn! Thanks

Tinkerbell

Re: If you saw hair shedding from mirena, when did it start....?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 10:05:44 AM »

I have had the Mirena a year now, I add Estrogel to the mix!
Since then my hair has got thicker and less greasy, not sure if it is the added oestrogen that is doing that.
A few years ago I had very low Ferratin levels and my hair got very thin always blocking the shower plug holes!

Noheroicsplease

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 10:13:22 AM »

Hi Tinkerbell

Thanks a lot. Yes, I use estrogel too.

I'm hoping it's the ferritin. I'm taking lots of iron...

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2017, 12:01:03 PM »

I think our hair is a problem as it seems to define us.  Maybe ask for your Ferriton to be checked again? 

Dmt

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2017, 12:16:05 PM »

I had a short & horrible experience with the Mirena coil 2 years ago. I was told by my GP that this was going to solve all of my peri-menopausal problems and also provide contraception. I had the coil insrted around the end of November and was given estrodial to take. Within 1 week, my hair started falling out, I bloated terribly, including my face and became so depressed, almost suicidal! After Christmas I went to a family planning clinic and had it removed. I stopped taking the estrodial at the same time, although I had taken this before, when I was given prempak C. When taking the he estrogen part I felt great, but the progesterone bit floored me. Anyway, thats was ages ago and it has been a long journey, but I am finally there. I am progesterone intollerent so am using Ugestan 4 times a year for 10 days only. I am also using Progynova 1 tab morning & night and same with estrogen gel. My husband knows exactly when I am using the progesterone, but at least its only 4 times a year and not every month  ;D

nearly50

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2017, 12:46:02 PM »

My ferritin level was 10 this time last year and is now 55 or so. The difference in my hair is really very striking. I don't shed half as much and it is in far better condition. I do lose more hair in the run up to my period though, so I suppose I could've moved on to a new stage in this journey and it is a coincidence.