Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Patches falling off  (Read 41693 times)

Susan rees

Patches falling off
« on: June 05, 2017, 12:00:51 PM »

Any advice on how to stop patches falling off. Also how to stop irritation.Had to go back to patches that worked so well with symptoms, but some wouldn't stay on, tablets were a backwards step. Help please.

Taz2

Re: Patches falling off
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 01:16:25 PM »

Hi Susan - welcome to the forum.

Lots of us have had problems with patches falling off - usually FemSeven - and it is important to follow the application directions. Holding them down for the specified time period with a warm palm can help. Mine always came unstuck a bit though. Some people resort to sticking them down with surgical tape but as the hormones are in the adhesive this means that you probably wouldn't get the full dose.

Irritation is more difficult to sort. It shows that you are allergic to the adhesive in the product. Different types of patches have different adhesives so it may be worth trying a different one. If this doesn't work then you have the option of oestrogen gel and a separate progesterone (if you still have your womb) if you don't want to take tablets.

Have a good look around the site and others posts for more advice. You might like to introduce yourself under New Members which will probably get you more replies?

Taz x  :welcomemm:

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 01:22:55 PM »

Hi Susan rees

:welcomemm: from me too!

I agree with Taz - I am a long term patch user too! Just to add that I use Estradot (oestrogen only ) patches and they are very small so less skin contact to set up irritation. I have sensitive skin and I made a rule never to scratch the patch area! If I can feel it itching a  try to scratch near the patch but not actually on it, if I really have to.  Also peel them off very slowly when changing patch. I also find they stick really well although at least daily I have a feel of the area where the patch is stuck to make sure it is still stuck firmly and to press down any areas that might be slightly unstuck. Also always stick them to butt cheeks (covered with nix - don't do the thong thing nor Brazilian - otherwise they might rub off!). Take jeans down carefully ( don't slither them down as I have slithered the patch off sometimes). Also probably not a good idea to have too many long baths as they can come unstuck more easily, and also in very hot weather be a bit more vigilant. In case this puts you off - I've been using them happily for 10 years!

Hurdity x

Yorkshire Girl

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2017, 04:28:39 PM »

Hi Susan I'm using Estradiol patches & they certainly stick, I actually have had trouble removing them, downside is they leave residue on skin but baby oil gets it off.  They are quite large, if I'm right Estradot is smaller, but like Hurdity I place mine on my butt!

Salad

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 06:09:15 PM »

Another patch user  :D
It definitely seems to be a case of trial and error to see what suits you.
I found Evorel were my worst for sticking and estraderm the itchiest. I liked Femseven but changed them every five days as the edges tended to peel up from then.
I'm now using Estradot and they are a much smaller, more rubbery plastic that stick really well.

I had absorption issues so my GP recommended changing from putting the patch on my butt cheek to my lower tummy - I tend to put it near my hip bone.

Good luck  :)

Butterfly22

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2017, 08:15:41 AM »

I did try Femseven but spent most the time looking in the house where it had come off, I did read and try about warming the patch up first with a hair dryer, it stuck a bit better but after two days it would come off, I'm a sweaty Betty though so put it down to this to xx

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2017, 08:20:40 AM »

Yorkshire Girl - which type of patches do you use? You say estradiol but all the patches contain this type of oestrogen - maybe you mean Evorel - as these are quite large!

Susan rees - hope you manage to sort it soon and you get the patches to stick - and if not try a different location or a different type as suggested.

Hurdity x

Yorkshire Girl

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2017, 08:44:55 PM »

Hurdity sorry was meant to put Everol!! Blame the predictive words!

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2017, 11:13:34 AM »

:)

Hurdity x

LJB12

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2019, 08:38:20 PM »

I'm struggling with patches falling off now I have stated swimming. They don't last a swim session. Any ideas??

Katejo

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2019, 09:14:37 PM »

Another patch user  :D
It definitely seems to be a case of trial and error to see what suits you.
I found Evorel were my worst for sticking and estraderm the itchiest. I liked Femseven but changed them every five days as the edges tended to peel up from then.
I'm now using Estradot and they are a much smaller, more rubbery plastic that stick really well.

I had absorption issues so my GP recommended changing from putting the patch on my butt cheek to my lower tummy - I tend to put it near my hip bone.

Good luck  :)
I also put the Evorel on my lower tummy by the hip. I did try it on the butt cheek but it came off very quickly. Once or twice I tried the upper thigh but that one fell off yesterday evening so I returned to the lower tummy. I switch sides (left/right hip) to reduce itching.

Yorkshire Girl

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2019, 03:31:44 PM »

I swim and my Everol patch stays on my butt cheek no problems, if anything they are difficult to remove! Are you using any creams, gels or anything before applying? If so don't apply anything to area you are putting patch.