Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Thyroid- I need your help  (Read 7453 times)

DaisyB

Thyroid- I need your help
« on: June 03, 2017, 05:20:52 PM »

hello girls
I posted a new thread in 'private lives' as I'm desperate for some reassurance and advice - if anyone has a minute could you read and leave a kind word of wisdom for me?

DaisyB xx

DaisyB

Re: Thyroid- I need your help
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2017, 09:26:18 PM »

:o Meant 'personal experiences'

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2017, 10:21:19 PM »

I thought that you had responses?

DaisyB

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2017, 10:33:27 PM »

Just the two CLKD - I'm out of my mind with worry - pins and needles and left hand bit slower as well as thumb jerking. Convincing myself it's not related to peri - my mind is feeling battered. Not sure what's going on - can't being myself to talk about it to anyone. My leg and arm are burning with pins and needles. Am desperately hoping someone with thyroid knowledge or with experience of same will respond.

DaisyB x

DaisyB

Re: Thyroid- help pins and needles and numbness
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2017, 08:35:34 AM »

Apologies if I have went about this the wrong way girls!!! I originally posted in the personal section, as I understood it isn't available to the public. I did that because I have started to realise that I am giving a lot of personal info that also involved my family.

CLKD - I hope that explains why I have posted twice?? I got two lovely and helpful replies - but was hoping for someone with same symptoms to reassure me that's it not more serious. My anxiety is telling me it's MS - and I don't say that to offend anyone - it's what I am feeling.
I woke this morning at 4am - pins and needles up and down arm and leg in left side. Forefinger numb. Reflex slower in terms of clumsiness. And thumb jerking like crazy. Anxiety off the scale.
The coil and estrogel seem to have settled other symptoms- but anxiety is dreadful and is focused on the current symptoms.

I'm due to return to work on a week and I don't know how I will manage.  mood is very low, anxiety very high, and I'm actually frightened to explain the latest symptoms in depth to GP incase she gives me an'look' and wants tests!!
I am getting chiropractor treatments - and this feeling of weakness on left side has been there since January along with everything else. But now pins and needles are constant and worse and i just wanted to share.
CLKD - please don't be offended by this but all I needed was a little comforting from ladies who have experienced the same ( if there are any) it wasn't helpful to question why I had posted twice -
I make no excuses but perhaps I am using this forum incorrectly - I'm new and on no other forums - and just recently discovered that certain sections are available to the public. That said I worried that my post would be missed by the majority - as I myself usually hop on and just check all things menopause if I'm pushed for time.
 Thank you

DaisyB x
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 10:29:05 AM by DaisyB »

DaisyB

Re: Pins and needles - numbness
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2017, 10:31:47 AM »

I've added pins and needles and numbness to title - in the hope that it resonates with some women on this forum. I've also searched previous posts and have found some threads of similar vein

Thank You

DaisyB xx

Megamind

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2017, 10:43:57 AM »

Yes there are lots of posts about pins and needles as i've looked them up myself!

I started with pins and needles in my hand and fingers then other problems. I thought it was coming from my neck. Got referred to physio who said it was tight muscles caused by my poor posture. He gave me exercises to do which i didn't bother with much then not long after it all disappeared.

When i looked on here it seemed quite a common thing in peri. Carpal tunnel syndrome is also common in peri.

Don't apologise for thinking MS but also don't be scared by it. I know 3 people with MS and they're all leading normal lives. There is a member on here with MS..Smokey?

I would say anxiety is maybe the cause. I have a family member with health anxiety. The mind is a powerful thing and it can make you experience symptoms. You are probably more anxious as you know you need to return to work soon.

Best thing is to go to your GP to seek reassurance.

DaisyB

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2017, 11:15:02 AM »

Sparkle and megamind thank you so much - crying reading this - am so scared.....

Feeling such a burden to my family so keeping most of it to myself. Felt like throwing myself out a window last night as my mind was in so much turmoil.

Thought the coil and gel had things under control then this raised its head.

Your words are a comfort and reassurance to me. I've PM'd couple of girls who specifically mentioned some of my symptoms- but I think the time has come to acknowledge I need help with the anxiety.....

Just when I felt I'd cracked it - it crept back up and knocked me off my feet. I agree about MS - but having spent 2 weeks with my dad in the neurological ward - out of my mind with worry about him - and seeing the suffering of others. I guess it didn't help xx

I really appreciate your kind and comforting words

DaisyB xx

Megamind

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2017, 12:39:16 PM »

I feel for you Daisy but from reading your posts, you have an awful lot going on at the moment and so it's no wonder you feel the way you do.

I always type my latest symptom in to the search box on here and it's always reassuring to know that others are experiencing the same thing. I am amazed at what can happen in Peri.

Two of my friends have had a shoulder problem in peri...I can't remember the name just now (possibly rotator cuff) but their arm started with pins and needles then kept going numb. They have both had operations on their shoulders and are OK now.

I think the fact you wake up with pins and needles etc has probably occurred from your sleeping position but then I would say the feeling triggers your anxiety and you 'feel' the sensations throughout the day but I would think this is your anxiey. I quite often wake up with pins and needles but once I shake my hand or hang it over side of bed it disappears. I also have had lots of odd tingling and sensations in peri. I did monitor it for a while and it always seemed to coincide with when my period was due.

I would go back to your GP and just explain how you are feeling and how you think it is effecting your family. Maybe just talking to the GP and getting reassurance about your pins and needles will help but if they offer you some tests then please don't be afraid of them. It will be much better to find out what is wrong but I really do think it's your anxiety creating it.

Keep posting and hopefully we can all support you x

Megamind

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2017, 12:44:59 PM »

Just googled 'twitching thumb'.

Twitches not caused by disease or disorders (benign twitches), often affecting the eyelids, calf, or thumb. These twitches are normal and quite common, and are often triggered by stress or anxiety. These twitches can come and go, and usually do not last for more than a few days.

Now I don't get a twitching thumb but I have had the twitching eyelid many a time and it's always when I'm stressed or over tired. I also get twitching calf muscles.

Regarding muscles twitches. It is one of the 34 symptoms of Peri Menopause. Have you seen this list before?

http://www.34-menopause-symptoms.com/

Look at No.31 and 33 x

Megamind

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2017, 12:50:27 PM »

Sparkle, I think we have spoken about this before but I also work at a keyboard and am terrible for leaning on my elbows and the hand hovering over the mouse seems to get effected either tingling in my palm or fingers. At home I use a laptop and tend to lean on my left elbow. I quite often get a numb feeling in my little finger plus the tingling or pain in the elbow or down the forearm. It does come and go though but I do put a lot of it down to my poor posture and the fact I do not sit correctly at my desk etc.

DaisyB

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2017, 04:10:49 PM »

Thank you sparkle and megamind. I've read the 33 symptoms - wondering if that explains my partial loss of taste and smell!! And a strange metalic smell?? Pins and needles are constant - a feeling like I've hit nettles only on one side - but I do feel a bit reassured by this info

Thank you kindly

DaisyB x

DaisyB

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2017, 09:53:25 PM »

Hi sparkle- just a quick update -  pins and needles easing off - just not as pronounced or strong as they were all night. Thumb stopped jerking and finger returned to normal. Still a feeling of clumsiness but def improved. Hopefully will keep heading in that direction. More importantly anxiety has eased and I wanted to say how grateful I am to all of you who responded because without a shadow of a doubt I would not be lying here in my own bed tonight if it wasn't for your help

DaisyB xxx

DaisyB

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2017, 10:17:35 PM »

Thank you sparkle - even just admitting to parents was a huge step as I have mostly been covering up most of the story by generalising. I've just used lavender on my tummy. I've pins and needles around wrists and in feet - but am telling myself that it's a big improvement and yes the deep breathing got me through last night - the panic was wakening me up - like a bolt of electricity running through me. I'll say it again - you guys are Genuinely worth your weight in gold. Will keep you posted.

DaisyB Xx

DaisyB

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2017, 05:48:28 AM »

Just felt good to be more open - off course they all know I'm unwell  as I've been off work - and I talk about the forum and menopause etc. But I normally don't speak about anxiety and specific symptoms- yesterday I told them all I felt so bad with it on Saturday evening I could have jumped out my window. My nature is to not bother and play down and often joke about it. That's because I feel like I am always sick and don't want them to think I'm a hypochondriac- but I've realised this week that it's ok to be unwell - and so what if I've been unwell for last few years! It's not my fault!
Pins and needles almost gone this morning - a jittery feeling lingering in my hand - and a feeling back to its slightly slower than my left hand - if that make sense?
Is there a technique to your calm breathing sparkle?? I've been doing 4-7-8 into my belly - Dr Weil is on Internet says it's great for panic etc

Thank you for the contact over the weekend - kept me sane :thankyou:
DaisyB xx
Pages: [1] 2