Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: mobile phones  (Read 7373 times)

clio

mobile phones
« on: February 24, 2012, 11:15:55 AM »

Hello ladies, can you help!!  Im wanting to change my mobile phone and cannot decide on which one to get.  The one I have at the moment is just a basic sony erricson but I fancy one of the new type.  I have a friend who swears by the iphone and another HTC phone.  I cannot justify paying a huge amount on the tarriff and although they give you the phone for free im only wanting to pay around £20 a month.  Im with 02 on a monthly contract so would like to stay with 02,  I would like a good camera, 2 - 300 minutes and unlimited texts plus 500mb data.  I have spoken to 02 and had a look on there website, but most of the info is alien to me so I woundered what phone the ladies on here have and can you recommend a good one.

changesbabe

Re: mobile phones
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 11:34:49 AM »

Hmm I too was with o2 and only paid around £20 a month -I also had a sony ericsson!  Last year I decided to upgrade my phone and did not want to change my tariff.  My girls have blackberry's but because i am going blind (and resist wearing my glasses!) I found the screen on the blackberry too small.   In the o2 shop the sales assistant let me have a play of the iphone - i am afraid that i was very quickly hooked.  The tarriff I am now on is £35 a month (I think I paid £80 towards the phone) - its funny how you quickly don't notice the increase in tarriff however what I want to say is that I have never looked back - i LUUVVVV my iphone - I am not sure I could go back to any other kind of phone either.  Everyone I know who has an iphone says the same.  It did take a wee while to get used to it as it is so different but really it was worth it as it can do so much.  Lots of people like the new blackberry's which have bigger screens and are touch screen too.  Good luck with your decision. xxx

Jellyb

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 11:35:18 AM »

Hi Clio,

I changed mine a few months ago to a new smart phone.  I got a HTC Widlfire S as it was smaller than most but had the large touch screen that I wanted.  It's very easy to use and to personalise how you want it to look/function.

I got mine through O2, it's around £19 per month on a 24 month contract which includes more texts & call time than I'm ever likely to use and also the "bolt on" of the minimum data usage which is about £3.

The only gripe with my decision is that the O2 signal is not great in all the places that I tend to go, so when my contract is up I'll be looking to move provider.

Hope this helps.

littleminnie

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 12:59:15 PM »

My son had a Blackberry and hated it, he changed to a HTC and loves it.
I have an iphone and think its wonderful. It is so easy to use.

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 01:09:43 PM »

My son had an HTC and hated it but loves his Blackberry. My other son loves his Galaxy and my third son still hasn't got a job so he has his ordinary Nokia - same as me.

OH has tried them all and got rid of them all after a few months but is now really happy with his Windows phone - he has had it for ages now (for him) My husband has just got an iphone4S after being a dinosaur for years but doesn't use it any differently to his old Ericsson.

I am no good with the qwerty keyboard touch screen ones as I like to text a lot and can text without looking on the normal keypad.  :D

Taz  :)

Joyce

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 04:29:59 PM »

I'm with o2 too.  I wanted an upgrade last year and got a smart phone, a google one (Alcatel) which I bought outright at £99.  Monthly I pay £13.50 for unlimited texts, 100mb of internet and 50 minutes.  It's one of those sim only type contracts.  I don't phone much from it so it was a perfect contract for me.  I have to say it took a while to get used to it, but I'm really liking it now.  Does all I need and probably more if I wanted it to.

clio

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 07:54:17 PM »

Thank you ladies for all your imput, im now the proud owner of the sony ericsson xperia, havn't a clue how to use it but the guy in the store was really helpful.  Going to hav a play with it over the weekend and anything im not sure on I can call into the store and they will help me.  The service was fantastic, he went through a whole lot of different phones so it was easy for me to chose as he based them on my requirements. 

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2017, 09:03:34 PM »

We needed to call Emergency Services earlier today but I didn't know how to phone from my mobile, anyone? Is it 111, 999, or .........  :-\

Annie0710

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2017, 09:24:17 PM »

I'd say 999?

Not that I've needed to thank god

Mbrown001

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2017, 09:43:50 PM »

Yep 999

What happened CLKD.

Even when I have little signal my mobile will be able to connect to the emergency services.

Mrs Brown

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2017, 02:21:10 PM »

A lady, obviously foreign, was walking along loaded with 2 plastic supermarket bags full of shopping but in the outside lane of a dual carriageway, we were driving towards the sun so many drivers had to swerve ......... we argued for the next 5 miles as I would have pulled into the next petrol station [which is 2 miles from where she was seen] but Himself kept driving  >:(.   :beat:  I did ask "without seeming to be picky, can you tell me why you didn't heed my need to pull over to phone for assistance, as I hate the thought of a driver going through trauma should he/she hit that woman" - still waiting for an answer.

Dorothy

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2017, 07:10:20 AM »

Wow!  Hope the lady was ok!

999 works from mobiles fine, I should know as I've had to call several times in the past couple of years - I seem to be the only person on the road who has good enough eyesight to see someone knocked off their bike, thrown from a horse etc, etc.  Bit worrying to think of so many short sighted motorists on the road, as of course, no one could see someone seriously injured and not stop to help, could they?!!! 

999 calls work even when there is little signal because mobile phone masts have to 'reserve' a certain amount of space for emergency calls - so even if the network is too busy to let you call other numbers, it is always worth trying.  I've got through to 999 when my phone didn't appear to have any signal at all!

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2017, 05:47:31 PM »

:thankyou:

I think that other drivers don't see accidents due to being on the 'phone/computer/putting on mascara  :-\