Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Question for ladies who suffer from allergic reactions  (Read 11914 times)

Mbrown001

Re: Question for ladies who suffer from allergic reactions
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2017, 06:26:41 PM »

Nothing unusual CLKD. It was a reaction to an acne cream that we got from the pharmacist.

Just going to have to be very careful in future.

Mrs Brown

Taz2

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2017, 06:37:55 PM »

Your daughter does need to be tested as Kiwi, banana or avocado allergies are linked to latex allergy which can be very serious.

Taz x

Elizabethrose

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2017, 06:38:30 PM »

Good that she's still improving Mrs B but disappointing no possibility of referral.

If you still have the packaging, check out the contents list and google, see if you are able to identify the likely irritant. The ingredients lists are usually ridiculous and unintelligible but when googled often come up as potential problems etc. What was the name of the product? Could you contact the manufacturer? I certainly would, anything's worth a try. Sometimes these people are quite helpful The customer service at Yes were utterly brilliant, suggested the ingredients that had probably irritated me and directed me away from some of their products.

Hopefully she'll continue to mend, I'll let you know some of the products I use, I have really really reactive skin, total nightmare! xx

Annie0710

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2017, 06:43:25 PM »

My last anaphylactic was to Movicol, pharmacist went through all the ingredients with me and none of my known allergens were listed.  Latex allergy is so confusing so I avoid any ingredient with 'gum' in it

Turns out after googling every ingredient it has to be the acacia tree, another one to add to my list so dr told me to yellow card it for other sufferers

I have a slightly swollen lip as I type, this is my atcleast once daily thing going on and no idea the cause

Mbrown001

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2017, 06:45:13 PM »

I agree Taz but they won't do it on the NHS . Not sure apart from going privately what we can do. She does have a mild kiwi intolerance ....as a child they made her lips and tongue tingle so she hadn't eaten them in years. She is fine with all other fruits though including bananas.

Elizabethrose, yes please send me a list of what you use.
I do have the packaging from what she used and it might be worth contacting the manufactures. Basically though it was two active ingredients I think which she will have to avoid like the plague.

Everything from now on that she puts on her skin is going to have to be chemical free. It's the best we can do I think.

Annie, it must make life so difficult for you.

Mrs Brown.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2017, 06:45:56 PM »

I wear an SOS bracelet with my allergies listed inside.  It is recognised World Wide.

Mbrown001

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2017, 07:11:40 PM »

I've just emailed the manufacturer so we will see what they say.

Mrs Brown

Dorothy

« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2017, 07:04:24 AM »

Glad your daughter is recovering but so sorry she isn't able to access further help via the NHS.  I hope you are able to find some resolution to the problem. 

Taz2

« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2017, 11:56:16 AM »

I bypassed the NHS and paid for a private consultation as the wait was too long. It wasn't too expensive and I got results really quickly.

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2017, 10:20:07 PM »

How is she looking this evening MrsB?

CaroleM

« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2017, 01:18:04 PM »

Mrs Brown,  I have total empathy with your daughter.  Mine started with a household flea spray and progressed from there.

You need to ask your GP for allergy testing at the hospital.  It can take sometime to get an appointment though. When it does, shower with ONLY water, no soaps, creams, anything else you can think of.  The process is having allergy causing substances put, normally on your back, to have small amounts of any suspicious substance put onto your body and marked with what the substance is. You cannot take a shower or bath for the time being.  Mine was started on a Monday, fairly normal day since the tests are done over 5 consecutive days.  On the Wednesday you go to see an allergy nurse who looks at any reactions and remarks the tests.  Body sweat and clothing can and probably will help to erase the markings. On the Friday the Consultant takes a good look.  Then you get your diagnosis.  Don't be surprised if you get multiple reactions.  I had 42 done, did wonder if it was going over board a bit, but I badly reacted to 17.

Re your daughter and anaphalxsis.  Does she now carry an epipen/  If not, demand that she has one via your GP.  My experience was thankfully when I was already in hospital.  Latex and I really loath each other!

Good luck

CLKD

« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2017, 01:24:33 PM »

I had the skin test years ago when I worked in a Hospital: 3 times in 2 years: and nowt showed up but I am aware that since then (1980s) I have developed a reaction to cat dander - in that I become snuffly and sneezy if I am in charge of cats, also if we keep the carpets well hoovered I am less likely to have the sneezes so dust mite features heavily  ::)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 01:40:34 PM by CLKD »

Annie0710

« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2017, 01:28:20 PM »

MY allergy testing was done in the clinic and monitored by a nurse whilst the consultant saw to other patients, I reacted immediately to the known allergens and also to ones I didn't know about. 

Also a few years before that my blood was tested for how severe my latex allergy was, even though I'd had numerous anaphylactic reactions previously, and that came out at the highest level too

Mbrown001

« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2017, 07:19:45 PM »

I've had the skin tests too.

The consultant told me he had never seen someone react to so many things that wasn't asthmatic.
I've never had asthma, but my skin, eyes and nose react to many things.

The GP was quite insistent that tests were not available on the NHS.

Mrs Brown

Annie0710

« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2017, 07:23:56 PM »

I think I said before on your thread that it took from age 21 when the reactions started to 44 before i was referred by nurse to NHS allergy clinic, I think they're few and far between
Pages: 1 [2] 3