Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Doggy woes....  (Read 6247 times)

Justjules

Doggy woes....
« on: May 31, 2017, 09:48:14 PM »

Just having a vent.... never been a dog person till our son got a spaniel pup 3 years ago and she's sort of become our life. My DH is obsessed with her and they are inseparable. We have her most if the time as son is out and about and even though he has his own place, lives here a lot as it's nearer at the moment for his business.  Anyway, he has been talking about breeding her for a while and possibly keeping one of the the pups. We weren't keen even though I know DH would secretly love another one. Anyway, basically, he's had her mated today apparently....she's not coming home tonight, staying at breeders, we weren't told and my DH has gone off the wall with anger and is inconsolable that she has been left at a strange house with someone she's never met and will be stressed  :'(. Are we being stupid? I'm so angry that he didn't even have the respect to tell us properly. If we fall out with him, he'll strop off home with her and then DH will be even more angry and upset. He's drowning his sorrows in the pub  >:(

cubagirl

Re: Doggy woes....
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 09:52:11 PM »

Just let the dust settle. It's your son's dog, so his responsibility. Would have been nice to have been informed, but he probably wasn't thinking just how upset your DH would be.

Justjules

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2017, 10:12:41 PM »

I know CG, I keep reminding him of that! Never thought you got these feelings over a dog.

MicheleMaBelle

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2017, 07:40:59 AM »

She's his baby so understably he's a bit upset and probably annoyed at your son for not keeping you in the loop. He should let it go, the dog is only away for a short time and if she breeds successfully just think of how much fun you'll have with the new puppy. X

breeze

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2017, 09:52:01 AM »

It's really not worth falling out with your son over this.  I'ts his dog and one night away will not do her any harm. 
Many dogs go into kennels for a week or more at a time.  Also if it's a proper breeder it would not be worth their reputation to let anything bad happen to her.

There is so much bad stuff happening in the world this really is a little thing.  We love our kids but have to accept they do not always do things our way.

Mbrown001

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2017, 10:20:21 AM »

The dog will be just fine. They have no sense of time at all so no worries there.
If you want to be part of the pregnancy then I wouldn't say anything.

How exciting for you all really. New pups are just lovely and because you look after the dog so much you can be the ones to spoil the mum to be.

Let us know how she is

Mrs Brown

Justjules

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2017, 03:11:57 PM »

Thanks ladies - she's still not home yet.  DH is still fuming.  I will be having words because it is him that will lose out if son takes dog away from him, which he does from time to time when they fall out!

MicheleMaBelle

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2017, 03:51:29 PM »

Maybe your son should take your husband away and leave the dog with you? Just saying... :scottie:

getting_old

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2017, 05:24:56 PM »

It's a bit odd that son didn't tell you what he was planning given how much you look after the dog, however maybe he thought it would be a nice surprise to tell you she was expecting and you could have one of the pups? Alternatively she may have come into season unexpectedly so it was arranged very quickly.
Is it her breeder that she's gone to stay with? If this is your son's (and your) first experience of breeding dogs then it will be very helpful to have the breeder's knowledge and expertise. It may be the case that she goes to stay with the breeder when the pups are due too.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2017, 08:41:02 PM »

I think it's strange that he didn't discuss this as you have so much involvement.  Will he expect you to look after any pups that don't get homes, in an ideal situation he should have potential owners lined up and vetted.  A bitch to be used for breeding should be fully tested, particularly as spaniels carry several bad illnesses ...... which require on-going Vet. treatment.  Also the owner of the bitch should have a health certificate from the Stud Dog's owner in case there are diseases present.

There are TOO many dogs in rescue for owners to breed without doing research - which he may well have done.  However, it hopefully means that the gene pool won't be too close!

Usually the owner of the Stud Dog requests first pick of the litter ......  get that newspaper ready  ;D

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2017, 03:31:52 PM »

What did he decide?

I had the chance to go to watch a dog show but because I can't own pets  :'( I opted to stay here.  It breaks my heart  :'(

Mbrown001

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2017, 07:30:17 PM »

Oh that's a shame CLKD. I love a dog show.
I showed my Golden Retreiver in quite a few shows and we got a few thirds a a few reserves. It was fun but she really wasn't show material. She couldn't concentrate and was too keen on being everyone's friend  ;D

Best dog I ever had. Gone over 15 years now and I still miss her.

Is it because you can't be a dog owner that upsets you. I have to say that having a dog takes my mind off me and focusses it on something else.....it's good for me even though my current dog is coming up on 15 and is very frail now.

Mrs Brown

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2017, 07:31:38 PM »

Responsibility = panic attacks  :'(.  I had to return cats (twice) to a rescue charity which broke my heart.  Panic set in and I was helpless.  Dry retching.  Couldn't eat.  They settled really well and were no trouble. 

Mbrown001

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2017, 07:44:54 PM »

The neighbours cats and dogs and minding them is ideal then.

All the pleasure with no worries.

I know about the worry with my little one but it is how it is for now.

Mrs Brown

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2017, 08:00:52 PM »

:thankyou:
Pages: [1] 2