Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Heart palpitations causing so much anxiety  (Read 3953 times)

Beckybecks

Heart palpitations causing so much anxiety
« on: May 16, 2017, 10:58:28 AM »

I'm battling to cope with heart palpitations at the moment.  I'm sure they are what most women my age experience in menopause but I'm a very anxious person and the palpitations just cause more anxiety and in turn faster heart rate and so it goes on.....
I work three times a week in an office and never experience it while I'm at work.  But on my days off and especially when I'm alone and sitting still, just relaxing, it starts.  I try to take my mind off it by getting busy but once the panic hits there seems no way out.
I have a history of general anxiety and panic attacks for the last 25 years.  I'm not on any medication and have a fear of taking anything so I haven't been to the doctor yet.
Does anyone else on here have similar experiences and what do you do about it? 
I'm trying some Chamomile tea at the moment.

nearly50

Re: Heart palpitations causing so much anxiety
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 11:19:25 AM »

I have them now and again but must admit I just ignore them as I know they're so common and I have had ECGs in the past with no problems shown. I did have really quite bad ones last week while speaking to a young person at work but to be honest I was more worried of causing him trauma by collapsing at his feet. Luckily I didn't. Not sure anything much helps, as it's so random I put it down to a random hormonal imbalance.

Beckybecks

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 01:18:54 PM »

Thank you for replying.  I'm pretty sure the anxiety doesn't help.  I'm not going to the doctor yet.  I feel that if it was something serious it wouldn't just happen randomly.  I hope I'm right there?  I don't even notice them at work, it's when I'm alone at home.  Nice to get some reassurance in this forum though.  Thanks again.  :)

nearly50

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2017, 01:38:22 PM »

I've had friends who have had a heart monitor for 24 hours, so I'm sure you could do that if you think it would put your mind at rest.

lesley998

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2017, 02:24:11 PM »

Becky, I suffer with this too. It's quite frightening...especially as I also get pauses, followed by  thump of a beat.  I've been checked out and its probably hormonal. Ive worn the holter monitor and had all sorts of echo scans and things as I was quite worried.  My cardiologist told me if it gets really bad, to try holding your breath and bearing down as if on the loo :) and also to massage the carotid pulse in the neck which can sometimes restore normal beats x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2017, 02:59:49 PM »

I get anxious when indigestion strikes in the night! but it's not got bad enough to go to the Dr.  Fortunately I'm not aware of my heart but when Himself had apnoea I would wake when he stopped breathing  ::).

The Change makes ladies more aware of the blips ........

Ronsmum

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2017, 08:49:16 AM »

Hey Becky, just thought I'd add that Ive been having palpitations  for several months. They are, by far, the most difficult part of the menopause for me. I hate them, they scare me and if I let them, they stop me getting on with my life.
Had ecg  which showed pvcs and pacs and later had a 24 hr monitor plus an echo. Thankfully my heart was fine although my ar*e wasn't at the time 😆
I do believe that anxiety makes them a lot worse. I've tried magnesium potassium motherwort calms and lots of alcohol 🍺 On occasion 😩
I've been on evorel conti patches for 6 weeks now and the palps are loads better. I do t want to say it out loud in case the buggers come back tho !
i really hope that everyone who suffers from these horrible palps gets some relief. They're very common for us women of a certain age .

babyjane

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2017, 10:17:49 AM »

For some reassurance go to youtube and type in York Cardiologist.  There is a series of brilliant talks by Dr Sanjay Gupta explaining in laymans terms what palpitaions and ectopic heartbeats can be all about.  I found it very reassuring and I also take a low dose SSRI and Betablocker to help with the anxiety that caused the palps.

Millykin

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2017, 10:30:36 AM »

I get these too really bad, they had faded into the background for while but have reared their ugly head again. Starting by feeling really hot then chest squeezing then heart racing for few minutes then all stopping really unnerved me few days later still there on and off, I have been under a bit of stress and I'm thinking my oestrogen has taken a dip.

Ronsmum

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2017, 10:34:33 AM »

I've seen those YouTube videos by Sanjay Gupta and they're really good.
Mine have faded again too. I'm so relieved. The patches must be working !!

Hurdity

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2017, 04:01:28 PM »

Some ectopics can be reduced by decreasing caffeine intake. I am prone to these (and was during pregnancy) and they always lessen when I cut down the caffeine. I am not an anxious person and take HRT but have noticed a few palpitations recently - no idea why. As long as you are checked out then no need to worry nor take medication. Beta-blockers are blood pressure lowering medication and were originally intended, I understand, for those with actual heart problems although I know they are prescribed for anxiety and palpitations in those without heart problems. Those who have low blood pressure though, like me, would likely end up with more problems than they solve! I also know that once you start taking them it can be difficult to stop - at least according to some reports from women on this forum.

Glad your palpitations have abated Ronsmum :)

Hurdity x

Ronsmum

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2017, 06:17:26 PM »

Thanks Hurdity.
It's a real pain this menopause malarkey but thank gawd for this forum. There's more advice and info on it then any dr could dish out.
Wishing  you all a peaceful and happy Sunday 😊